Favorite Tom Petty song?

Couldn't stand his nasally voice or his constant imitations of Neil Young but condolences to his fans.
His style was nothing like Neil Young but nice attempt at being edgy. He borrowed a lot from Dylan and the Beatles but Young? I don't get where that comparison is coming from at all.

Anyway, I really enjoyed his work with the Traveling Wilburies. More of a collaboration than a vehicle for Petty but still some nice performances by the guy.

His style was nothing like Neil Young but nice attempt at being edgy. He borrowed a lot from Dylan and the Beatles but Young? I don't get where that comparison is coming from at all.

I would say Petty's real contemporary's were more the likes of Cheap Trick, there was that same stripped down pop focus to his prime years although obviously he turned it to a much more diverse and arguably weighty sound than they did.

I think the big difference is comparing Petty to Springsteen, on the face of it very similar artists but the latter coming though a few years earlier was more fond on extended workouts and a rootsy sound where as Petty was tighter and more focused on hooks.

The Waiting would probably my my favourite Petty track, best musical segment on the Simpsons ever as well.

Last edited:
My personal favorite song of his will always be "Runnin' Down a Dream".

You're nuts. Last Dance is the most blatant Neil Young ripoff since Horse With No Name.

You're nuts. Last Dance is the most blatant Neil Young ripoff since Horse With No Name.
Of what song? wtf are you talking about dude, just hating on a great artist who just died?

Seriously, go fuck yourself.

Ive been a working musician for years and am very familiar with all of Young and Pettys work... I have no idea what you're on about here

Of what song? wtf are you talking about dude, just hating on a great artist who just died?

Seriously, go fuck yourself.

Ive been a working musician for years and am very familiar with all of Young and Pettys work... I have no idea what you're on about here
FUCK YOU. I'm not gonna bs my opinion because he died. He sucked last week & he sucks this week

FUCK YOU. I'm not gonna bs my opinion because he died. He sucked last week & he sucks this week
At least provide how he ripped off Neil Young

Tom Petty is one of my favorite American songwritters ever. Maybe just don't post here if your not a fan, nobody cares to read this trash

At least provide how he ripped off Neil Young

Tom Petty is one of my favorite American songwritters ever. Maybe just don't post here if your not a fan, nobody cares to read this trash
The entirety of Last Dance...vocal style, the lyrical style, the harmonica use, the arrangement, the tones the entire facking thing.

And fuck you, I can post my views. Condolences to you if you liked him but the soul never dies but I'm glad hes no longer making bland records.

The entirety of Last Dance...vocal style, the lyrical style, the harmonica use, the arrangement, the tones the entire facking thing.

I've got no dog in this fight, but yeah, Last Dance is very VERY Neil Young-ish. A lot of his songs are. It's undeniable.

Petty was alright though. Not really my bag, but he had some decent tunes.

And fuck you, I can post my views. Condolences to you if you liked him but the soul never dies but I'm glad hes no longer making bland records.
You have no idea what you're talking about. If you're going to accuse a recently deceased artist of plagiarism, provide some backup.

I like Neil Young even more than Petty... You are scum.

The Waiting

And I loved when he would bring Eddie Vedder in to sing it.

RIP Tom Petty. Legend.

Back