Felix Trinidad Top 5

In Floyds case though, he takes a lot of flack for a resume that is actually pretty deep.
I think Floyd is one of the all time greats and has one of the best resumes in terms of names. If you examine the individual circumstances though some of his biggest fights were against guys with some handicap or another. JMM is a perfect example. The size difference between them is comparable to Floyd and GGG. Why is beating JMM such a great accomplishment, yet a fight against GGG wouldn't have been fair?

P.S. I do agree he has a lot of haters for whatever reason, but, it's still possible to be an impartial fan that thinks he chose his opponents too carefully.

Last edited:
I think Floyd is one of the all time greats and has one of the best resumes in terms of names. If you examine the individual circumstances though some of his biggest fights were against guys with some handicap or another. JMM is a perfect example. The size difference between them is comparable to Floyd and GGG. Why is beating JMM such a great accomplishment, yet a fight against GGG wouldn't have been fair?

P.S. I do agree he has a lot of haters for whatever reason, but, it's still possible to be an impartial fan that thinks he chose his opponents too carefully.
If Floyds entire resume were the Marquez fight, I'd agree. Marquez is one of the greatest fighters of this era though and he KO'd Pac at welter when he was still relevant. Its a very good win, another of several fighters on his resume ranked in the top 10 p4p.

Why is Duran a good win for Hagler? Because he was a legitimate ATG. Why was Hearns a good win for Hagler? Again, because he was one of the best to step in the ring in that era.

Why does this shit suddenly not count in the Floyd era? Its a popularity thing. Just like people hated Khan vs Canelo but excused Golovkin vs Brook or Lomachenko vs Rigondeaux.

If Floyds entire resume were the Marquez fight, I'd agree. Marquez is one of the greatest fighters of this era though and he KO'd Pac at welter when he was still relevant. Its a very good win, another of several fighters on his resume ranked in the top 10 p4p.

Why is Duran a good win for Hagler? Because he was a legitimate ATG. Why was Hearns a good win for Hagler? Again, because he was one of the best to step in the ring in that era.

Why does this shit suddenly not count in the Floyd era? Its a popularity thing. Just like people hated Khan vs Canelo but excused Golovkin vs Brook or Lomachenko vs Rigondeaux.
Yes, I agree some people just have a bias and those opponents are pretty similar. As far as Hagler I don't think he gets a bunch of credit for beating Duran. I give more credit to Duran, being the smaller guy, for doing that well in the fight. Anyway if we all agreed on everything this place would be pretty boring.

Yes, I agree some people just have a bias and those opponents are pretty similar. As far as Hagler I don't think he gets a bunch of credit for beating Duran. I give more credit to Duran, being the smaller guy, for doing that well in the fight. Anyway if we all agreed on everything this place would be pretty boring.
How about Hearns then? Hearns had never fought at middle.

How about Hearns then? Hearns had never fought at middle.
Yeah, Hearns stopping Duran was very impressive, but he still had a size and youth advantage. How about if we imagine Duran beating one of those guys? GGG has a way to go to be in that class but Mayweather beating him would have still been a big accomplishment. Some people would have pooped on the win but for the most part he would have won fans over that complained about him fighting smaller guys.

Yeah, Hearns stopping Duran was very impressive, but he still had a size and youth advantage. How about if we imagine Duran beating one of those guys? GGG has a way to go to be in that class but Mayweather beating him would have still been a big accomplishment. Some people would have pooped on the win but for the most part he would have won fans over that complained about him fighting smaller guys.
Those were Haglers 2 biggest wins. No one holds them against him. No one questions if he's one of the greatest middleweights. Floyds fight with Marquez is viewed as a tune up.

Let just stop this stuff right now. Guys, a 5lb difference is no difference at all. Skill and power are the same for both parties. Stop making it more than what it needs to be . Floyd beating Marquez had nothing to do with the weight difference.

Those were Haglers 2 biggest wins. No one holds them against him. No one questions if he's one of the greatest middleweights. Floyds fight with Marquez is viewed as a tune up.
My bad I thought you meant Hearns vs Duran. I don't think the Duran fight was all that great for Hagler. It was a moral victory for Duran and you have to wonder how it would have played out if he had a bigger frame and was closer to his prime. Hearns was moving up but he was a huge guy that fought up to LHW and CW so I don't think he's a good example.

I want to be clear I'm not saying Floyd had meaningless wins but if you're talking ATG #1 PFP status I don't think his record gets him there.

Let just stop this stuff right now. Guys, a 5lb difference is no difference at all. Skill and power are the same for both parties. Stop making it more than what it needs to be . Floyd beating Marquez had nothing to do with the weight difference.
Well now that that's settled... :p

Trinidad was overrated, but that doesn't mean I think he was bad, or even average, or even just damn good - he was above those things. I just still think he was overrated. And I'm okay with people disagreeing with me on this.

Floyd was older than both Pac and Cotto when he fought them. I also think Marquez more than proved he was qualified to fight at 147.

Older yes but that means nothing, Cotto had suffered two pretty horrible losses and was nowhere near his prime when he fought Floyd and Pacman had been horribly knocked out as well, these two where very beatable at this point. I also believe prime cotto whoops Canelo and I love Canelo.

The biggest difference for GGG was that he fought the other two best MWs last year. It was a big step up in competition so we can better gauge him.

That is also true, he stepped up but to be honest, this applies to Jacobs because he was just so big and strong that GGG seemed a bit concerned and he just froze a bit but I don't find Canelo's defensive movement to be so incredible to the point where GGG can't land his shots, I think he let the moment get to him. Probably a combination of step up in opposition and GGG just not being that unstoppable anymore.

Older yes but that means nothing, Cotto had suffered two pretty horrible losses and was nowhere near his prime when he fought Floyd and Pacman had been horribly knocked out as well, these two where very beatable at this point. I also believe prime cotto whoops Canelo and I love Canelo.
Cotto won and defended the MW world championship after that.

That is also true, he stepped up but to be honest, this applies to Jacobs because he was just so big and strong that GGG seemed a bit concerned and he just froze a bit but I don't find Canelo's defensive movement to be so incredible to the point where GGG can't land his shots, I think he let the moment get to him. Probably a combination of step up in opposition and GGG just not being that unstoppable anymore.
I don't think we can say GGG was ever unstoppable due to his quality of opposition. He stepped up in class, and acquitted himself well, but now we can more accurately rate him as just human. :D

Cotto won and defended the MW world championship after that.
He won the MW title against a guy with no knees. Cotto was not a MW just a guy that couldn't make weight anymore.

I don't think we can say GGG was ever unstoppable due to his quality of opposition. He stepped up in class, and acquitted himself well, but now we can more accurately rate him as just human. :D

Yes I believe it to be a combination of both things, he used to be more creative but in his last two fights on top of him fighting two very hard opponents he actually looked very nervous, almost worried to lose for the first time in a while. He did look human. I do believe he would fare better in rematches against both opponents if he lets lose a bit more.

Yes I believe it to be a combination of both things, he used to be more creative but in his last two fights on top of him fighting two very hard opponents he actually looked very nervous, almost worried to lose for the first time in a while. He did look human. I do believe he would fare better in rematches against both opponents if he lets lose a bit more.
I think he can beat them both if he would just stick to boxing and not try so hard to put on a show.

Back