Feet/shin conditioning

yocan

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
So I've been asked to help out a few kids in my area that are wanting to get into the military. I've got a year to do this (they have a year of highschool left). Been doing lots of different things and the biggest hangup so far is quite frankly their feet/shins have no durability at all. If there shins start to feel it we stop whatever it is. Point me in the direction of how to think about conditioning feet/shins to be able to do what if they hadn't been playing video games the last decade wouldn't need thinking about?

So I've been asked to help out a few kids in my area that are wanting to get into the military. I've got a year to do this (they have a year of highschool left). Been doing lots of different things and the biggest hangup so far is quite frankly their feet/shins have no durability at all. If there shins start to feel it we stop whatever it is. Point me in the direction of how to think about conditioning feet/shins to be able to do what if they hadn't been playing video games the last decade wouldn't need thinking about?

Feel what? Shin splints?

Feel what? Shin splints?
Thats what causes the stops yes, but they are also impressively having their feet hurting just standing for a while too. Its ridiculous intrinsically.

Point me in the direction of how to think about conditioning feet/shins to be able to do what if they hadn't been playing video games the last decade wouldn't need thinking about?

They need to walk until they can run. Then they should run.

Feet get sore, shins get sore, but unless you're talking extreme fat kids, this is something that will sort itself out if they just keep walking.

Rolling pin + shin

Watch the Accountant for reference or read up on muay thai shin conditioning

They need to walk until they can run. Then they should run.

Feet get sore, shins get sore, but unless you're talking extreme fat kids, this is something that will sort itself out if they just keep walking.

Yeah. I find it highly unlikely that the whole group has shin splints- something tells me they're just out of shape and a bit wimpy. More mileage will likely be the best cure for them.

Here's a demo of how I would go about it.

n0PSWQc.jpg

Make sure to have plenty of 80's pop playing in the background.

Yeah. I find it highly unlikely that the whole group has shin splints- something tells me they're just out of shape and a bit wimpy. More mileage will likely be the best cure for them.
Agreed. But when i went to USMC boot camp in 2007 we lost 5/60 to stress fractures. With a year to get ready, I'd like to give these out of shape wimpy kids the best chance of success.

So just thinking what can help. Maybe swimming once a week to deload and take the stress off. Doing more walking than running at the moment. Going to go into it gradually unlike boot camp. Just seeing if any other ideas exist. Going to take them to help on some habitat houses to get them mentally to grasp a days worth of work, as most have never done it before.

More running on softer surfaces. Go trail running instead of running on asphalt. If you're by a beach or sand, go there. Run on a school's track or do sprints on a football field.

The biggest problem with guys who join the military is their running endurance. You run everywhere in the Marines. I'm sure the Army makes people run. The Navy and Air Force guys don't need shit. I guess they need to be able to stand for an hour every now and then.

I would let them know that they should be doing everything they can to get to the following standards.

3 mile run in 24 minutes
100 pushups without stopping
20 pullups from deadhang
100 crunches.

That should pretty much cover all the basic military standards.

More running on softer surfaces. Go trail running instead of running on asphalt. If you're by a beach or sand, go there. Run on a school's track or do sprints on a football field.

The biggest problem with guys who join the military is their running endurance. You run everywhere in the Marines. I'm sure the Army makes people run. The Navy and Air Force guys don't need shit. I guess they need to be able to stand for an hour every now and then.

I would let them know that they should be doing everything they can to get to the following standards.

3 mile run in 24 minutes
100 pushups without stopping
20 pullups from deadhang
100 crunches.

That should pretty much cover all the basic military standards.
Agreed, though in all honesty if they can do 12 pull ups and 70 push ups they will make it in the top half of their class, that would be ideal to do full score though.

There are a few cross country courses around here, the only places with hill within 20 miles (seriously flat as a pancake here) been encouraging to walk around there. If you are going to go practice your general orders do it walking on trails, might as well.

Not sure about pro/cons of having them walk in boots. Most of this though is just acclimation, much of that acclimation is mental, not just toughness but learning how to walk without beating up your joints.

Agreed, though in all honesty if they can do 12 pull ups and 70 push ups they will make it in the top half of their class, that would be ideal to do full score though.

There are a few cross country courses around here, the only places with hill within 20 miles (seriously flat as a pancake here) been encouraging to walk around there. If you are going to go practice your general orders do it walking on trails, might as well.

Not sure about pro/cons of having them walk in boots. Most of this though is just acclimation, much of that acclimation is mental, not just toughness but learning how to walk without beating up your joints.

Absolutely. I've always been of the opinion that people rise to the challenge. So if you really want someone to get to 12 pull ups but train them with the goal to reach 20, they'll pass by your actual goals with flying colors. Shoot for the moon and you'll land among the stars type shit.

I think they should absolutely be doing humps with backpacks and boots on. They'll do it in the military (not the Chairforce though). Why not get used to it now? It'll make everything in the future seem much easier, and they'll get a more realistic idea of what to expect.

Absolutely. I've always been of the opinion that people rise to the challenge. So if you really want someone to get to 12 pull ups but train them with the goal to reach 20, they'll pass by your actual goals with flying colors. Shoot for the moon and you'll land among the stars type shit.

I think they should absolutely be doing humps with backpacks and boots on. They'll do it in the military (not the Chairforce though). Why not get used to it now? It'll make everything in the future seem much easier, and they'll get a more realistic idea of what to expect.
Very good point, I think at 3 months the backpacks are coming out.

I used to be one of those kids. I'd jog and get shin split after 1 lap. They just need to walk more. Jump rope helps. Jump rope can give them shin splints but not as bad I think. Have them kick some bags, muay thai style. Swimming for cardio. My shin splint disappeared after joining a muay thai gym. So definitely jump rope + bag kick.

Sounds like you have the right idea. Build them up over time. Start with hiking and walking, if you're outside find some steps and work in some heel lifts with slow and controlled reps (eccentrics). Slowly build up their overall strenght with BW work, if that's what they need to be able to do as part of their tests. Add in backpacks for the hikes, walks, squats, lunges, heel lifts, pushups, pullups when you think it's time. Add running over time.

Grassy areas with no shoes can be a fun soft area to do lower body BW work on for strengthening their ankles and feet.

Everyone is right about starting slowly. Here are some points that I think would be good for your people.

Couch to 5K for running.
Grease the groove for push ups, sit ups, and pull ups.

Back