Favorite Weapon & Caliber

Yeah, so much of your bullshit. I know about the chamber pressure issue you idiot, but I didn't want to get into a 'splitting hairs' issue. This was a basic post about weapons and calibers. Yes, it is the same diameter. Read the fucking box for the cleaning kit. Go back to your hillbilly county and try to find some deer...

NO, IT IS NOT THE SAME DIAMETER.

.223 =/= .224

223-Remington-cartridge-and-chamber-791x1024.jpg

the only thing identical between .223 and 5.56 is the actual brass. the pressure, projectile itself and powder charge are different to a not insignificant degree.

the only thing identical between .223 and 5.56 is the actual brass. the pressure, projectile itself and powder charge are different to a not insignificant degree.

The projectiles are the same.

The only difference between .223 ammo and 5.56 is the powder charge. Technically I believe anything loaded over saami spec .223 pressure could be considered 5.56.

The chambers in the guns are the major difference.

NO, IT IS NOT THE SAME DIAMETER.

.223 =/= .224

.223 and 5.56 use .224 diameter bullets...

Almost all 22 designated calibers use the same .224 bullets. The only actual .223 bullet is used in the old hornet iirc.

.220 swift, 22-250, .221 fireball, .223, 5.56, etc all use the same .224 diameter bullets.

Almost all 22 designated calibers use the same .224 bullets.

.22lr, which the guy was referring to, is actually a .223 bullet. but it is not the same diameter as the .223/5.56 bullets, which is .224.

.223 =/= .224

Ok 'mafia' boy, you win by .001. Too small of a difference to really matter in my book.
”The 5.56 has a higher pressure from the .223. While 5.56 chambers can safely shoot .223, .223 typically can't shoot 5.56 safely.” True. Thanks for the drawing. Way too technical. My initial post was very basic and I was not trying to get into the 'weeds' and details like you are doing, but whatever rocks your boat.

Also, the military cartridge, caliber 5.56 mm, ball, M855 [Green tip] has a 62-grain bullet and the propellant burns faster, which decreases the muzzle flash and gives a higher muzzle velocity. This version is not sold to the public. At least not that I am aware.

Ok 'mafia' boy, you win by .001. Too small of a difference to really matter in my book.

....claims to have been in the army. thinks the difference between .224 bullets and .223 doesn't "really matter."

cool story.

”The 5.56 has a higher pressure from the .223. While 5.56 chambers can safely shoot .223, .223 typically can't shoot 5.56 safely.” True. Thanks for the drawing. Way too technical. My initial post was very basic and I was not trying to get into the 'weeds' and details like you are doing, but whatever rocks your boat.

Also, the military cartridge, caliber 5.56 mm, ball, M855 [Green tip] has a 62-grain bullet and the propellant burns faster, which decreases the muzzle flash and gives a higher muzzle velocity. This version is not sold to the public. At least not that I am aware.

WTF.

i have literally 12 cases of m855. anyone can buy them. you're such an obvious fraud.

and you mention snipers and post a mcmillan .50 bmg, but knowing that 2 calibers are COMPLETELY FUCKING DIFFERENT is "Way too technical?"

you are soooooooooooooo full of shit. you were in the army like i am barak obama.

and no, i don't shoot shitty wolf ammo. at least not in anything that doesn't end in "x39"

Who knew this thread would turn into such a technical pissing match? <Eek2.0>:D

Who knew this thread would turn into such a technical pissing match? <Eek2.0>:D

...it's really not that technical. someone pretended to be a soldier and someone else laughed at the posts suggesting a long time soldier doesn't know the difference between .22lr and 5.56 - and funnier, thinks that it doesn't really matter.

i'm just insulted that he didn't pretend to be a seal.

...it's really not that technical. someone pretended to be a soldier and someone else laughed at the posts suggesting a long time soldier doesn't know the difference between .22lr and 5.56 - and funnier, thinks that it doesn't really matter.

i'm just insulted that he didn't pretend to be a seal.

I agree there's a difference, but those diagrams made my eyes roll back in my end and a little drool spilled from my lower lip.

This version is not sold to the public. At least not that I am aware.
I have 500 rounds of the stuff sitting in my closet and another 1000 at my folks place in an ammo can.

and no, i don't shoot shitty wolf ammo. at least not in anything that doesn't end in "x39"
IMO Wolf Gold is pretty decent shooting. I've never shot the steel case stuff but MAC doesn't seem to mind the stuff:

I personally have never shot it but I know a guy that DOES shoot it and has shot that shit tier Silver Bear garbage and outside of it not being super accurate he doesn't have issues with it.

IMO Wolf Gold is pretty decent shooting. I've never shot the steel case stuff but MAC doesn't seem to mind the stuff:

gold isn't shitty wolf, though. it's standard plinking ammo (polymer/lacquered/whatever) is the shitty wolf. but great for AKs... or anything that's just a plinker and won't be shooting brass later.

and yeah, the shitty ammo is... sort of ok. in terms of basic range ammo. but the problem is shooting brass cased afterwards, without a through chamber cleaning.

....claims to have been in the army. thinks the difference between .224 bullets and .223 doesn't "really matter."

Oh, I was in the U.S. Army all right, but I don't really give two shits what you think. You are not only 'anal' but also an 'ass-hole'. Other than having your nose in the books studying stupid ballistic graphs. Did you serve Mr. know it all? When did I ever mention .224 bullets? Go back and re-read my posts.

a long time soldier doesn't know the difference between .22lr and 5.56.

Really, when did I say that? Go back and re-read my posts.

i have literally 12 cases of m855. anyone can buy them.

This version is not sold to the public. At least not that I am aware.

Did you miss this statement ass-hole.

2 calibers are COMPLETELY FUCKING DIFFERENT is "Way too technical?"

Way too technical. My initial post was very basic and I was not trying to get into the 'weeds' and details like you are doing.

...another missed statement by Mr. dick-head who truly enjoys to insult. .223 and 5.56 are completely fucking different? Like apples and oranges or a $1 and a $5 dollar bill?

”The 5.56 has a higher pressure from the .223. While 5.56 chambers can safely shoot .223, .223 typically can't shoot 5.56 safely.” True.

...missed this one too. Damn that's three strikes my friend. I think you are out.

Last edited:
The projectiles are the same.

The only difference between .223 ammo and 5.56 is the powder charge. Technically I believe anything loaded over saami spec .223 pressure could be considered 5.56.

The chambers in the guns are the major difference.

Almost all 22 designated calibers use the same .224 bullets. The only actual .223 bullet is used in the old hornet iirc.

.220 swift, 22-250, .221 fireball, .223, 5.56, etc all use the same .224 diameter bullets.
if you do a lot of reloading, choosing between military brass or civilian brass will alter which bullets you can seat sometimes. thats why i made the point. its not the diameter, its mostly the length. i know the leade difference in mil-spec brass can make it a pain to seat some varieties of Sierra bullet (looking at you 90 gr HPBT) at least as far as making it magazine capable. hand feeding a bolt gun less of an issue but also less likely to care vis-a-vis the entire pressure debate.

we should talk about the 10mm. thats what all the cool kids shoot.

Back