Fight Throw Back - Keith Hackney vs. Emmanuel Yarborough UFC 3 (I've got GIFS)

1stRoundMMA

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I try and watch random fights as much as possible since I have the means now and today I thought about the first fight I ever saw thanks to my dad renting the VHS at the local video store to show me what UFC was when I was around 6 or 7. This is the only fight I remember from that night, so I looked it up.

A lot of these early UFCs playout like some Street Fighter video game stuff, the retro aspect, color scheme, and music really sets off this cool ambiance.

Before the "Tale of the tape" existed, simply "Statistics"
Stats.png
You know you're in trouble when your opponent is trained in White Tiger Kenpo Kung Fu

Keith Hackney coming out with his crew. You can tell he is here to bang.
giphy.gif

Billed as 600lbs+ Emmanuel Yarborough making his was down the lane. May already be gassing.
giphy.gif

LETS GET IT ON! Keith unloads with the overhand open palm strike and puts the big man down.
giphy.gif

Emmanuel Yarborough recovers quickly and takes Hackney's back with Lesnaresqe ground and pound.
giphy.gif

Get that White Tiger Kung Fu shit outta here! Hackney gets thrown out of the cage like Uncle Phil used to throw out Jazz.
giphy.gif

Hackney comes back and drops the big man and drops BOMBS to that back of the head. Half a T-shirt left.
giphy.gif

A younger Big John with another good stoppage back in 1994! TKO win for Shirtless Hackney.
giphy.gif

All in all, good scrap. Emmanuel ran out of gas pretty early, but the Performance Institute wasn't a thing back then. Although Hackney was outweighed by 400 pounds, he played to his strengths and kept his distance. He stuck the overhand palm strikes effectively and put Emmanuel down for the count with back of the head strikes.

Interesting to note that Hackney won 1,000$ for this fight.. imagine how happy they would have been with today's Reebok sponsorships.

*I made these gifs, sorry if they're too big on mobile.. first attempt for me*

Hackney was probably on Cloud 9 after winning that fight

I wish I could feel that feeling just once

When Yarborough took Hackney’s back he should have flattened him out. You’re not getting back up with a 600 lb guy on top of you.

Definitely digging the post bro. Cool stuff.

Man I remember that night, what a fight it was, so exciting to watch. UFC may have better athletes now and the skills are better for sure, but the excitement is nowhere near what it was then. Back then i never would have thought Hackney wins, but wow, neither fighter moves on, what a finish, what a fight.

Man I remember that night, what a fight it was, so exciting to watch. UFC may have better athletes now and the skills are better for sure, but the excitement is nowhere near what it was then. Back then i never would have thought Hackney wins, but wow, neither fighter moves on, what a finish, what a fight.

Well the guys above are fighting for their lives almost

Its a real fucking fight you know. Its something you would see on the streets

Hackney just dropping bombs with no gloves on lol

Too bad Hackney didn’t know how to throw kicks or knees. Busted his hand on his melon and couldn’t fight the next round.

Thanks for putting together these gifs.

Threads like this provide quality content for this forum and its nice to see it when it happens once a year.

That was when I started watching, I love Hackney's onezy

I remember it well, those 2 minutes are much more entertaining than anything we get these days. I loved it.

I badly wanted Yarbrough to win at the time because I wanted to see how Royce would take him down and what would happen if Yarbrough was on top lol.. I wanted to see Royce try to triangle him or something. Would have been epic.

UFC 3 was such a fun event, and Joe Son running into the octagon, and Kimo coming out with the cross and then putting up a great fight with Royce and getting his ponytail pulled out haha. Great stuff. Thats when the sport was really ultimate fighting and not the pussified MTV stuff we get today

I try and watch random fights as much as possible since I have the means now and today I thought about the first fight I ever saw thanks to my dad renting the VHS at the local video store to show me what UFC was when I was around 6 or 7. This is the only fight I remember from that night, so I looked it up.

A lot of these early UFCs playout like some Street Fighter video game stuff, the retro aspect, color scheme, and music really sets off this cool ambiance.

View attachment 329899
You know you're in trouble when your opponent is trained in White Tiger Kenpo Kung Fu

giphy.gif

Billed as 600lbs+ Emmanuel Yarborough making his was down the lane. May already be gassing.
giphy.gif

LETS GET IT ON! Keith unloads with the overhand open palm strike and puts the big man down.
giphy.gif

Emmanuel Yarborough recovers quickly and takes Hackney's back with Lesnaresqe ground and pound.
giphy.gif

Get that White Tiger Kung Fu shit outta here! Hackney gets thrown out of the cage like Uncle Phil used to throw out Jazz.
giphy.gif

Hackney comes back and drops the big man and drops BOMBS to that back of the head. Half a T-shirt left.
giphy.gif

A younger Big John with another good stoppage back in 1994! TKO win for Shirtless Hackney.
giphy.gif

All in all, good scrap. Emmanuel ran out of gas pretty early, but the Performance Institute wasn't a thing back then. Although Hackney was outweighed by 400 pounds, he played to his strengths and kept his distance. He stuck the overhand palm strikes effectively and put Emmanuel down for the count with back of the head strikes.

Interesting to note that Hackney won 1,000$ for this fight.. imagine how happy they would have been with today's Reebok sponsorships.

Kudos Bro!! You should do more of these! How about some old Tank Abbott fights?

Last edited:
What's been lost of the feeling that ANYTHING could happen because you haven't seen 8 million fights that were all the same

That was also one of the first fights I ever watched and it helped get me hooked to MMA. It is hilarious and very entertaining. Hackney was tough as nails.

I remember the announcer(Brian Kilmeade?) saying Yarborough had experience in "Judu and Sumu." Lol

It was also the first fight I saw bc my dad showed me albeit different age.

Good stuff.

Kudos Bro!! You should do more if these! How about some old Tank Abbot fights?

Ill do an old Tank fight next, just for you my dude. Maybe as early as tomorrow if I have some time at the end of the day. I actually enjoyed making this.
Thanks for putting together these gifs.

Threads like this provide quality content for this forum and its nice to see it when it happens once a year.

Haha, thanks buddy. Really appreciate that. I knew you guys would like it.

Definitely digging the post bro. Cool stuff.

Thanks man. I like to talk about MMA, but all my casual friends don't give a shit unless it is about Conor, GSP or Jones. Even then they don't want to talk about it, they just want to watch their fights. I had a friend come over saturday and he was sleeping during round 1 of Ngannou and Stipe.
<{hughesimpress}>

Anyways, posting on here after my GF goes to bed (yeah im a whipped bitch) is a good release for the fanboy inside me.

this card was my introduction to nhb.. i still remember watching it on the black box with my pops.

Hackney was scrappy. This also a part of his greatest hits collection.
e5eeaaef674a2b20b121b38777b244a9.gif

Hackney was probably on Cloud 9 after winning that fight

I wish I could feel that feeling just once

I'll fucking say, had I beaten a dude weighing as much as the entire last two generations of my family combined, I'd be buying shots for the entire state.

View attachment 329899

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Thanks for the nostalgic throwback. Got to see this on VHS as well around ‘94 or ‘95. My intro to MMA. A guy I worked for in the Navy had rented it and loaned it to me. He said “you gotta check this shit out man, it’s the real deal!”

EDIT: also, if you keep this up you will being doing us all a service. Great to see this gem of a thread mixed in with the bullshit about whether or not Thug Rose should speak Ebonics and what color M&M’s DJ wants in his dressing room before he’ll sign to fight TJ.

Last edited:
Back