Female zookeeper dies in UK tiger 'freak accident'

You mean brains, because i remember a show that had tigers put into a reserve in Africa and they killed prey like it was nothing, while lions usually struggle.
No, I think teamwork matters more to success than brains. The two usually go together.

I don't think any tiger beats a full grown Kodiak grizzly.

Interspecific predatory relationships

Taxidermy exhibit portraying a Siberian tiger fighting a brown bear, Vladivostok Museum
Following a decrease of ungulate populations from 1944 to 1959, more than 32 cases[quantify] of Amur tigers attacking both Brown and Asian black bears were recorded in the Russian Far East, and hair of bears were found in several tiger scat samples. Tigers attack Asian black bears less often than brown bears, as latter live in more open habitat and are not able to climb trees. In the same time period, four cases of brown bears killing female and young tigers were reported, both in disputes over prey and in self-defense. Tigers can tackle bears larger than themselves, using an ambushing tactic and jumping onto the bear from an overhead position, grabbing it by the chin with one fore paw and by the throat with the other, and then killing it with a bite in the spinal column.[citation needed] Tigers mainly feed on the bear's fat deposits, such as the back, hams, and groin.[2]

Amur tigers regularly prey on young bears and sub-adult brown bears. Reports of preying on fully grown small female adult Ussuri brown bears by a big male tiger are common as well.[15][31] Predation by tigers on denned brown bears was not detected during a study carried between 1993 and 2002.[33] Ussuri brown bears, along with the smaller Asian black bears constitute 2.1% of the Siberian tiger's annual diet,[34] of which 1.4% are brown bears.[34][35] Certain tigers have been reported to imitate the calls of Asian black bears to attract them.[36]

Bears are said by a source to be generally afraid of tigers, and changed their path after coming across tiger trails;[2][not in citation given] however, this is disputed. In the winters of 1970–1973, Yudakov and Nikolaev recorded two cases of bears showing no fear of tigers and another case of a brown bear changing path upon crossing tiger tracks.[37] Other researchers have observed bears following tiger tracks to scavenge tiger kills and to potentially prey on tigers.[2][34] Despite the threat of predation, some brown bears actually benefit from the presence of tigers by appropriating tiger kills that the bears may not be able to successfully hunt themselves.[34] Brown bears generally prefer to contest the much smaller female tigers.[38] During telemetry research in the Sikhote-Alin protected area, 44 direct confrontations between bears and tigers were observed, in which bears in general were killed in 22 cases, and tigers in 12 cases.[39] There are reports of brown bears specifically targeting Amur leopards and tigers to abstract their prey. In the Sikhote-Alin reserve, 35% of tiger kills were stolen by bears, with tigers either departing entirely or leaving part of the kill for the bear.[40] Some studies show that bears frequently track down tigers to usurp their kills, with occasional fatal outcomes for the tiger. A report from 1973 describes twelve known cases of brown bears killing tigers, including adult males; in all cases the tigers were subsequently eaten by the bears.[41][42]

The relationship between the Amur tiger and the brown and Himalayan bear is not specifically studied. Numerous publications on these species there are mainly episodic and survey data on this issue are collected by different authors in selected areas which do not give a complete picture of the nature.[34]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siberian_tiger#Interspecific_predatory_relationships

No, I think teamwork matters more to success than brains. The two usually go together.

Indeed, but that doesnt changes the fact that the Tiger is the ultimate land based killer. Besides humans of course.

Can you even fucking imagine just going about your regular day, hearing a clank over your shoulder and turning around to be face to face with the most efficient killing machine in the animal kingdom?

552863-tigers7.jpg

Bitch, please.

Grizzly>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Tiger.

Interspecific predatory relationships

Taxidermy exhibit portraying a Siberian tiger fighting a brown bear, Vladivostok Museum
Following a decrease of ungulate populations from 1944 to 1959, more than 32 cases[quantify] of Amur tigers attacking both Brown and Asian black bears were recorded in the Russian Far East, and hair of bears were found in several tiger scat samples. Tigers attack Asian black bears less often than brown bears, as latter live in more open habitat and are not able to climb trees. In the same time period, four cases of brown bears killing female and young tigers were reported, both in disputes over prey and in self-defense. Tigers can tackle bears larger than themselves, using an ambushing tactic and jumping onto the bear from an overhead position, grabbing it by the chin with one fore paw and by the throat with the other, and then killing it with a bite in the spinal column.[citation needed] Tigers mainly feed on the bear's fat deposits, such as the back, hams, and groin.[2]

Amur tigers regularly prey on young bears and sub-adult brown bears. Reports of preying on fully grown small female adult Ussuri brown bears by a big male tiger are common as well.[15][31] Predation by tigers on denned brown bears was not detected during a study carried between 1993 and 2002.[33] Ussuri brown bears, along with the smaller Asian black bears constitute 2.1% of the Siberian tiger's annual diet,[34] of which 1.4% are brown bears.[34][35] Certain tigers have been reported to imitate the calls of Asian black bears to attract them.[36]

