Fenn's Strength log

• Thread starter Deleted member 130905
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 130905

I've been debating whether or not I should start a log or not, and today I decided screw it, why not? Criticisms, critiques, suggestions and tips are not only welcome, but encouraged. So, a little background on my history of lifting...

Started when I was 15, got my gym membership but never worked out too much, or correct for that matter. Then, when I hit high school, we needed to attend weight room for football. That's when I was really introduced to the 'Big 3' and was getting much stronger.

After high school, I stayed local for college and stopped lifting all together so I could work a lot more. Dumb choice, but I stopped lifting for over a year and lost A LOT of strength. I got back in to it of October of last year, so it's been almost a year. When I got back in to lifting in October, it consisted of mostly all machines and NO squatting or deadlifting. Since lurking on S&P for a few months, I've totally changed the way I workout and finally actually LOVE lifting. So, with that, here are my stats...

Height: 6'4"
Weight 255 lbs

Squat: 465
Deadlift: 545
Bench: 295
OHP: 225x1x3
Push Press: 265
Jerk: 295

Goals are simple, I want to get bigger, stronger and more explosive. The supplements I take are whey protein, creatine mono (EE soon) fish oil and thinking of starting up Beta-alanine.

Here goes nothing....

EDIT: 2010 goals:

-Squat-500 (current 405 )
-Deadlift-555 (current 500)
-Bench-300 (current 275)
-Strict press- 225 (current 210)
-Jerk-300 (current 275)
-Lose some BF, not sure on how much, just get jakt and tanned.

Last edited by a moderator:
TUESDAY 9/11

Was really hurting today since I got no sleep the last 2 nights and decided to take it easy. I'm doing the p/p/s workout, so I DLed, RDLed and B.O.R's today.

DL- 225x5, 235x5, 255x5, 265x5, 275x5 (definitely should have went with more weight)
RDL- 135x5, 145x5, 155x5
B.O.R- 135x5, 145x5, 155x5

Felt OK afterwards, but later that night and Wednesday, man I was hurting. I wasn't taking my medication for a few days straight as well, so this makes me very lethargic and tired which didn't help.

Thursday 9/13

REALLY felt like shit today and had a pretty bad day at the gym, no way to get around that. I haven't had a bad day in a while so I guess I was due.

Bench Press- 185x5, 195x5, 205x5, 215x3(failed 4th rep), 220x3(failed 4th rep)
Dips- 5xBW, 5xBW, 3xBW( failed 4th rep)
Close Grip Bench- 135x5, 145x5, 155x5.

My DL day on Tuesday kind of fried me. I'm thinking of possibly moving that to Saturday so I can get 2 full days off after it. What do you guys think?

EDIT: Went back to the gym tonight with the broad to play some racquetball and ended up lifting a little bit. Tried snatches and 1 arm DB snatches for the first time and a little ab work.

1 arm DB snatch- 50x5 each arm
Snatch- 95x5 (first time doing this so went light, felt good afterwards though and REALLY liked this lift).
Decline sit ups with 45 lb plate x 20
Ab pulldowns on the universal-40x10, 50x10 (was really 80 and 100 because there was 2 handles I was using, 40 and 50 lbs on each)

Nice log, bro.

Looks like your numbers are pretty solid for starting back.

What kind of medication are you taking, if you don't mind me asking?

As far as the deadlift is concerned: quality of rest > days rested.

In other words, 48 hours will be fine if you eat well, sleep well, and do some active recovery.

Contrast showers and massages work well. Foam rollers are considered top-notch on this board, though I've never used one myself.

Good luck.

The medication I'm on is Synthroid. I have a very under active thyroid, which causes tiredness, stomach problems and a few other things.

I have to look in to this foam roller, where can you get them from, and is that the actual name of them?

foam rollers work really well for me. I just picked one up a couple of weeks ago. The first couple of times is brutal, like busting up gravel...
You can them at Dick's, Target, online, etc

Just checked K-mart.com and came up with nothing. What do they look like? Pictures/descriptions would help :icon_chee

K-mart has them in the pool section for $4.

Are you talking about pool noodles?
istockphoto_290885_pool_noodles.jpg

Nice log. Good baseline to start from. You should have started your log a long time ago. It's of tremendous help. Not only do you track your progress but you have a bunch of people chime in with advice/critique/compliments/random humorous things that will clog up pages of your log....lol..

I got my foam roller from elitefts.com....they have free shipping with order of 30 or more...i think....it cost me 19.99......it's probably what you need since you're a bigger guy....most of the cheapo ones dont last as long and probably wont handle someone your size for long....

good luck bro.

definitely get a foam roller, i got one last week and it's great, at first glance you won't believe you are paying that much for a piece of foam but it really does work great

I just got a foam roller a couple weeks ago too. It's really good for my back.

Nice log. Good baseline to start from. You should have started your log a long time ago. It's of tremendous help. Not only do you track your progress but you have a bunch of people chime in with advice/critique/compliments/random humorous things that will clog up pages of your log....lol..

I got my foam roller from elitefts.com....they have free shipping with order of 30 or more...i think....it cost me 19.99......it's probably what you need since you're a bigger guy....most of the cheapo ones dont last as long and probably wont handle someone your size for long....

good luck bro.

LOL I know I should have, but when I thought about doing it I was in the middle of the routine and told myself I'd start it at the beginning of this p/p/s routine.

What the hell do you use the foam roller for? How do you use it?? /dumbassquestion.

That seems interesting. I would never thought that that would work lol.

BTW guys, I edited my workout from 9/13 and did snatches and 1 arm DB snatches as well.

They are stiffer and shorter than pool noodles. Mine is about 3ft long. They're in the same section though.

I'm a cheap bastard and hate paying for S&H, so maybe I'll look at K-mart today.

Back