Feel ready

Bzerkfury

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
So im keen to fight now after a year and bit of training MT just amatuer though for experience. Do you go talk to your coach? What do you say i dont want to sound like a pushy scrub ahah.
Anyways what did you guys do?

Go up to the biggest guy in the place and smash that motherfucker in the face as hard as you can. No one will fuck with you after that.

Just tell your coach you want to fight.

So im keen to fight now after a year and bit of training MT just amatuer though for experience. Do you go talk to your coach? What do you say i dont want to sound like a pushy scrub ahah.
Talk to your coach to sign up for camp, he/she will sort out the match making and you should be on your way. Most coaches will have you do exhibitions before your actual real bout, so expect that. My first real sanctioned first was 4 months away at the time. In that time period, I went through 3 exibitions for exp.

Do NOT sign up for an event on your own without letting your coach know, thats just going to piss them off, as you basically sandbag them to coach you. A while back, our coach came to a grappling event for 2 of our guys, and turns out 3 others signed up without letting him know, while even skipping out on camp; He didn't coach those guys, he came with gear and equipment for 2, and they sandbagged him. That pissed him off, and he made it clear then that you need to check with him first.
Can't be going into an event with no camp, while repping the gym, the beatdown will happen with a lack of proper training, and it makes the coach and gym look bad.

Do show up and do what they say in terms of technical and sparring training. If they say they want you to do classes or train drills with more experienced members 4-5 days a week, thats what you'll have to do or they won't put you through and cut you from the camp.
Its only pushy if you keep asking every week if there's a fight, and slacking off in training. Our gym's local gym hero does that, always talking about being a kickass fighter (despite never fought before), disrespecting opponents of our fighters saying they're cans, etc. But never trains consistently. Gets in the mood for camp, and tries to kill newer guys, but after getting roughed up or beaten (some cases not actually physically beaten, but "loses" sparring) by the experienced guys, he disappears for a month, then returns. Of course all the time, pestering the coach about "Hey coach, any news on an opponent?"

So are you training with the fighters or the general class?

Just ask the trainer. He / she will prob say 'ok, well we have x amount of fighters on this event on x date. lets see how you go and maybe we can match you up.' Then you gotta start coming in every day and doing Saturday morning sparring- if you do they will match you up- if you don't they wont bother.

Some gyms do things different ways but one thing you gotta show is that you have commitment. If you've been training your ass off then im sure the trainer will happily match you up- if you are jack slack then why would they risk you pulling out at the last minute and have all the hassle and embarrassment of a fighter pulling out for being a lazy kent. If you are fit enough they might even ask if you wana take a late notice fight- my advice would be to jump on it so long as your opponent hasnt had more than 1 win.

Back