Female zookeeper dies in UK tiger 'freak accident'

Thats quite a stretch, humans are efficient killers because of our intellects, not our teamwork, a gun is a product of human intellect that has little to no analogue in the animal kingdom, thats why im not counting humans.
upload_2017-5-30_16-32-42.gif

This is precisely the point. I don't understand how you think you can separate the two in the case of our species. We do not depend on our instincts. You might think, "Aha! Yes! See! That's because we use our intellects! Now you see that I am right!" Except...that you haven't stopped to consider what that means. It means that virtually everything we know about killing is a learned trait. Unlike instinct, the learning upon which we depend isn't written into our genetic code. It must be acquired, and that inevitably comes from other humans. We also depend on our parents for survival for an incredible length of time due to this: far, far more than any other animal known to me; including predators which tend to be more cerebral and also model their behavior on observation and practice.

Imagine an individual tiger raised by aliens from infancy. No instruction. Nothing. Just enough sustenance to keep it going-- but not domesticate or placate it-- until it was grown. Release it in the wild where there are available suitable natural prey. How do you think that tiger fares?
Now, do the same thing with a human. No instruction. Same treatment. Now release it into the wild as an adult with no tools or shared knowledge or friends. How do you think it fares?

To use one of my all-time favorite jokes and most brilliant reminders of how small I am:

View attachment 233895

This is precisely the point. I don't understand how you think you can separate the two in the case of our species. We do not depend on our instincts. You might think, "Aha! Yes! See! That's because we use our intellects! Now you see that I am right!" Except...that you haven't stopped to consider what that means. It means that virtually everything we know about killing is a learned trait. Unlike instinct, the learning upon which we depend isn't written into our genetic code. It must be acquired, and that inevitably comes from other humans. We also depend on our parents for survival for an incredible length of time due to this; far, far more than most other animals-- including predators which tend to be more cerebral and also model their behavior on observation and practice.

Imagine a individual tiger raised by aliens from infancy. No instruction. Nothing. Just enough sustenance to keep it going-- but not domesticate or placate it-- until it was grown. Release it in the wild where there are available suitable natural prey. How do you think that tiger fares?
Now, do the same thing with a human. No instruction. Same treatment. Now release it into the wild as an adult with no tools or shared knowledge or friends. How do you think it fares?

To use one of my all-time favorite jokes and most brilliant reminders of how small I am:

Which is fine if you want to go there but completely unecesary and boring if you are trying to determine which animal is the deadliest predator.

Thats like when someone brings up which is the deadliest man-killer everyone brings the insignificant mosquito.

Which is fine if you want to go there but completely unecesary and boring if you are trying to determine which animal is the deadliest predator.

Thats like when someone brings up which is the deadliest man-killer everyone brings the insignificant mosquito.
That's because it kills the most people. Is this about volume of prey, now?

I think I elected a rather sensible interpretation of what most "efficient" killer means. You're all over the map.

That's because it kills the most people. Is this about volume of prey, now?

I think I elected a rather sensible interpretation of what most "efficient" killer means. You're all over the map.

Efficient as in it can kill the most variety of animals in the quickest way possible if we talk about efficiency in terms of catching its prey i would assume that its something like a spider.

Could she have tried to out "alpha" it in any way to maybe stop the attack? Or would have that just provoked it and would have been better to play dead? I mean this ultimately is a zoo tiger and is more comfortable around people and likely well fed - was it killing for sport? Saw it's chance and took it?

If the attack went on for 15 minutes to the point the other zoo keepers were throwing meat at it - does that mean it was a smaller zoo? I'd imagine zoo's would have a ERT of sorts - or are police just called to ultimately handle it?
Most likely she didn't even see it coming and she would have a better chance of scaring off a wild tiger that's not used to see people.

Most zoos in the US do have an ERT or plan of some sort and lots of zoos do have firearms on grounds for this exact situation. I can't speak for this facility

Efficient as in it can kill the most variety of animals in the quickest way possible if we talk about efficiency in terms of catching its prey i would assume that its something like a spider.
I think you're overlooking a criterion that is essential for the tiger to hope to win even this: size of the prey.

After all, the turkeys pecking the ground out in my yard kill all sorts of bugs. Most predators are bullies. That's another metric where I think tigers tend to stand out.

IIRC, there was a whole thread on the subject of Tigers vs Grizzlies. Apparently, that shit used to happen back in nineteenth century; tigers and grizzlies would be forced to fight while people placed bets. It wasn't unknown for a Grizzly to snap a Tiger's spine with a single blow.

That said, we need @Zookeeper Gabe to call this fight. Tiger vs Grizzly, both healthy, after a full Camp and with That Look in their eyes. Who takes it?:)
Prime male grizzly, the vast majority of the time, IMO.

Back