Bears are said by a source to be generally afraid of tigers, and changed their path after coming across tiger trails;[2][not in citation given] however, this is disputed. In the winters of 1970–1973, Yudakov and Nikolaev recorded two cases of bears showing no fear of tigers and another case of a brown bear changing path upon crossing tiger tracks.[37] Other researchers have observed bears following tiger tracks to scavenge tiger kills and to potentially prey on tigers.[2][34] Despite the threat of predation, some brown bears actually benefit from the presence of tigers by appropriating tiger kills that the bears may not be able to successfully hunt themselves.[34] Brown bears generally prefer to contest the much smaller female tigers.[38] During telemetry research in the Sikhote-Alin protected area, 44 direct confrontations between bears and tigers were observed, in which bears in general were killed in 22 cases, and tigers in 12 cases.[39] There are reports of brown bears specifically targeting Amur leopards and tigers to abstract their prey. In the Sikhote-Alin reserve, 35% of tiger kills were stolen by bears, with tigers either departing entirely or leaving part of the kill for the bear.[40] Some studies show that bears frequently track down tigers to usurp their kills, with occasional fatal outcomes for the tiger. A report from 1973 describes twelve known cases of brown bears killing tigers, including adult males; in all cases the tigers were subsequently eaten by the bears.[41][42]

The relationship between the Amur tiger and the brown and Himalayan bear is not specifically studied. Numerous publications on these species there are mainly episodic and survey data on this issue are collected by different authors in selected areas which do not give a complete picture of the nature.[34]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siberian_tiger#Interspecific_predatory_relationships

A grizzly is a subspecies of a regular brown bear. Tigers will not beat a Kodak grizzly.

The skeleton of a tiger is weak compared to a bear. Bone density, layers of fat and raw power are all on the Kodiaks side

A grizzly is a subspecies of a regular brown bear. Tigers will not beat a Kodak grizzly.

The skeleton of a tiger is weak compared to a bear. Bone density, layers of fat and raw power are all on the Kodiaks side

IIRC, there was a whole thread on the subject of Tigers vs Grizzlies. Apparently, that shit used to happen back in nineteenth century; tigers and grizzlies would be forced to fight while people placed bets. It wasn't unknown for a Grizzly to snap a Tiger's spine with a single blow.

That said, we need @Zookeeper Gabe to call this fight. Tiger vs Grizzly, both healthy, after a full Camp and with That Look in their eyes. Who takes it?:)

IIRC, there was a whole thread on the subject of Tigers vs Grizzlies. Apparently, that shit used to happen back in nineteenth century; tigers and grizzlies would be forced to fight while people placed bets. It wasn't unknown for a Grizzly to snap a Tiger's spine with a single blow.

That said, we need @Zookeeper Gabe to call this fight. Tiger vs Grizzly, both healthy, after a full Camp and with That Look in their eyes. Who takes it?:)

It's really got to come down to an individual level when it comes to bear vs tiger. The situation setting up the fight has to matter a lot. Is the tiger ambushing? Is it a straight up fight? What age are the animals and what health? How desperate are they for food? Things like that would all add up. Tigers have absolutely been known to prey on bears, but I'm sure plenty of tigers fell victim to a predatory bear before too.

JFC. I'm not saying anything about tigers vs grizzlies in a thread where a peer of mine lost her fucking life. Grow up.

This is a freak accident (not the animal killing her but being in the same place at the same time), people need to understand between moving animals and going into enclosures we do this many times in a single day.
The zoo most likely wasn't negligent and it was most likely Human error (it usually is). This is the reality of our jobs and it can happen with a simple slip up, you really need to be on at all times.

Also to the rest of you, zoos are not like prisons or circuses and if you have that ignorant of a view of zoos maybe do a little research from both sides. Stop feeding into the AR bullshit that's gets spewed and they are using this girls death as a jumping point. No not all zoos are good but certainly not all zoos are bad, stop being so narrowed minded.

Yeah I've read similar stories as well.

Both animals have different adaptations for hunting and a tiger is not built to fight a Kodiak. A grizzly would maul a tiger. They're far to powerfully built

If they're going head up against each other the Bear will most likely win every time as evidenced by them being known to chase a tiger away from it's kill.

I still think a Tiger can sneak up on a Kodiak and take it out.

I would've had that tiger tapping to a high elbow guillotine as soon as it shot in.

If you guys thought this one was rough...

