Fenn's Strength log

• Thread starter Deleted member 130905
  • Start date
Wednesday 8/15/2012

Monday I had to power wash the outside of the house, which took 4 hours, and then Monday afternoon until Tuesday night I was dealing with a funeral and burial, so I couldn't get to the gym. Then today I woke up with a terrible pain in my upper torso, started out on the left side in the front, then when I got to the gym it moved to the back on the right. Skipped presses because I couldn't even do the motion of pressing without the bar, so just a lot of SMR on it and it loosened it up enough to deadlift.

Deadlifts (still no belt)
405x3
445x3

45 degree back extensions
+25x10x3

Machine low pull rows
1 plates per side x 15 x 3 (trying to loosen up that spot in my back)

Overall, it was a decent day, especially considering I thought my lung exploded when I lifted the bar before doing a shit ton of SMR on my back. 445 felt heavy and slow as fuck, but on video it looks better than it feels for sure, and I have always been a slow puller.

Friday I'll squat and hopefully bench but if my back is better I'll skip bench and just press, because fuck bench.

Thursday 8/17/2012

My back felt fine this morning and I had plenty of time before work so I figured I'd go get a quick upper session. I was in and out in probably less than 30 minutes.

Press
180x3x2

Chest supported rows
2plates + 25lb plate x 10 x 3

Tricep pushdowns
10x3

Standing DB strict press
45's x 10 x 2
45's x 8

Good day, but got in to a car accident on the way home. I got rear ended at a red light and was pretty pissed.

Press feels good, 180 was not hard at all, and I really like chest supported rows for my back.

Friday 8/17/2012

Squats
315x3
355x3

Chest supported rows
2plates + 25lb plate x 10 x 2

45 degree hypers
+25lb x 10 x 2

Reverse hypers
BW x 10 x 2

Squats felt good, but form was a little fucky. I don't know if I didn't warm up enough or if it was because my abs were uber sore from fucking around with the ab wheel last night, but they were still easy.

Monday 8/20/2012

Deadlifts (still no belt and chalk)
405x3
435x1
455x3

Chest supported rows
2 plates +35lb plate x 10 x 3

+25 x 10 x 2
BW x 10

Side bends
45lb plate x 10 x 3 (per side)

All assistance supersetted.

Decent day today, 435 felt really good, 455 felt pretty heavy. I really wish I could figure out a way to be a faster puller, because all of my pulls are slow as shit. I am starting to really like chest supported rows more than even regular rows. My back was screaming with the weight added to the back extensions, so I dropped it on the last set.

Wednesday 8/22/2012

Press
185x3x2

Bench
205x5x2

Chest supported rows
3 plates x 10 x 3

Tricep pushdowns
10x3

DB Bench
60's x 10 x 3

Good day today, everything felt fairly strong. My left tricep is killing me for some reason, but I got really drunk at the beach yesterday so I'll just assume I did something stupid there. Squats Friday.

Friday 8/24/2012

I've been sleeping like total shit the past 2 or 3 nights so I knew it would be a bad today, but it was worse than I thought, actually. I also don't know if the bar I was using was 55lbs or not, but I'm just assuming 45lbs for now.

Squats
315x3
335x1
365x3

Just left after this, my lower back wasn't feeling good at all and I wanted to just go relax before work. I'll probably see what I can do next week and if it goes terribly I'll probably reevaluate, but we will see.

Tuesday 8/25/2012

A little short on time today so just deadlifts and left. I was planning on possibly on doing that anyway because my neck and back have been hurting since the accident (I've been getting bad headaches, too). I have a doctor's appointment Thursday.

Deadlifts
405x 1 or 2
435x1
465x1

All beltless, and I'm trying to keep my hips a bit higher than I usually do, I think it is helping my speed off the floor, but the weight is still light so we will see once the weight gets heavier. Upper body tomorrow.

Thursday 8/30/2012

Press
195x3x2

Chest supported rows
3 plates x 10 x 3

Tricep pushdowns
10x3

Curls
10x3

All the assistance was supersetted as usual. Chest supported rows rule.

Press was a little tough, nothing crazy but a bit of a grind. 200 next week will probably be a little tough, if it is I'll probably switch to push presses the following week.

