Fernando Vargas vs Donald Curry 154

XThe GreatestX

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Who wins
Im taking Vargas. Curry was to much up and down for my taste

Last edited:
phew, thats a tough one to break down.....

Vargas I guess. Curry was chinny and a frontrunner, Vargas generally got his shots in at some point. Vargas by KO after falling behind on points.

I really think the Vargas era of junior middleweights is a little underrated. Some awesome fight from that time.

phew, thats a tough one to break down.....

Vargas I guess. Curry was chinny and a frontrunner, Vargas generally got his shots in at some point. Vargas by KO after falling behind on points.

I really think the Vargas era of junior middleweights is a little underrated. Some awesome fight from that time.
I agree Curry was a frontrunner. Its one of those 50/50 fights though. Theres a really chance that Vargas would have not been in the fight, if Curry was able to land big shots early.

Man, I was really high on Curry at one point. He looked like he had it all. Not sure his chin was bad as much as his real weakness was his lack head movement with the tendency to leave his chin exposed. I know the Honeyghan loss was due to Curry draining himself and having outgrown 147. He never got to the level I expected him to attain. Vargas on the other hand was a beast for the very short time he was at his "peak". The Trinidad fight ruined him, but he showed unreal heart in that fight and I'd pick him to win because of it.

Man, I was really high on Curry at one point. He looked like he had it all. Not sure his chin was bad as much as his real weakness was his lack head movement with the tendency to leave his chin exposed. I know the Honeyghan loss was due to Curry draining himself and having outgrown 147. He never got to the level I expected him to attain. Vargas on the other hand was a beast for the very short time he was at his "peak". The Trinidad fight ruined him, but he showed unreal heart in that fight and I'd pick him to win because of it.

I agree, as most prob do, that the Trinidad fight cut his career in half.

Also agree with Seano that 154, as well 147-154 was superb around his peaking 199-2005 time, which transitioned into another great 147-154 era, once Mayweather and Cotto transitioned to those weights.

Back