Blackstar-What's Beef

Born Against-The Good Father

The Coup-My Favorite Mutiny

Band: Pearl Jam
Song: W.M.A. (White American Male)
Year: 1993

60294ab9fc28e9fab5508a50b9ae92d3.jpg

Frontman Eddie Vedder on the story behind "W.M.A.":

I think I'd probably stayed at the rehearsal studio the night before and it had been a couple of days since I had a shower and I've got my old shoes on and I don't look too great, a little grunge on my teeth or whatever. And I'm sitting there with this guy who's of a darker color than me, and along come these cops, they run around with their bikes trying to look cool. So here they come, they're heading straight for us. And they just ignored me and [started] hassling him. Compared to me, this guy looks as respectable as fuck. But they started hassling him, and that just blew me the fuck away. So I started hassling them...And one thing led to another...I was just really wound up by it...I had all this fucking energy rushing through me. I was mad. Really fucking angry. I got back to the studio and the guys had been working on this thing and I just went straight in and did the vocals, and that was the song.[3]

The lyric page for the song in the album's liner notes features a portion of a news story concerning Malice Green, a victim of police brutality.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W.M.A._(song)

Last edited by a moderator:
Gil Scott Heron
Johannesburg

One of the best ever political songs

Peruvian cocaine - imlortal technique. It really is political when you dissect it, And social.

I just came in here to post a song by Dead Prez. I have been a fan since the album Let's Get Free came out in the early 2000's. Stic.man has two decent solo albums focusing on manhood and working out.

You can't fool all the people all of the time
But if you fool the right ones, then the rest will fall behind
Tell me who's got control of your mind? your world view?
Is it the news or the movie you're taking your girl to?

FBI, CIA
ATF, KKK
IRS, TNT
CBS, NBC

I just came in here to post a song by Dead Prez. I have been a fan since the album Let's Get Free came out in the early 2000's. Stic.man has two decent solo albums focusing on manhood and working out.

You can't fool all the people all of the time
But if you fool the right ones, then the rest will fall behind
Tell me who's got control of your mind? your world view?
Is it the news or the movie you're taking your girl to?

FBI, CIA
ATF, KKK
IRS, TNT
CBS, NBC

I'm giving all of dead prez music some play recently. Like everything else I listened to when I was young, I couldnt fully appreciate the message. These guys really are on a different level from the main stream stuff. So it's no wonder they were never pushed. Only self destructive, bottom of the barrel garbage gets that kind of push.

How about I post a song that represents what I think politicians/political parties do to people instead.

Back