Favourite period of history to learn about?

When our Alien forefathers came down and boned a bunch of primates.

Sherdog pre-Zer
I barely survived those times. . . If only today's members knew how good they have it.

As for history. . . I prefer the ancient alien variety.

Ancient Rome, Civil war, Revolutionary War, War of 1820, old west, king henry the 8th..Also like reading about old boxing prize fights in the 1800's

I'm partial to Jesus and the dinosaurs. Wonder what it must have been like..

jesus_on_dinosaur.png

80df3b347392b48d902074f94bdbb66b.png

v_8_ill_1101007_jesus_dinosaur.jpg

Middle-age and especially norman era 900-1200. (Norman conquest of sicily is the most fascinating thing ive ever heard of... the fact thath these adventurers, mercenaries who had norse heritage managed to rule 2 kingdoms in diffrent sides of europe is insane). Also interested in dynastical history in the era. Funny fact De Hautevilles and De Normandies were intermarried.

19th Century is very underrated, imo.

Most of it tbh. But the period around the 3rd punic war and the death of the Roman republic is probably the most interesting imo.

20th century. The world wars in particular.

Rome, medieval Europe and the Mongols are interesting to me as well.

Middle-age and especially norman era 900-1200. (Norman conquest of sicily is the most fascinating thing ive ever heard of... the fact thath these adventurers, mercenaries who had norse heritage managed to rule 2 kingdoms in diffrent sides of europe is insane). Also interested in dynastical history in the era. Funny fact De Hautevilles and De Normandies were intermarried.

Yes the Normans are very interesting, particularly in Sicily and their relations with the Byzantine Empire. There is an Anglo-Norman castle very near where I live, built by John De Courcy in the 12th century. I believe it's one of the best preserved in Ireland and Britain:

2906416683_226ab1c098_b.jpg

Nazis

Rome- the perverted debauchery one

Zombie Apocalypse

I may be one of the few but i really dont care for history past colonial America.

History into the 1800s-2000s doesn't interest me that much at all and that includes Civil War, WWI, WWI, Vietnam, Cold War, etc, Industrial Rev, etc.

I'm far more fascinated by the renaissance (i like art history), ancient Greece, the rise and fall of the roman empire, dark/medieval ages, etc.

European history is amazing to me and I'd like to know more (especially about the nordic history)

Second world war by far, particularly Battle of Britain, North African Campaign, Battle of the Atlantic, Eastern Front and Nazi Germany. Anything predominantly involving the Japanese or Americans is less interesting.

All history is amazing, but I particularly enjoy American history, and more specifically, an interest in its slow but steady spiral away from its great promise.

In my estimation they started the downward spiral in 1900 and it really fell to shit after WW2, regardless of appearances.

Yeah I guess once they got rid of slavery it was all downhill
wtf.gif

1900 - 1969, globally

Ancient Rome, Punic Wars, Greco-Roman wars, Julius Caesar and fallout, Marcus Aurelius

French Revolutionary era

I've been reading a lot about the second punic war.

Hannibal was such a genius.

Very interesting time period.

I've been reading a lot about the second punic war.

Hannibal was such a genius.

Very interesting time period.

Fabian was smarter than Hannibal imo but all three punic wars are awesome

Yeah especially since WWI was supposed to be the War to End All Wars, and yet the results lead directly to the next one.

Because a failed soldier with delusions of grandeur was able to take power by promising to "Make Germany Great Again".

Ancient Egypt, Sumer, Teotihuacan, Gobekli Tepe, that kind of shit fascinates me. No time frame in particular, just any and all ancient megalithic sites.

For example, things like The Great Ziggurat of Ur are just incredible.

Ziggurat-of-Ur-remains.jpg

The city of Ur was one of the most important Sumerian city states in ancient Mesopotamia during the 3 rd millennium BC. One of best preserved and most spectacular remains of this ancient city is the Great Ziggurat of Ur.

The Great Ziggurat, which is today located in the Dhi Qar Province, in the south of Iraq, is a massive step pyramid measuring 64 m in length, 46 m in width, and 30 m in height. This height, however, is just speculation, as only the foundations of this ancient monument survive today.

http://www.ancient-origins.net/ancient-places-asia/great-ziggurat-ur-001767

And here's some awesome drone video of some sites in Peru and Bolivia.

the age of enlightenment up to the napoleonic wars.

Second world war by far, particularly Battle of Britain, North African Campaign, Battle of the Atlantic, Eastern Front and Nazi Germany. Anything predominantly involving the Japanese or Americans is less interesting.

Yeah I guess once they got rid of slavery it was all downhill
wtf.gif

Wow, that one single comment of yours just unraveled the history of the USA, as understood by me and so many others. And here I thought Will Durant and Edward Gibbon were solid historians. You made those guys look like cans bro.

Fabian was smarter than Hannibal imo but all three punic wars are awesome

Perhaps.

If the rulers in Carthage weren't corrupt and sell-outs, had provided Hannibal with more support, he may have taken Rome. Who knows? Rome's determination was unmatchable.

Hannibal - to stay alive in hostile territory for 13 years with only around 30k soldiers, depleting supplies and surrounded by Roman legions was impressive and pays homage to his tactical skills that despite large numbers, the Romans daren't engage him in open battle again, instead relying on the tactics by Fabian to basically starve them and chip away at them.

Very interesting and brutal time period like you said.

Back