Favorite Songs from the 1960's

Philo-Publius

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
This was an epic decade of music...

Last edited:
Yeah. This is the decade that blew it all wide open. The progression from the early part to the end of the decade was immense. To go from Ottis Redding and the Pinetoppers Shout Bamalama to the Stooges I Wanna Be Your Dog was a cosmic leap.

And I believe what really ripped the worm hole wide open was Dylan going electric at the Newport Folk Festival in 1965. People lost their minds. They booed. Dylan didn't care. Dylan was said to have "electrified one half of his audience, and electrocuted the other". That whole '65 tour was all about plugging in and pissing people off. Time was marching forward and you were either on the bus or off the bus. He was famously called "Judas" at a show in Manchester. But it was too late. Bands like the Beatles and the Stones, after hearing an electrified Dylan went from covering old standards to writing their own material.

So much good music was made in the 60's.

(some of that dirty sax I mentioned in the 1950's thread)

(If you know your musical history, you can trace a line between this all the way back to the Otis song above)

From 1967. It says 1975 under the video, but that's a mistake.

there is too much to list such a good decade for music Rock, Blues, Country, Soul, R&B, Folk, and Pop

This was an epic decade of music...

Nib was feb of 1970. Mathematics says that’s 60s. Culture says 70s

Hey Jude
Jackson
Communication breakdown
White rabbit
Fortunate son
Stand by me
Louie Louie
Ain’t no mountain high enough
Brown eyes girl
Whiter shade of pale
Paint it black
Wild thing
Shout
What a wonderful world
Ring of Fire
California girls

So many mindblowing albums, let alone songs. Beatles, Santana, The Who, Beach Boys, Jacques Brel, Miles Davis, Leonard Cohen...

One defining moment though

So much great music in the 60's. This one (from 1965, but performance is from 93) is up there with the best, for sure

Back