Fifty SpaceX Falcon BFR could technically enable sustainable orbital colonies for 2 million people

I’m not questioning whether or not you’re more knowledgeable than me at the subject of physics, but your formed analysis isn’t factual, it’s a prediction due to it being based on the future. We simply do not have even close to enough data to accurately predict where society will be at in 100 years, and the amount of growth that will happen. Civilization has never advanced this fast in history.

Either way we will be long gone by then, but it’s interesting you seem a little pessimistic about the subject seeing as you have an interest in it. Can I ask why?

I'm not pessimistic about the plausibility of practicable applications of "Sci Fi" physics -- but the timeline of within 100 years seems incredibly unrealistic -- Moores law doesn't really apply to the theoretical and we haven't even completed a unified theory, or determined what gravity is. It took 100 years to even detect gravitational waves after they were theorized -- so the scope of actually using it to work with warp drives is going to be a lengthy process. And, while people have been underestimating technological capabilities, we have also over estimated timelines -- people predicted flying cars and hover boards by 2000; biosphere cities, aquatic cities, etc. People can accurately assess current capabilities and make reasonable prediction on the progression and I have read a single thing that predicts that kind of technology anywhere near 100 years from now.

Fusion engines and annihilation drives are more likely -- methane fuel, hydrogen fuel -- Helium-3 deutrium applications, that's more tangible in the next 100 year.

Until we can turn dirt into water Mars is a pipe dream for human civilization.

Until we can build a magnetic field around Mars, man would have to live underground or in shielded above ground structures.

It would be much easier and cheaper to build a city in a desert than to build them in space.

meh who gives a fuck, would be better for us in the long run so we could mine and tap into the rescorces in space

Back