Fedor's Takedown Game Gifs!

Overhand/lead cross -> step weave -> clinch; a money move.

Literally; one of Mayweather's favorite wrinkles as well.

Last edited:
15+Fedor+Emelianenko+vs+Egidijus+Valavicius_xvid_004.gif

This double leg is BEASTLY!
I was just thinking it looks like he has a freight train double, I wonder why he didn't use it more?

He apparently trained with Volk Han on Russian Top Team who was a freestyle wrestler from daegstan . https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volk_Han
About his judo if I am not mistaken judo was his first sport and he was an olympic alternate for the Russian National team. Also check out this thread posted by a different sherdogger http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/f...ally-in-display-long-after-his-prime.3755913/
Yeah Im familiar with his time with Volk Han and I believe Fedor took bronze at Russian nationals in judo. But aside from Volk being an MMA/NHB OG I think his freestyle background has been played up a bit. Just a hunch. And even if its not, Fedor hasnt been affiliated with him in forever, there has to someone maintaining his TD game. Thanks for the info though.

Edit: Looks like I might be wrong about Volk Han. Wiki says he trained under Ali Aliyev.

Last edited:
I was just thinking it looks like he has a freight train double, I wonder why he didn't use it more?
The more I watch that gif the funnier it gets.

Fedor runs out----->kicks the shit out of his leg and says "fuck you"----> and then barrels through his foe screaming!

I was just waiting for knees to explode, with those bodylock takedowns. Yikes!

I don't think anyone has ever transitioned from striking to takedown to gnp as good as Fedor has. Guys like Khabib and GSP come close, but Fedor is still king in my opinion.

I don't think anyone has ever transitioned from striking to takedown to gnp as good as Fedor has. Guys like Khabib and GSP come close, but Fedor is still king in my opinion.
i think gsp was better tbh fedor was justa smaller hw and fought guys at a time when people wernt near as good dc does it today at the highest levels better than fedor

i think gsp was better tbh fedor was justa smaller hw and fought guys at a time when people wernt near as good dc does it today at the highest levels better than fedor

I agree the standard of technique and level of athlete has improved since Fedor's (prime)time and I'm not trying to suggest Fedor is the most skilled of those I mentioned. I just don't think DC or GSP have shown the same level of transition between all three areas like Fedor has. Look at those few second gifs, Fedor strikes, takesdown and immediately beings ground and pound like its all one action / one sequence.

GSP had great transitions from striking to takedowns / countering strikes with takedowns. But would spend more time establishing control then getting straight into gnp. DC often spends quite a while in grinding / wearing out opponents with grappling pressure both standing and on the ground, without the same volume of striking Fedor imposed. I actually think Khabib comes closest to what I'm taking about - maybe it in part the combat sambo background / approach - but Khabib, like GSP spends more time on control rather than unleashing the strikes immediately - perhaps that is symptomatic of the skill level in mma having increased.

I agree the standard of technique and level of athlete has improved since Fedor's (prime)time and I'm not trying to suggest Fedor is the most skilled of those I mentioned. I just don't think DC or GSP have shown the same level of transition between all three areas like Fedor has. Look at those few second gifs, Fedor strikes, takesdown and immediately beings ground and pound like its all one action / one sequence.

GSP had great transitions from striking to takedowns / countering strikes with takedowns. But would spend more time establishing control then getting straight into gnp. DC often spends quite a while in grinding / wearing out opponents with grappling pressure both standing and on the ground, without the same volume of striking Fedor imposed. I actually think Khabib comes closest to what I'm taking about - maybe it in part the combat sambo background / approach - but Khabib, like GSP spends more time on control rather than unleashing the strikes immediately - perhaps that is symptomatic of the skill level in mma having increased.
You were too kind in your response!

Great thread. Prime Fedor is poetry in motion, the perfection all fighters can aspire to.

ah but fedor had such sucess with it back then due to fighting guys who wernt very great strikers so he had alot more confidence going in thats why fedor doesnt wrestle near what he use to tbh he hasnt since 2007 went out and wrestled like he use to and thats around the time he came to usa and the game started to evolve more

people like to say "prime fedor" its not that it was his prime its that he was fighting weaker talent he really went down 10 years ago 2009 ect you gonna tell me 10 years ago that he was old and out of his prime?

ah but fedor had such sucess with it back then due to fighting guys who wernt very great strikers so he had alot more confidence going in thats why fedor doesnt wrestle near what he use to tbh he hasnt since 2007 went out and wrestled like he use to and thats around the time he came to usa and the game started to evolve more

people like to say "prime fedor" its not that it was his prime its that he was fighting weaker talent he really went down 10 years ago 2009 ect you gonna tell me 10 years ago that he was old and out of his prime?
yes he had already accrued a lifetimes worth of combat sports and more by then from judo and sambo along with mma. Your knees and back etc. don't always hold up forever.

It's not that it was his prime? What kind-of retarded point are you trying to make? You think 42 year old Fedor is the same Fedor from 2005? He's had tons of wars. Not to mention back and knee injuries. Which effects cardio as well. That's why he doesnt try to just take dudes down and beat on them. He tries to end the fight as fast as possible. He headhunts.

GSP was never as offensive with his TD game. Fedor used his striking to bridge the gap, and once he got a hand on you you were pretty much going for a ride. GSP, especially late career, tended to use his striking to induce his opponent to over commit forward so he could shoot a reactionary double.

Back