Fedor Emelianenko preparing for Matt Mitrione [+ New Interview]

Andrey Kamensky

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
So as most of you know, Fedor is in training camp at the moment, in his home town - Stariy Oskol.
Fedor is very camera shy these days when it comes to his training camps. But there's one journalist from Stariy Oskol who's friends with Fedor, so thanks to him we get a little taste of what's going on there.

I apologize - It's all in Russian. But I still recommend you watch the videos:

For those who don't speak Russian:
  • The whole training process will be in Stariy Oskol, with only a week or so, of final training in San Jose.
  • His trainers are most concerned about Matt's Speed, Power and reach advantage. And Michkov even says that Fedor will have problems with Matt in that department.
  • Besides Voronov and Michkov, Peter Teijsse is also there, Helping Fedor with his striking and technique.
  • Viktor Nemkov (One of Fedor's training partners) says Fedor is training the same as always. And that he has good speed,power and good shape overall. (Fedor is not done yet basically...)
  • Fedor is not going on his own to Bellator. Anatoly Tokov already signed a contract and will be on the undercard of the same event - Bellator 172. (Non-exclusive) Bellator already offered contracts to the rest of Fedor team. And they are negotiating at the moment. (This could very well be the reason why Fedor chose Bellator after all)
  • Fedor is happy to work with Coker again.
  • Fedor says that it's up to how he will feel, but at the moment he has a contract for several fights in Bellator with an option to fight for the belt.
  • Fedor is happy that Matt is a nice and respectful guy and that there's no trash talk etc.
  • Fedor says he's not wasting time browsing the internet.
  • Fedor says that these days he mostly declines to take a photo with fans. Prefers to have a little chat/Shake hand...
  • Fedor on what motivates him to fight again - To win in the name of (Mother!!!) Russia.

So there you have it. Kinda puts things into perspective. If I was Fedor I'd probably take that Bellator offer as well.
But as always...
ruz0xv.gif

It's out!
@Mixfight

Thats cool about his team imo.Kinda surprised Tokov is on the undercard tbh.

I have a bad feeling about the fight though. Matt is stronger, bigger, and isn't worn down from years of fighting. I think if fedor comes in reckless he'll get ko'd which would suck.

It is my biggest concern: Fedor stays in Russia and makes his usual training with friends instead of training somewhere in US in cage with professional MMA fighters.

Hope he focuses on grappling, I think Meathead buts him to sleep if they stay standing, big powerful and quick on the feet.

So Bellator offered contracts to the rest of Fedor's team. It'd be different if he was still an undefeated monster, but I don't think he is in any position to be asking a company for things like this. I'm sure this was probably a hang up point with the UFC, and I can't blame the UFC for not giving in, especially not now.

It is my biggest concern: Fedor stays in Russia and makes his usual training with friends instead of training somewhere in US in cage with professional MMA fighters.

I hope he's training in a cage. That's his biggest weakness.

Glad he is lifting weights again, hopefully he will have some power in his punches that he seemed to be missing last time. If they are concerned about Matt's power, speed and reach, I wonder if Fedor will get inside with punches and take him down? Seems like the obvious gameplan against Mitrione since his ground game isn't great.

idk I think this is a rather favorable matchup for Fedor. i think his ground skills have probably eroded the most or even clinch to ground moreso than the gound skills. This would be a great fight for him to get it to the ground where Matt will get subbed in a second. Does Matt have pop yeah sure he is 250lbs and moves pretty well but he doiesnt hit as hard as JDS or CArwin. This isnt some ko machine. Fedor isnt getting one shotted here. There isnt a legend or older guy thats winning ANY fights anywhere right now so that doesnt bode well for Fedor but remember Mitrione is close to 40 himself. He has less wear on his body but this isnt Yair vs Bj either.

So Bellator offered contracts to the rest of Fedor's team. It'd be different if he was still an undefeated monster, but I don't think he is in any position to be asking a company for things like this. I'm sure this was probably a hang up point with the UFC, and I can't blame the UFC for not giving in, especially not now.

Well obviously you're wrong about Fedor's worth, because he managed to get jobs for his team. Who the fuck are you to say what he can and cannot do? Oh yeah: NOBODY.

For someone who has a 2007 sign up date and number of posts you have, you're really out of the loop with Fedor's career and why he didn't want to fight for the UFC.

Your post also smacks of some form of retardation. You'll find a support group for your condition on Sherdog. It's called: The Heaviies.

Well obviously you're wrong about Fedor's worth, because he managed to get jobs for his team. Who the fuck are you to say what he can and cannot do? Oh yeah: NOBODY.

For someone who has a 2007 sign up date and number of posts you have, you're really out of the loop with Fedor's career and why he didn't want to fight for the UFC.

Your post also smacks of some form of retardation. You'll find a support group for your condition on Sherdog. It's called: The Heaviies.

What is your problem? I find it odd that you'd get that triggered by my opinion and when I joined and how many posts I have. Grow up.

Awesome, that looks like a cage to me. Hope they're getting some real sparring done in that gym and not just going through the motions. Anyone know if there are any good heavyweights in that camp? Would be awesome to see the return of wrestling and grappling Fedor, not just his usual fast and inaccurate brawling.

I have very good feeling about FE and this fight.He will be great again.Old Fedor is coming back,no one can't stop him this time.PRIDE for life

Man I just fucking hope Fedor uses his grappling this time..it's clearly obvious he has the advantage there, trading with Mitrione is always dangerous..he gives most heavyweights problems there with his speed, unorthodox movements and durability. Fedor use to have such amazing fight IQ but ever since Pride folded he just wants to throw wild hooks at people.

idk I think this is a rather favorable matchup for Fedor. i think his ground skills have probably eroded the most or even clinch to ground moreso than the gound skills. This would be a great fight for him to get it to the ground where Matt will get subbed in a second. Does Matt have pop yeah sure he is 250lbs and moves pretty well but he doiesnt hit as hard as JDS or CArwin. This isnt some ko machine. Fedor isnt getting one shotted here. There isnt a legend or older guy thats winning ANY fights anywhere right now so that doesnt bode well for Fedor but remember Mitrione is close to 40 himself. He has less wear on his body but this isnt Yair vs Bj either.

How isn't he a ko machine ? Out of 11 wins, 10 are ko's.

Man I just fucking hope Fedor uses his grappling this time..it's clearly obvious he has the advantage there, trading with Mitrione is always dangerous..he gives most heavyweights problems there with his speed, unorthodox movements and durability. Fedor use to have such amazing fight IQ but ever since Pride folded he just wants to throw wild hooks at people.

I dont think Fedor has a major advantage in the grappling considering the size and strength disparity. Mitrione is a big dude who has been rolling for a few years now and I dont think it will be easy for Fedor to handle him on the ground.

What is that atrocious shirt he's wearing? Did his relic lose its powers?

I dont think Fedor has a major advantage in the grappling considering the size and strength disparity. Mitrione is a big dude who has been rolling for a few years now and I dont think it will be easy for Fedor to handle him on the ground.

Yes, hard to keep Mitrione on ground. He is agile and big enough.

Back