Monday 9/3/2012

Not a great day, only had about 40 minutes because the gym closed at noon and I didn't know. Plus, I was on my feet all day at work Friday, went out and got wasted and walked over 2 miles home, then was on my feet again for another 11 hours Saturday.

Deadlifts
405x3
435x1
465x3

Chest supported rows
3 plates x 10 x 3

BWx10x3

Deadlifts felt great up until the last set, 435 felt really good. I have been trying to keep my hips a bit higher and my speed feels much better, but it is still a bit odd on the heavier sets. The weights got out in front of me on the first rep of 465 and it kind of screwed things up.

I am about at the tipping point with this add 10lbs a week for a triple thing I think, so I may just drop down a bit and switch to doubles and see what happens from there.

Wednesday 9/5/2012

Upper back and hamstrings were fairly sore from deadlifts the other day. Other than that, I have been sleeping really well lately so I felt pretty good today.

Press
175x2
200x3
200x2 + F

Close grip bench
185x8x3

Curls
40's x 10 x 3

DB Flies
25's x 10 x 3

Press felt OK, but on the video I seem to be using a bit of leg drive which pisses me off but I kind of wanted to switch to push press anyway, so this seems like a decent excuse to do that. Fuck regular benching, close grip is where it's at.

Thursday 9/20/2012

Took last week off because I was feeling a little run down, then from Monday-Wednesday was a bit crazy at work so this was my first time getting to lift this week.

Deadlifts
405x1
445x1
-belt on-
475x1

45 degree hypers
BWx10x3

Lat pulldowns
10x3

On the 475 set, it felt pretty decent even though the bar got out in front of me again, although less than usual I think. But when I put the bar down, I feel like I tweaked or strained something in my right glute. The shit hurt so I decided to scrap trying to go for 500.

Your press is strong relative to your bench, do you prefer pressing?

Saturday 9/22/2012

Low on time today so I just wanted to get in and squat. I haven't squatted in close to a month so I figured I'd just focus on that to try and get back on track next week.

Squats
315x3
335x3
345x3

In between the 335 and 345 sets my lower back was getting really tight, so I went and used the lower back machine that DS always vouched for and it worked pretty decent to loosen it up. I did like 40 or 50 reps at a low weight.

Squats felt much better than I expected, especially after the long layoff. I realized on the 335 set that I was slowing down because I was expecting the weight to be tough, and remembered that article that Dave Tate wrote about that and the 345 set was much better when I was trying to squat faster (duh).

Your press is strong relative to your bench, do you prefer pressing?

Yes, I much prefer pressing. I've just always been pathetically bad at benching and I'm OK at pressing, so that definitely helps me enjoy it more for sure.

Yes, I much prefer pressing. I've just always been pathetically bad at benching and I'm OK at pressing, so that definitely helps me enjoy it more for sure.

I go through phases as to what I prefer. I'm the opposite of you in regards to bench and press though. Nice work.

That's the.nicest way I've ever heard someone say they completely suck at the second.most.important lift in the known universe. You know behind curls

Thursday 9/27/2012

I attempted to lift Monday, but my lower back was still really sore from deadlifting and then squatting the few days prior. I decided just to shut it down, as a lower back injury isn't something I'd be too happy with right now. This will be my one and only day in the gym this week, work has been fucked up lately.

Squats (all beltless)
315x1
345x1
365x1
385x1
405x1

Push press
205x3x2

Chest supported rows/Tricep push downs
(3 plates x10/ Stack x 10) x 3 sets

Lower back machine
25 reps

This is my first time squatting 405 since I started lifting again in July, and it was pretty easy I'd say. Squats feel really good lately, I wish deadlifts would catch up. Push presses felt awkward as all fuck, so I took it light. They were incredibly easy but my form went full retard.

I'm not exactly happy with the depth, I think I cut it slightly high, but the other reps I was real deep, and I never have a problem with depth, so fuck it.

I go through phases as to what I prefer. I'm the opposite of you in regards to bench and press though. Nice work.

I hate bench 100% of the time. If I was good at it I think I may like it a little bit, but I don't so fuck it lol

That's the.nicest way I've ever heard someone say they completely suck at the second.most.important lift in the known universe. You know behind curls

Curls > tricep kickbacks > bench.

Back