Fedor, Conor McGregor.... and the most overrated fighters in MMA history

Not really a fan of either man but I would separate Fedor from Conor just on the fact that Fedor actually defended something, but lost any sort of real legitimacy with me by avoiding to fight in the UFC even briefly and choosing fringe fight orgs to keep up the fading Fedor mystique.

Conor was a poser from go who was character & talk than true mma talent, his utter fear of defending belts only confirms what a poser fighter he is/was.

<puh-lease75>

well no that's pretty much hype by definition
no.
Seems you fail at definition (or maybe I do). here's what I understand by hype:

when you have someone who has not even started climbing a mountain but you hear he should be at the top before he proves he can climb at all, that's hype.
For instance, Hype is when Conor arrived claiming he would take over before he even fought for the belt.

But when a fighter fights, climbs to the top, wins the belt and beat all top contenders, he stops being hype and he becomes the real deal.
If he stays at the top for a full decade unbeaten, then he is the GOAT.

Oh geez, here come the JMMA bailout/excuse crew....how predictable..

Alleged greatest HW on earth chose to fight a washed out UFC MW as his first fight fresh out of Pride. Whatever lead to it happening is meaningless. The fact is that it happened & is a complete shit stain on the guy's career.

Actually you just sound retarded.

Fedor should turn down a million bucks cause some 12 year old on Sherdog thinks it hurts his legacy.

<DirkMavs>

He wasnt extremely well rounded. He had terribly telegraphed takedowns & very primitive boxing. What made him special was that he had a unique skillset that most of his opponents were unprepared for.

The notion that he "beat his opponents at their own game" is also cringe worthy. He lay & prayed Schilt & grappled quite a bit in the CroCop fight. He also chose to wrestle big nog who had very shoddy wrestling & preferred to box in most of his MMA matches.
I dunno, there's a lot of things he did very well In a boxing sense. His straight right hand was a thing of beauty, some of his hooks were very nice.

boxing isn't just about perfect technique either or looking pretty. It's about being effective. I've boxed for a long time. If were to judge Fedor exclusively on a set mold, then maybe he doesn't look all that Impressive. Many things / styles work In boxing though. Fedor had a smothering style and he was dangerous as fuck. His straight right was very nice, his left hook was decent. He was very wild but that sort of thing works against even technical fighters. In fact, often times technical fighters are the ones who get beaten by a style like that.

Check out his videos sparring against dennis lebedov, former world champion. Fedor can definitely hang and he does a lot of things very well. Albeit mixed with his own aggressiveness / style. At his peak when he was training with ernesto hoost as well, his kicking game was decent.

To say he had primitive boxing Isn't accurate. He could box.

His takedowns were judo / sambo based..not the traditional wrestling style takedowns. He stopped using them after a certain point In his career when he switched camps It seems. Generally those will be more effective In a ring environment.

Obviously his grappling at his peak was very solid as well, although again It seemed he just stopped using It entirely and reverted to a striking mentality at some point of his career. At which point, the best of Fedor had long past.

you forgot this guy:

jlj.0.gif
My ass.... he was just a idiot.

He wasnt extremely well rounded. He had terribly telegraphed takedowns & very primitive boxing. What made him special was that he had a unique skillset that most of his opponents were unprepared for.

The notion that he "beat his opponents at their own game" is also cringe worthy. He lay & prayed Schilt & grappled quite a bit in the CroCop fight. He also chose to wrestle big nog who had very shoddy wrestling & preferred to box in most of his MMA matches.
what made him special was the way he seamlessly transitioned between arts, he was very good everywhere. At his very best at least. Also a lot of subtle things like his mentality, dude was cold as ice. Wasn't phased by anything, had some russian warrior shit In him.

Along with BJ Penn, Fedor was one of the first of his kind and paved the way for many modern fighters we see today. Guys grew up watching Fedor or BJ Instead of Royce gracie, that sort of shit Is what sparked a quantum leap in terms of MMA evolution.

Fedor only had 3 title defenses in all those years, it looks like Conor is trying to do the same.

He an overrated fighter who is great

But not top 5 all time

There is not 5 fighters in their prime that are better then Fedor. Jones is not the GOAT because he can't even pass a drug test and thats part of the sport, passing the test.

Anderson
DJ
GSP
Fedor
Huges?

All GOATs

There is not 5 fighters in their prime that are better then Fedor. Jones is not the GOAT because he can't even pass a drug test and thats part of the sport, passing the test.

Anderson
DJ
GSP
Fedor
Huges?

All GOATs
You just mentioned Anderson, who has had similar drop testing problems
but that's not really relevant to me
Jones, Anderson, GSP, DJ, Cruz, Hendo are all better at MMA than Fedor ever was

You just mentioned Anderson, who has had similar drop testing problems
but that's not really relevant to me
Jones, Anderson, GSP, DJ, Cruz, Hendo are all better at MMA than Fedor ever was

I know this sounds like a cop out but Anderson didnt lose the belt due to drug test loses, but you are right it is semi biased of me to keep him on the list. I should remove him.

Hendo is not a better MMA fighter despite beating Fedor (just like I dont think Holloway is a better fighter then Aldo, or Overeem better then Werdum), Hendo is certainly a top 15 for his crazy career however and mad respect for the man.

To address your topic Fedor at least fought consistently during his 10 year run, Conor is dong the opposite. Fedor is one of the first great fighters so even if there is some mystique with it, he fought in the best org in the world for a long period and was undefeated while doing so. For the era he existed in his dominance is unquestionable, Conor lost to Diaz during his run.

I really wish Jones wasn't such a POS because I think he has the potential to be one of the best fighters ever, but he can't even be mentioned due to his blatant cheating while holding the belt.

Nick Diaz is the most overrated fighter of all time

People might ask what Fedor and Conor have in common

The answer is they are the two most overrated athletes in our sport
Both guys are defined more by narrative than results, myth rather than facts

Who are some other overrated MMA fighters?

Let me ask you thing. Name one fighter that in a period of 10 years fought over 30 times at the top level and never legitimately lost once. And I'm talking in the history of mma, any fighter. Even say 20-25 times.

Go ahead ....

Let me ask you thing. Name one fighter that in a period of 10 years fought over 30 times at the top level and never legitimately lost once. And I'm talking in the history of mma, any fighter. Even say 20-25 times.

Go ahead ....
Hespect to Fedor... Igor was boombastik too...

Go ahead ....

Absolutely laughing hysterically at 30 times at the top level

Another Fedor bashing thread from the same TS. Surprise surprise.

Nick Diaz and BJ Penn are easily the two most overrated fighters to date.
Hmm. I agree on Diaz....

Penn was crazy good back in the day, he's more of the biggest wasted talent in mma for me.

Connor and fedro actually likely have the same number of top 10 wins …

Back