Favorite Weapon & Caliber

Phr3121

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I spent many years in the U.S. Army and have fired a lot of different weapons. But to me a rifle is definitely the most fun, and most accurate, to shoot. My love of weapons have always been for rifles, I don't really care much for hand guns. Probably a minority in that area. As a young Southern boy from Oklahoma, I started out with firearms at an early age. And to think there are folks in New York city who are grown adults and have never fired a weapon or seen a live cow or horse in their lives. Never did much hunting and don't enjoy killing animals. Most of my shooting is for target practice and fun.

Anyway, my 3 favorite rifles to shoot:

1. Marlin .22LR bolt action rifle: This is the weapon, and caliber, any young boy, or girl, should start out with. After all these years and all the weapons, this is still on the top of my list. The most fun to shoot. This caliber dates back to the American Civil War.

upload_2017-7-3_0-33-3.png

2. Savage Remington .223 bolt action rifle: This caliber is equivalent to the U.S. military 5.56 caliber on the M-16. More accurate than the M-16 since it is a bolt action. The less parts in a weapon the greater the accuracy. That's why most snipers use a bolt action rifle. Diameter is the same as a .22 bullet.

upload_2017-7-3_0-44-56.png

3. Weatherby 30-06 bolt action rifle: Weatherby makes some of the most beautiful and high quality rifles in the world. And to think that the M-16 started out as an Air Force 'plastic' rifle made by Mattel, a toy company. Even though it dates back to 1906 it is a great caliber to this day. A great sniper rifle through the years. Just add the scope. I was never much of a 'scope' man myself and prefer to use 'open' or 'iron' sites. Again, probably a minority in this area. True soldiers don't need scopes.

upload_2017-7-3_0-53-18.png

Of the guns I own... while I like my G23 that I converted to 9mm my favorite pistol is my Springfield Armory 1911 .45 ACP. It's got old school GI sights and shit on it. Was my 21st birthday gift from my folks.

For rifle it's probably my Weatherby Vanguard in 30-06. I really like my AR-15 but when I built it, it's kinda front heavy. Fun to shoot and use to train with but I love my Vanguard because I get a kick out of trying to do long distance shit.

I really suspect my 6.5 Creedmoor on a R700 short action receiver will be my new favorite rifle to shoot once it's done.

I need a shotgun for ducks though.

Favorite gun to shoot that I do NOT own is my buddy's custom .338 Lapua Magnum. Thing is a goddamn dream to get behind and sling rounds downrange with.

Wrong forum!

Bruh, where in OK? I grew up in NE Oklahoma and it's all bout those SKS' growing up.

7.62x39 > all.

I've had it all but a 22 and 223 are the most fun. Blowing a handgun magazine into a wall at 10 meters isn't very challenging and you can't always find 1000 meter outdoor rangers for the bigger stuff. Those are the sweet spot if you just wanna hone your shot.

Last edited:
I haven't tried out dozens of calibers and I don't hunt, but:
I like my Glock 35 - It sits on my nightstand with 165 Ranger T's , a little too big for conceal carry.
I like my Ruger SP101, 3" .357 , my 9 y/o can shoot .38s in this all day with no problems.
My 5'0 wife likes her M&P Shield, 9mm. I keep it loaded with 124gr HSTs.

So having said all that, I think 9mm is my favored caliber. Among the more common handgun loads it's the: cheapest, adequate power, capacity, and proven with today's bullet technology. Petite women can handle the recoil.

I haven't tried out dozens of calibers and I don't hunt, but:
I like my Glock 35 - It sits on my nightstand with 165 Ranger T's , a little too big for conceal carry.
I like my Ruger SP101, 3" .357 , my 9 y/o can shoot .38s in this all day with no problems.
My 5'0 wife likes her M&P Shield, 9mm. I keep it loaded with 124gr HSTs.

So having said all that, I think 9mm is my favored caliber. Among the more common handgun loads it's the: cheapest, adequate power, capacity, and proven with today's bullet technology. Petite women can handle the recoil.
Isn't the 35 like a really entry level comp gun?

Isn't the 35 like a really entry level comp gun?

I couldn't say, I don't shoot competitively, but you're probably right seeing as how I paid a little over 600 for it. I got the 35 because of the sexy rounded slide. I have a lonewolf 40-9 conversion barrel, and shoot 9 and 40 fairly well. I would not describe the .40 recoil as snappy in this gun, though I do shoot with my left index finger on trigger housing.

Last edited:
This record has been beaten recently by another Canadian, but the video gives you an idea of what he went through...

Has anyone seen this? Vortex\Hornady Bullet-Cam. There is a 'twist' to this product...

My JAE Stock M1A. Thing is awesome to shoot and always gets looks on the range.

For pistol it's 9mm out of the CZ 85 Combat. For rifle it's 5.56/.223 from either an AR or the Tavor.

image1.jpg Glock 30SF.
45 ACP.

Last edited:
-mossberg 590a1 with 2 3/4 shells with 00 Buck. Keep it simple
-Most any 1911 style hand gun in pretty much any chambering. best trigger ever set to a fighting arm
-Sako 85 in any long cartridge. best bolt throw ever placed in a hunting arm.

My g17 gen 4

going to be buying a 1911 45 around the beginning of next year.

thinking about getting a springfield

My g17 gen 4

going to be buying a 1911 45 around the beginning of next year.

thinking about getting a springfield
Ruger makes a nice one if Springfield's bumbling of firearms laws in Illinois has you annoyed.

2. Savage Remington .223 bolt action rifle: This caliber is equivalent to the U.S. military 5.56 caliber on the M-16. More accurate than the M-16 since it is a bolt action. The less parts in a weapon the greater the accuracy. That's why most snipers use a bolt action rifle. Diameter is the same as a .22 bullet.

...what? so much bullshit.

.223 isn't the same as 5.56. 5.56 has a higher pressure. while 5.56 chambers can safely shoot .223, .223 typically can't shoot 5.56 safely. hybrid chambers (wylde) even exist to try to offer a best of both world's versatility, but the difference seems negligible vs 5.56, anyway.

as for accuracy, maybe. maybe not. ar15s (and even m16s/m4s) can be very accurate (esp if the barrel's free floated and etc, like they typically are now). likely more than a cheap, entry level bolt gun. a decent ar15 should be roughly 1 MOA. a stock savage is likely less accurate. and if one wants to build a better bolt gun, they're probably going to choose a rem 700 action, anyway. savage's don't seem to be worth tuning.

as for most snipers using bolt actions... well, no. not really. it's not 1950, anymore.

and for fuck's sake, it's NOT the same diameter, either. .22lr is .223 diameter, but .223/5.56 are .224 in diameter.

go back to the mall.

...what? so much bullshit.

Yeah, so much of your bullshit. I know about the chamber pressure issue you idiot, but I didn't want to get into a 'splitting hairs' issue. This was a basic post about weapons and calibers. Yes, it is the same diameter. Read the fucking box for the cleaning kit. Go back to your hillbilly county and try to find some deer...

Back