Fedor Fans, How Do You Explain

Discussion in 'The Wasteland' started by Franc Mittelo, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Franc Mittelo Brown Belt

Franc Mittelo
    Gegard Mousasi, according to Wikipedia, being 32 years old, with a record of 43-6-2, and not being "out of his prime"?

Compare this to Fedor (since some of you think he is the Gold Standard), who was 29-1(NC) at the same age, and already "out of his prime" according all his fans.

Explain.

2. Cherry Brigand The most average steak shop

Cherry Brigand
    Mousasi literally took naps during his fights (see King Mo), so he's better rested.

3. I Am Legion Black Belt

I Am Legion
    He wasn't out of his prime. He looked fine in speed and movement until he started to lose. He faced 2 huge guys in a row that weren't intimidated and took it to him. I cant explain the Hendo fight though. Fedor never changed his training, and never changed his gameplan. He got figured.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  4. quantiqus Brown Belt

quantiqus
    The question is: who has a better record: Gegard or Fedor?

A.S. Deep and Typrune Goatley like this.
  5. CasterMard Brown Belt

CasterMard
    Wrong forum, this is UFC bro

6. SimonNova I am sovereign

SimonNova
    Simply that not everyone grows older the same way. I met a girl I used to date when I was 15 the other day. She looked above 40 while people still think I'm like 28.

7. Dozer . Brown Belt

Dozer .
    Fedor haters are annoying af

8. Les Vejtibals Brown Belt

Les Vejtibals
    The flame that burns twice as bright burns half as long.

9. VVarhead Bullet Belt

VVarhead
    So you're assuming that every human being is exactly the same and hits his prime / decline at the exact same age?
    Lmfao, I got some news for you. There's lots of variables to this.

Also this takes literally nothing away from Fedor's legacy. And I'm not even a huge fan of his.
    He did what he did, losses don't mean shit after a career like that. Just like Aldo's losses.

10. DeathByBeer Red Belt

DeathByBeer
    Alot of Fedors success was due to his explosiveness across alot of the techniques he used in a fight.

Gegard success is almost entirely on technique.

With age, explosiveness diminishes....technique probably increases.

11. hymn Green Belt

hymn
    some athletes are done earlier due to injuries, losing the specific attributes that were required to get them over the line for their style, losing their mental edge, or whatever

12. Yodsanan K'FESTA.1

Yodsanan
    Some people age differently than others. You will experience that yourself ts, when you are older than 18.

13. fedoriswar37 Purple Belt

fedoriswar37
    Yup your right everybody ages the same. Thread/ over . And fedor didn't have a slow decline it was apparently a 1 year thing not the 4-5 years 2006 on that people who watched him saw it happen. Carry on.

FedorGOAT and Typrune Goatley like this.
  14. Franc Mittelo Brown Belt

Franc Mittelo
    Gegard has 51 total fights with a 84% win rate. Fedor has 41 total fights with a 87% win rate. However, Gegard has 10 more fights and fought for the UFC (the premier organization in MMA).

So, I would say they have very comparable records.

15. tenniswhiz Steel Belt

tenniswhiz
    You could read past discussions from the hundreds of people on here who are far more intelligent than you.

People age at different rates, people carry over injuries with different long term effects, some people lose motivation, some don’t train as hard after reaching the top, et all.

16. FrodoFraggins Black Belt

FrodoFraggins
    Well he did seem to decline after finding god. He also never cared about legacy and so I think he may have gotten complacent.

FedorGOAT and Typrune Goatley like this.
  17. Typrune Goatley Black Belt

Typrune Goatley
    GSP retired at 32 and only came back for 1 fight with 38 year old Bisping.

Fedor didn't lose until he was 33. Moose is not even 33. Fedor was fighting some elite fighters in his first few fights. Fedor fought for the World Heavyweight Title in his 14th fight and had to defend his #1 world ranking for 7 years.

Moose was getting armbarred by Gono in his 15th pro fight.

Mousasi actually trained with Fedor a long time ago and wasn't thrown to the wolves right away. Look at all those early fights in the Netherlands. Look how many fights it took Moose to fight Cyborg, Lombard and Kang who were all good but not super elite.

Basically Mousasi started in 2003 while Fedor started in 2000. Fedor was fighting elite competition like Babalu and Arona in his first few fights and was already fighting top 10 Heavyweights his first fights in PRIDE. Moose slowly worked his way up to PRIDE Bushido.

Also, Moose cuts weight to fight at LHW and MW while Fedor fought dangerous heavyweights.

Fedor also was on the Russian National Judo team before MMA and competed in World Sambo championships concurrent with his MMA career. Fedor had a lot of mileage and he also declined when injuries robbed him of his speed and explosiveness. A tall lanky and patient fighter like Moose is usually going to age better than a short explosive fighter but he still didn't accomplish anything close to what Fedor did.

Fedor's prime may have been shorter but it was much more condensed and much more successful. Moose was never the #1 fighter in the world for 7 years.

I am a big Mousasi fan but there is a good chance he will decline in the next couple years with all that mileage. He may possibly already be declining as we saw in the Schlemenko fight.

Travis Fulton has 300 fights and has been fighting since the 90's but he obviously did not achieve the same success as Fedor.

18. Franc Mittelo Brown Belt

Franc Mittelo
    I was told Fedor is allowed in this forum. LOL

19. hymn Green Belt

hymn
    he did change his gameplan, it used to be about transitions and moving from punches to takedowns to gnp and at some point he turned into this windmilling headhunter
    also his coach had said before he began losing that he was losing a step in speed, and people speculated about it on the forums too

even as a fedor fan however, part of it however is also that his matchups changed. i always thought werdum would give him problems, or big wrestlers who also have sub grappling which the hammerhouse guys lacked (god bless them)

Sano, Teh Clint and ThEiCeMaN6791 like this.
  20. true_fan Brown Belt

true_fan
    Because Fedor's nut hugging is on a different level

markg171, Erocthadon and Bubblun like this.