Favorite Weapon & Caliber

Am I a prude for feeling that a .223/5.56 bolt gun is... well kinda weird?

For some reason my brain always tells me bolt guns unless they are little .22 plinker rifles should start at like .243 or .270 and then move on up.

I don't count the crazy .17 HMR and WSM type rounds as I personally view those as like boutique rounds the way people would view something like 22 Nosler, .300 AAC Blackout, and others like that.

I personally don't find a point in them, but I don't varmint hunt. If I want to shoot some 5.56 I grab the semi-auto. I think 5.56 is legal for hunting in my state, but it wouldn't be a caliber that I would choose. They could make for some good guns for young kids to practice on before they are ready for the bigger calibers.

They (5.56) could make for some good guns for young kids to practice on before they are ready for the bigger calibers.

Well, the 5.56 is what the U.S. military uses. A big part of the reason is because it is ‘small’ and a soldier can carry more ammunition.

Criticism of the 5.56 bullet (Gulf War, Somalia, Iraq and Afghanistan) can be attributed to the change in barrel length, as this cartridge was designed to achieve maximum performance in a 20-inch barrel. The 14.5-inch barrel of the U.S. military's M4 carbine generates considerably less muzzle velocity than the longer 20-inch barrel found on the M16 rifle, and terminal performance can be a particular problem with the M4.

Despite complaints that the 5.56 lacks stopping power, others contend that studies of the wounding effects of the 5.56 vs the 7.62 have found that the 5.56 is more damaging, due to the post-impact behavior of the projectile resulting in greater cavitation of soft tissues. A tumbling bullet.

Well, the 5.56 is what the U.S. military uses. A big part of the reason is because it is ‘small’ and a soldier can carry more ammunition.

Criticism of the 5.56 bullet (Gulf War, Somalia, Iraq and Afghanistan) can be attributed to the change in barrel length, as this cartridge was designed to achieve maximum performance in a 20-inch barrel. The 14.5-inch barrel of the U.S. military's M4 carbine generates considerably less muzzle velocity than the longer 20-inch barrel found on the M16 rifle, and terminal performance can be a particular problem with the M4.

Despite complaints that the 5.56 lacks stopping power, others contend that studies of the wounding effects of the 5.56 vs the 7.62 have found that the 5.56 is more damaging, due to the post-impact behavior of the projectile resulting in greater cavitation of soft tissues. A tumbling bullet.

The reason you got called out by that other guy is because of posts like this.

Copy paste from Wikipedia with slight modifications.

The problem with 5.56 is bullet design.

If it has a high fps minimum expansion/fragmentation threshold you severely reduce effective range. If a round expands or fragments late (6"+) after hitting a target it will be like a fmj through vitals.

You want a low threshold with very quick(.5-1.5") expansion/fragmentation. Generally 1600-1900 fps is considered a great-good threshold but depending on your purpose you can get great rounds with higher thresholds(example would be 50gr optimized TSX at 2300 fps or Hornady Tap 75gr T2 at 2250 fps).

So m855 and xm193 have those issues of high threshold late fragmentation. They need 2500-2700+ for reliable expansion. They also both may take up to 6-8" before yaw and/or fragmentation.

The reason you got called out by that other guy is because of posts like this.

Copy paste from Wikipedia with slight modifications.

The problem with 5.56 is bullet design.

If it has a high fps minimum expansion/fragmentation threshold you severely reduce effective range. If a round expands or fragments late (6"+) after hitting a target it will be like a fmj through vitals.

You want a low threshold with very quick(.5-1.5") expansion/fragmentation. Generally 1600-1900 fps is considered a great-good threshold but depending on your purpose you can get great rounds with higher thresholds(example would be 50gr optimized TSX at 2300 fps or Hornady Tap 75gr T2 at 2250 fps).

So m855 and xm193 have those issues of high threshold late fragmentation. They need 2500-2700+ for reliable expansion. They also both may take up to 6-8" before yaw and/or fragmentation.
My buddy in the 82nd that got stuck carrying the M240 said he loved 5.56 because he can sling what feels like an infinite amounts of rounds down range and feel like he hasn't barely used any because of the amount of ammo he could carry.

THAT said, he said he hated how it felt like he could hit a guy everywhere (other than head or heart) and that people wouldn't go down right away compared to the dudes that had a .30 based round that could drop people with even hits to dude's legs with it because it'd just destroy everything.

My buddy in the 82nd that got stuck carrying the M240 said he loved 5.56 because he can sling what feels like an infinite amounts of rounds down range and feel like he hasn't barely used any because of the amount of ammo he could carry.

THAT said, he said he hated how it felt like he could hit a guy everywhere (other than head or heart) and that people wouldn't go down right away compared to the dudes that had a .30 based round that could drop people with even hits to dude's legs with it because it'd just destroy everything.

Yeah energy wise it's not even close. .308 has basically the same fpe at 400-500 yards as a .223 has muzzle. .223 needs that fragmentation/expansion.

The reason you got called out by that other guy is because of posts like this. Copy paste from Wikipedia with slight modifications.

What is wrong with a 'copy-and-paste' from Wikipedia or any other source? Everyone in this forum does it. Why retype what was has already been written by someone else? Is there a plagiarism rule written somewhere? Are we to start listing sources from now on? Not just in written material but photos also.

The issue I was having with ‘Rob Mafia’ was not over this. It had to do with the chambering of a .223 and a 5.56. Also, the discussion on bullet diameter between the .22LR and the 5.56.

Here is my issue with some folks on Sherdod, why do you have to be an asshole to make a point? He could have posted the same information without being insulting, but no, he had to cross that line into insult. What do you gain from insulting someone else even when you are right? It gets even worst in the MMA discussions, that’s why I don’t waste time there anymore.

