Fedor Fans, How Do You Explain

Gegard Mousasi, according to Wikipedia, being 32 years old, with a record of 43-6-2, and not being "out of his prime"?

Compare this to Fedor (since some of you think he is the Gold Standard), who was 29-1(NC) at the same age, and already "out of his prime" according all his fans.

Explain.
Fuck off

Gegard Mousasi, according to Wikipedia, being 32 years old, with a record of 43-6-2, and not being "out of his prime"?

Compare this to Fedor (since some of you think he is the Gold Standard), who was 29-1(NC) at the same age, and already "out of his prime" according all his fans.

Explain.
Why are we comparing a MW to a HW? both have different talent in their divisions. Fedor was fighting the best heavyweights ever, beating guys like prime Big Nog, Cro Cop, Tim Sylvia, Arlovski, etc. in their best days! staying unbeaten for 10 years, something very rare in MMA. it'll eventually take a toll on you after awhile. Fedor's losses don't determine his legacy. Fedor didn't lose until like 33 years old, some fighters are out of their peak years by then.

I just don't see the need in comparing a guy that fought at MW and LHW and only beat one HW to a guy that fought at HW fighting the best HW's in the world at the time being. it's like comparing apples to oranges. when will people stop hating on poor ol' Fedor? what did he ever do to you?

Injuries are the real game changer, some fighter lose a step when they started to add injuries, but for Fedor doesn't seem to be the case either, he never said a thing.

besides whatever usual combat sports injuries he may have sustained, one thing that did come up with fedor repeatedly was his hand. there was this thread with an amazing interview of his team reminiscing about the crocop fight: http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/fedor-vs-crocop-fedors-team-share-their-memories.3057993/

-------------------------
Zentsov: Fedor was training for the fight with a serious injury: the right hand was really busted. The fist could've come apart during fight, they were thinking whether or not to operate.

Michkov: All in all Fedor had three or four operations on that hand. At that time his hand was really injured. We tried to go easy on it. When Fedor worked the bag he couldn't hit with full force, the hand immediately started hurting. He used extra padding in his glove to make it a little softer.

Zentsov: Fedor went through the whole training with that injury, it couldn't stop hurting. I remember we drove off to x-ray his hand during mid day sleep. It was broken, there was a fragment of the bone that either couldn't regrow or kept shifting around.

Voronov: Fragments were floating around in the right thumb joint, there were a few of them. He couldn't execute a wrestling grab at full force nor strike.

Zentsov: And really they needed to operate on that hand, clean up, and give time to heal. But Fedor would've lost half a year. So he decided to endure. Some other guy would've postponed, but Fedor went on with it.

Voronov: I just want to note that with his hand injury it was tough to do takedowns.

-------------------------

that could've reoccurred and limited his grappling again, i don't know

Last edited:
on average, mma prime is 30
of course it aint exactly 30 for everyone

This could be confusing to you, but the explanation is that they in fact are two different human beings.
It is very clear to me, that one's legacy is being held up by bogus excuses.

Tyron Woodley, champion at 35. Stipe Miocic, champion at 35. Daniel Cormier, champion at 39. Michael Bisping, was a champion at 38. Anderson Silva, dominated the UFC from age 32 to 37.

LeBron James, dominating the NBA at age 33. Michael Jordan, dominated the NBA at age 33. Floyd Mayweather, dominated boxing from the time he was born until his early 40's.

Somehow, Fedor (the supposedly GOAT fighter in human history) couldn't fight anymore at age 32, after only 29 fights, with a good number of them being against Japanese WWE actors. LOL

Tyron Woodley, champion at 35. Stipe Miocic, champion at 35. Daniel Cormier, champion at 39. Michael Bisping, was a champion at 38. Anderson Silva, dominated the UFC from age 32 to 37.

LeBron James, dominating the NBA at age 33. Michael Jordan, dominated the NBA at age 33. Floyd Mayweather, dominated boxing from the time he was born until his early 40's.

