Fedor Emelianenko Clinch Throws Breakdown Video

Sonny Brown

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I just finished editing a breakdown and analysis video of the clinch work and takedowns of Fedor Emelianenko.

I cover his most common clinch entries and all his most common throws and touch on the principle of off-balancing (Kuzushi).

Hope this is something you would enjoy!

Fantastic video. I never realized how much he used that right hand entry into the clinch. I think part of what made Fedor so friggin good at executing his preferred TD game was explosiveness. He possessed a very high level of power upon clinching, as soon as he was clinched with his foe he was executing one of his throws or trips. You can tell totally see the connection between the way Fedor trained and his TD game. All that resistance band and explosive work he did paid off. You can see this in the Arona fight where despite being taken down repeatedly and thoroughly outwrestled by Arona, Fedor was able to explode into a reversal from a dead stop while on his back. There was no pause or jockeying to improve position, he just went for it. That's another thing he had going for him, he was very good at executing his TDs sloppily or with less than ideal positioning.

I often wonder how much freestyle or Greco Fedor trained over the course of his combat sports career. Mostly bc I remember an old interview from around the time he started the retirement talk (2010 or so) where he mentioned that he'd like to0 coach up and coming fighters in "judo, sambo, freestyle, and Greco roman wrestling.....". He mustve had a lot of experience if he wanted to coach it. The other reason I wonder about his wrestling training is he did so well against so many high level TD artists in his career and many of them where wrestlers. Fedor did get taken down a good bit by guys like Arona, Randleman, Coleman, etc but I also think he had so much confidence in his armbars from bottom that he didn't really care.

Great stuff. Fedor was excellent at using hand traps and flurris or wide shots to enter the clinch. From there it was his world. He still does wide shots, but sadly he doesn't have the grappling ability anymore. His judo was so high level and he was so good at chaining together his attacks.

Really good video highlighting some of the things that people don't appreciate or understand about Fedors game in his prime.

I like the video. But what I liked more was the elevator lounge jazz background music. Honestly it had me cracking up.

Anyway thanks for all those details.

Sometimes it's easy to forget what a badass Fedor was.

I never realized how much of that was in my own MMA game.

Important to note that those entries mostly worked because everyone was so goddamn (rightfully so) terrified of his power. You can't really throw wide shots like that against guys who are comfortable trying to wait and counter you, but if you're so terrified of someone's power that when you see him loading up you cover up and start retreating it becomes much easier to get into a good clinch off the punch. Prime Fedor hit like a freight train, it's hard to overstate how tentative you can get fighting a guy like that. Generally you'd want to take someone like that down by shooting under his punches, but that wasn't really that realistic because Fedor had such great hips. And if you did take him down, which guys like Coleman and Randleman did, he was so dangerous off his back that it wasn't much better for you.

Back