You wrote a great post without insulting anyone, and you know a lot about ballistics.

Here is the full article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5.56×45mm_NATO

Under ‘Performance: Criticism and Improvements’ it covers what you and ‘Gregolian’ are talking about regarding the 5.56 cartridge.

More complaints have come from the Beretta M9 pistol and 9mm cartridge than the M16 and the 5.56 cartridge. In my opinion, the M1911 pistol and .45 caliber was much better. More stopping power. With the M9 it is usually one round to the head and two to the chest.

What is wrong with a 'copy-and-paste' from Wikipedia or any other source? Everyone in this forum does it. Why retype what was has already been written by someone else? Is there a plagiarism rule written somewhere? Are we to start listing sources from now on? Not just in written material but photos also.

The issue I was having with ‘Rob Mafia’ was not over this. It had to do with the chambering of a .223 and a 5.56. Also, the discussion on bullet diameter between the .22LR and the 5.56.

Here is my issue with some folks on Sherdod, why do you have to be an asshole to make a point? He could have posted the same information without being insulting, but no, he had to cross that line into insult. What do you gain from insulting someone else even when you are right? It gets even worst in the MMA discussions, that’s why I don’t waste time there anymore.

You wrote a great post without insulting anyone, and you know a lot about ballistics.

Here is the full article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5.56×45mm_NATO

Under ‘Performance: Criticism and Improvements’ it covers what you and ‘Gregolian’ are talking about regarding the 5.56 cartridge.

More complaints have come from the Beretta M9 pistol and 9mm cartridge than the M16 and the 5.56 cartridge. In my opinion, the M1911 pistol and .45 caliber was much better. More stopping power. With the M9 it is usually one round to the head and two to the chest.

The mafia guy was being a dick and just like Cubo it made my eyes roll to escalate something over .001.

I guess there is nothing wrong with copy and paste but it just looks weird to address someone else's post with imo a generic repost from Wikipedia without really breaking down into the actual reason behind the complaint of poor performance(shit ammo).

As far as hunting(something he was talking about), it's particularly good for 0-250 yards with good ammo on deer size game or smaller. So some rounds will have reliable expansion well past 250 but .223 with a 200 yard zero depending on load/barrel length you'll roughly be 2" high at 100 and 3" low at 250.

Makes holds and guesswork easy and even with error 1-3" is still a good heart lung hit.

tdot8-574x459.jpg

Here is my issue with some folks on Sherdod, why do you have to be an asshole to make a point? He could have posted the same information without being insulting, but no, he had to cross that line into insult. What do you gain from insulting someone else even when you are right? It gets even worst in the MMA discussions, that’s why I don’t waste time there anymore..

such whining.

no. the issue that you had with me was that you were full of shit. you weren't wrong about one thing - you were wrong about literally every point you made in that entire paragraph. and then you doubled-down on it, after being called out. additionally, you're the one lying about being in the army on the internet.

like with the above bullshit, that's all on you. the only one responsible for your silly fraud is yourself. yet, instead, you blame me for being "insulting." which is especially hilarious, given all the insults you threw my way - and all i said is that you're a fraud. which you objectively are, and i had already proven.

tl;dr - waaa.

tl;dr - you were outright wrong about:

.223 and 5.56 being the same
bullet diameter of .22lr and 5.56 being the same
m855 not for sale to civilians
most "snipers" use bolt actions
ar15/m16 being less accurate than guns with less parts
that you were in the army for "many years"

ffs, you kept trying to talk about "snipers," but basic math was too much for you. what do you think long range shooting involves? keep complaining. all of your posts are my fault, because magic.

this subforum is terribad.

like with the above bullshit, that's all on you. the only one responsible for your silly fraud is yourself.

Cry a little harder 'Rob'.
Even the other members think you are a dick. You already have two "Yellow Cards". Keep pushing it my friend and you will be banned. Another asshole off the Sherdog forum.

tumblr_ljh0puClWT1qfkt17.gif

Everyone in this forum does not copy and paste from wikipedia, a lot of us here have lifetimes of experience with firearms and are capable of holding discussions without having google open. This pissing match is probably the shittiest thing I've seen in this subforum. You are both awful, and I look forward to the inevitability of both of you being banned, hopefully sooner rather than later.

Cry a little harder 'Rob'.
Even the other members think you are a dick. You already have two "Yellow Cards". Keep pushing it my friend and you will be banned. Another asshole off the Sherdog forum.

tumblr_ljh0puClWT1qfkt17.gif

oh, noes! someone on sherdog is considered a dick? that's unpossible!

Everyone in this forum does not copy and paste from wikipedia, a lot of us here have lifetimes of experience with firearms and are capable of holding discussions without having google open. This pissing match is probably the shittiest thing I've seen in this subforum. You are both awful, and I look forward to the inevitability of both of you being banned, hopefully sooner rather than later.

then do something about it.

i find it funny that correcting bs is "awful" on here. if only i knew that sherdog's 'gun' subforum would be funnier/worse than GD on arfcom. haha

This is what happens when a WR thread is transferred here

then do something about it.

i find it funny that correcting bs is "awful" on here. if only i knew that sherdog's 'gun' subforum would be funnier/worse than GD on arfcom. haha

You can easily correct/disagree with someone without being a complete and total jackass. That is why the both of you are awful.

You can easily correct/disagree with someone without being a complete and total jackass. That is why the both of you are awful.

and i CAN set myself on fire and run outside yelling about big bird. but i see no reason to, just as you see no reason to heed your own advice and choose to also be a jackass.

Great analogy. I see you failed to notice I corrected you without resorting to acting like a child, and automatically assumed that criticism about your horrible attitude was jackassery. Very impressive.

it's like you're being subjective and i'm being objective, or something?

oh, right. it's exactly that. sweet hypocrisy, though.

Back