Somehow, Fedor (the supposedly GOAT fighter in human history) couldn't fight anymore at age 32, after only 29 fights, with a good number of them being against Japanese WWE actors. LOL
Fighters can't be compared age for age. There are many variables at play. Good job exposing your lack of mma knowledge. I sometimes think of no longer paying attention to sherdog forums because of "fans" like you. I know no matter how many facts I bring up, it won't matter. Whatever.

"It's not something where you can post a few numbers and have anything close to a factual statement."

It, in this case, refers to the topic at hand which is the fighting prime of MMA fighters.

{<huh}

"It depends on what your definition of "it" is"
Bill Clinton

Explain.
Everyone is different. Also Fedor is significantly older.

I'm not a Fedor fan, but also not an idiot.

Fedor was in his prime for the Rogers, Wedrum, Hendo, and bigfoot fights. The decline narrative is all cope from the Fedor fanboys that need him to be the goat to not be depessed in live. He was always a beatable fighter, people just like to pretend that he didn't lose to a middleweight Arona, nearly get killed by journeyman like Randleman and Fujita, and nearly kimura subbed by BJJ ace Mark fucking Hunt in his supposed "prime"
To me, his "prime" showed him slowing against Arlovski. Again, he is a smaller guy fighting bigger guys so he relies on speed. Once that slowed, he got "exposed". He got exposed as a blown up middleweight, stuffed full of ice cream who slayed every giant they set in front of him. Nothing can take away from the fact that he did not go the way of the UFC wimps who cut weight to duck guys their size or bigger. He was a man who fought men, not "classes" or divisions. Any athlete has a beginning, a middle and an end. We've had a chance to witness greatness in all sports from basketball to MMA but nothing last forever. Ask Jordan, ask Bird, ask Manning, ask Emmit Smith, ask Gretzky and now, ask Fedor but to judge all of these athletes on their last performances and stamp their careers with those showings does a great disservice to history and to the sports that we love to watch. So be a fan or be a detractor but respect the sport.

Everyone is different. Also Fedor is significantly older.

I'm not a Fedor fan, but also not an idiot.
I have adjusted for both fighters' ages. At 32, Fedor was 30 or so fights deep, and already "out of his prime." At 32, Mousasi is 50 or so fights deep, and still able to beat the very best.

I don't believe Fedor had taken more than at 32 than Mousasi. So, it is strange that a GOAT will drop off at an age where GOATs are still dominant. Weird.

Mileage isn't a factor with Fedor, he almost won all of his fight handily, he has not taken a lot of blows to the head or damage, that's why some people call him the greatest.
Fight experience is a plus not a minus.

At 9 minute Khabib says that a fighter should go professional after 200-250 amateur matches, like he did, and that experience is absolutely vital to be successful.

Injuries are the real game changer, some fighter lose a step when they started to add injuries, but for Fedor doesn't seem to be the case either, he never said a thing.

Or the elephant in the room, some fighters decline simply because they don't train hard enough, but that has nothing to do with physiological decline.

Are you saying Fedor had no injuries?

lmao

I have adjusted for both fighters' ages. At 32, Fedor was 30 or so fights deep, and already "out of his prime." At 32, Mousasi is 50 or so fights deep, and still able to beat the very best.

I don't believe Fedor had taken more than at 32 than Mousasi. So, it is strange that a GOAT will drop off at an age where GOATs are still dominant. Weird.
Fedor didn't even lose until he was 33.

Mousasi is 32, has several losses already and looked bad in his last fight.

Fedor got Franc Mittelo all shook up.

JDS - declined by 32
Cain - declined by 32
Vovchanchyn - retired by 32
Sylvia - declined by 32
Noguiera - declined by 32
Mir- declined by 32
Aldo - declined by 32
GSP - declined by 32
Shogun - declined by 32
Bigfoot - declined by 32
Mir - declined by 32
F Shamrock - declined by 32
Ortiz - declined by 32
Wanderlei - declined by 32
Forrest - declined by 32

No drug testing in Japan.
You can speculate, but you can't say Fedor was tainted. He was always an undersized pudgy HW. He beat a lot of bigger/obviously roided fighters. What he did is impossible for most, but not unrealistic. Just look at DC (not better than Fedor btw).

Back