Favourite period of history to learn about?

Civil War. @j123 @shadow_priest_x

was-the-civil-war-inevitable.jpg

World War II era, and the surge in American pride right after.

I love English history, particularly the Elizabethan era. I'd like to learn more about the time between when the Romans left and when the Normans invaded, as well as Pre-Roman times.

The scramble for Africa is also a really interesting topic that I know little about. I was reading about the Congo Free State earlier, crazy stuff.

I like the civil war myself. Im amazed by how well people kept track of it how a lot of the words we use today come from it ( hookers side burns for example) and just how everyone seemed to know how big of a deal what was going on was. I cant even imagine what it felt like and the mood from state to state and person to person.

Definitely a pretty crazy thing to try and imagine , literally slaughtering your relative neighbors by the 10's of thousands , and the uncertainty of how its gonna play out.....which side is gonna break first. Must have been nuts.

The Third Age of Middle Earth is probably my favorite to read about. I'm listening to an audio book about the period currently.

I also like to read about Europe prior to recorded history in the area. I think the pre-Christian cultures of Europe are very interesting.

1900 - 1969, globally

Ancient Rome, Punic Wars, Greco-Roman wars, Julius Caesar and fallout, Marcus Aurelius

French Revolutionary era

I'm most interested in unknown prehistory. Gobekli Tepe and such. But in the mainstream, Egypt, Rome, WW2.

If I could go back and do anything, I'd be the most debauched Roman emperor in history and be assassinated by the Pretorian Guard at 25.

Iron Age 1050 BC – to around 500 AD .. I did a entire project on it in my past that lasted nearly 2 years. Fascinating stuff, I still have all the papers/documents from it. Would have loved to go on a real archaeological dig, always something I have wanted to do. Very fascinating period.

Any period not Murican. I just cannot stand Murican history. It is really boring compared to everyone elses besides Canada.

Post-Ancient Alien to Phoenix Lights era.

But also, post Civil War up to, but not including WWII.

I'm interested in any time in history. I'm also old enough to have lived some. It's interesting how quickly and easily history is lost. In as little as 50 years so many things change.

The ones covered by Ancient Aliens and those ancient Roman dramas where hot actresses are fully nude for extended scenes no problem.

Also Ancient Rome during the transition from Republic to Empire.

I'm interested in any time in history. I'm also old enough to have lived some. It's interesting how quickly and easily history is lost. In as little as 50 years so many things change.

Ive always found it amazing how ww1 and ww2 were fought within 21 years of one another. That would be like ww3 ending in 1996 and ww4 just beggining to kick off. Your dads generation died in france whilst yours perishes in russia.

Seventeen years seperates the 2 bloodiest and largest wars fought in history.

Last edited:
Ive always found it amazing how ww1 and ww2 were fought within 21 years of one another. That would be like ww3 ending in 1996 and ww4 just beggining to kick off. Your dads generation died in france whilst yours perishes in russia.

Seventeen years seperates the 2 bloodiest and largest wars fought in history.
Yeah especially since WWI was supposed to be the War to End All Wars, and yet the results lead directly to the next one.

Back