There's a 'zoo' near us in the Lake District called 'south lakes animal park'
Oh man.. I heard it got shut down but also heard it's opening back in a different name with a new owner,

So yeah me and my wife went years ago, it's mad for a UK zoo how many animals are free roaming, from Emus, kangaroos, lemurs and loads of other stuff. Not caged just free roaming areas, they were attacking kids prams for foods etc was a nightmare
Anyway... so we pay a quid to feed the lemurs some banana, and this one particular lemur tryed to pull my wife's handbag and steal it, so this particular zoo keeper girl breaks its up and puts him in a 'quarantine' pen, has a joke with us for a bit and on we go with the day

That was Saturday..

Sunday we hear all this rumbling about a tiger killing someone at the zoo, after a little research we learned it was the girl we were talking to that saved us from the lemur :eek:

All sorts of shitty reports came out that it was suicide etc but I think the jury is out now that she went in the tigers cage to do something, the lock was faulty and boom! Tiger stood behind her in a zoo full of guests.. can you even imagine how much that would fuckin hurt

JFC. I'm not saying anything about tigers vs grizzlies in a thread where a peer of mine lost her fucking life. Grow up.

This is a freak accident (not the animal killing her but being in the same place at the same time), people need to understand between moving animals and going into enclosures we do this many times in a single day.
The zoo most likely wasn't negligent and it was most likely Human error (it usually is). This is the reality of our jobs and it can happen with a simple slip up, you really need to be on at all times.

Also to the rest of you, zoos are not like prisons or circuses and if you have that ignorant of a view of zoos maybe do a little research from both sides. Stop feeding into the AR bullshit that's gets spewed and they are using this girls death as a jumping point. No not all zoos are good but certainly not all zoos are bad, stop being so narrowed minded.

I'm sorry Gabe. It truly is sad news.

What is the protocol with the tiger in a situation like this? From the stories I read I can't seem to find out if it was killed already. I really hope its not killed in this situation, but im sure it will be.

I'm sorry Gabe. It truly is sad news.

What is the protocol with the tiger in a situation like this? From the stories I read I can't seem to find out if it was killed already. I really hope its not killed in this situation, but im sure it will be.
Im not sure exactly if it was killed or not, if it hadn't been killed at the time they won't put it down. They main reason to kill is to retrieve the person and the animal won't leave the body. So basically if there's a chance the person is still alive or just because the animal won't leave it's kill.

Could she have tried to out "alpha" it in any way to maybe stop the attack? Or would have that just provoked it and would have been better to play dead? I mean this ultimately is a zoo tiger and is more comfortable around people and likely well fed - was it killing for sport? Saw it's chance and took it?

If the attack went on for 15 minutes to the point the other zoo keepers were throwing meat at it - does that mean it was a smaller zoo? I'd imagine zoo's would have a ERT of sorts - or are police just called to ultimately handle it?

Indeed, but that doesnt changes the fact that the Tiger is the ultimate land based killer. Besides humans of course.
But it isn't. Not in that context. If you hadn't added the humans then I would merely interpret you to mean what I believe Kong genuinely intended which was an appraisal of its individual ability to kill just about anything, and to kill it rather quickly.

If you're regarding us, humans, who are some of the clumsiest, slowest, weakest, and least naturally weaponized animals in existence in the absence of a tool, then we aren't even in the top 1000 using that context. All of our best tools-- like guns-- took the teamwork of many of us (and many generations) to invent and refine. So even if you're a guy with the skillset to build a gun & bullets from scratch yourself, including the machines to build the gun, and then also to hunt with it, you're not really working alone. You're an individual using shared IP that you couldn't have possibly created by yourself in the span of your life.

If humans are the "ultimate land-based killer", then next up is the species with the highest rate of success besides ourselves because that's the only measure by which we can be regarded as the best. Tigers ain't even close.

But it isn't. Not in that context. If you hadn't added the humans then I would merely interpret you to mean what I believe Kong genuinely intended which was an appraisal of its individual ability to kill just about anything, and to kill it rather quickly.

If you're regarding us, humans, who are some of the clumsiest, slowest, weakest, and least naturally weaponized animals in existence in the absence of a tool, then we aren't even in the top 1000 using that context. All of our best tools-- like guns-- took the teamwork of many of us (and many generations) to invent and refine. So even if you're a guy with the skillset to build a gun & bullets from scratch yourself, including the machines to build the gun, and then also to hunt with it, you're not really working alone. You're an individual using shared IP that you couldn't have possibly created by yourself in the span of your life.

If humans are the "ultimate land-based killer", then next up is the species with the highest rate of success besides ourselves because that's the only measure by which we can be regarded as the best. Tigers ain't even close.

Thats quite a stretch, humans are efficient killers because of our intellects, not our teamwork, a gun is a product of human intellect that has little to no analogue in the animal kingdom, thats why im not counting humans.

Also highest rate of success to determine deadliest predator is kind of boring, im sure there is an insect out there that its the terror of other insects, but thats quite boring.

I think deadliest predator should take into account besides kill-rate, to take into consideration the size of the victims and the killing methods.

Back