Favorite - Metal Gear Solid game

5 has the best gameplay of any of them. But 3 or 4 are probably the best hard to decide. I remember when i was like 13 i played the shit out of 3 and had a blast. 4 was nice too.

I own all of them, but only finished 1 and 2. I just can't get into 3 or 4, played 5 up until I captured Quiet then got bored.

My vote goes to 1

I owned Phantom Pain for awhile and really enjoyed it, but I soon realized that a lot of back story was much needed to get the best enjoyment out of the game. So I put it down.

This thread made me pick up the Legacy collection for the PS3. So I'm ready to jump into the series, but I have a stupid question. It seems like the games take place is pretty different timelines. What would be the best order to play these in, to get the most fulfillment out of the series? Think I should just jump into MGS1 and go through the series in the order they were released in or start with something like Snake Eater?

I owned Phantom Pain for awhile and really enjoyed it, but I soon realized that a lot of back story was much needed to get the best enjoyment out of the game. So I put it down.

This thread made me pick up the Legacy collection for the PS3. So I'm ready to jump into the series, but I have a stupid question. It seems like the games take place is pretty different timelines. What would be the best order to play these in, to get the most fulfillment out of the series? Think I should just jump into MGS1 and go through the series in the order they were released in or start with something like Snake Eater?

I believe "Snake Eater" is the true beginning of the saga, but it would be tough to go back to MGS1 after it.

It's pretty safe to play them in their release order though. Just be sure to play MGS 4, after 1, 2, and 3 regardless of the order you play the first three in. That's about the only essential one you have to play in it's order, to get the most enjoyment out of it.

I'd skip the original 8-bit games though, and just read their stories. They haven't exactly aged well, and unless you're a hardcore retro gamer, you probably won't last too long in it's unforgiving, archaic game design.

I believe "Snake Eater" is the true beginning of the saga, but it would be tough to go back to MGS1 after it.

It's pretty safe to play them in their release order though. Just be sure to play MGS 4, after 1, 2, and 3 regardless of the order you play the first three in. That's about the only essential one you have to play in it's order, to get the most enjoyment out of it.

I'd skip the original 8-bit games though, and just read their stories. They haven't exactly aged well, and unless you're a hardcore retro gamer, you probably won't last too long in it's unforgiving, archaic game design.

I ended up starting with MGS1 and holy shit this game is awesome! I started it around 11 last night and next thing i knew it was almost 3 am. I remember playing this in my teens, when it came out, and I just couldn't get into it at all. Now I'm wishing that I could have appreciated it then.

MGS1 - Has my favorite story

MGS4 - Is probably my favorite game. 10/10

MGS5 Had a shitty story and bored me but had the best gameplay. MGS Peace Walker is the TRUE MGS5

MGS4 - Is probably my favorite game. 10/10

Not my fave of the series, but goddamn it still impresses me at how friggin' good it looks.

Release date...2008.

Hasn't aged a day.

I ended up starting with MGS1 and holy shit this game is awesome! I started it around 11 last night and next thing i knew it was almost 3 am. I remember playing this in my teens, when it came out, and I just couldn't get into it at all. Now I'm wishing that I could have appreciated it then.

I truly envy you for being able to experience it for the first time.

And I also envy you because you don't have to wait three years to play MGS2... and another 3 years for MGS3... and three and a half years for MGS4....

MGS5 is elective. IMHO, MGS4 ends the series perfectly on a high note.

Metal Gear Solid 3.

I felt like Rambo crawling through a jungle and offing fools like a ghost.

1 hands down. I thought 2 was a piece of shit when it came out, but looking back now i do miss running through it over and over.

Blasphemy, and technically my vote shouldn't count since I've only ever played 2 games in the series, but my vote is Rising Revengence, kickass gameplay, over the top graphics/gameplay/story, i loved it. Slicing fools into pieces.

The other one i played was the most recent Phantom Pain, but to be fair it was on 360 which along with the PS3 was the shittiest version so that might be why i didn't like it too much.

But the older ones on PS2 i never played because i was into Xbox and Gamecube during that time.

The other one i played was the most recent Phantom Pain, but to be fair it was on 360 which along with the PS3 was the shittiest version so that might be why i didn't like it too much.

Nah. The game actually runs really well on last gen. It's just not very good.

Nah. The game actually runs really well on last gen. It's just not very good.
I didn't love he open world aspect, like idk i'm generally a fan of open world games but it didn't draw me in for whatever reason, i don't call it a bad game, but not my cup of tea.

I didn't love he open world aspect, like idk i'm generally a fan of open world games but it didn't draw me in for whatever reason, i don't call it a bad game, but not my cup of tea.

It's because the open world is bland and repetitive. Not much to do in it, and it all looks the same after a while.

But yeah, it's not a "bad" game. It does a lot of things right. The game play itself is deep as all hell...if you take the time to experiment with it. I don't think many did, because there is no incentive to do so. Most of the game is sneaking into bases, tranquilizing everyone, collecting whatever you're supposed to, and then leaving. After doing that a few hundred times, it gets boring because there is little to no story pushing you forward. Unless of course you don't mind listening to hours and hours of audiotape.

It's because the open world is bland and repetitive. Not much to do in it, and it all looks the same after a while.

But yeah, it's not a "bad" game. It does a lot of things right. The game play itself is deep as all hell...if you take the time to experiment with it. I don't think many did, because there is no incentive to do so. Most of the game is sneaking into bases, tranquilizing everyone, collecting whatever you're supposed to, and then leaving. After doing that a few hundred times, it gets boring because there is little to no story pushing you forward. Unless of course you don't mind listening to hours and hours of audiotape.
You summed it up nicely, that's how i feel.

MGS1- Basically a movie video game. The atmosphere is thick in the air, the heroes are sci-fi mixed with real life, and the voice acting is superb. The codec sequences were revolutionary for its time. The bosses required ingenuity with weapons. The story was emotional, grim, and adult. The music stays with me to this day. Solid 10/10

MGS2- The graphics were striking for the time. It was great seeing Snake from the perspective of an outsider. The cast of villains wasn't as strong as the first game, but it was strong. It still had that movie feeling and the game used some cool excuses to take advantage of the new PS2 hardware. The music was up to par with the first game and Metal Gear Ray was cool. This one was a 9/10 for me.

MGS3- Wow, the cutscenes in this game were really, really cool. The survival aspect was clever. Boss Battles took things to a new level. The emotion of the story was quite strong. The music was also strong. Again, the cast of characters was quite compelling but not QUITE up to where the first game was. I did enjoy this one more than 2. 9.5/10

MGS4- The graphics hold up to this day. It was a kick and a half to revisit Shadow Moses 10+ years later and I absolutely loved that. The story was cool and they still brought characters back from all the way back in the first game. The boss battles were weak IMHO and the cast of villains was by far weakest here. But the emotion we felt for Snake was very well done. I also liked Snake's supporting cast the least in this game. 8.5/10

I also played VR missions, which I enjoyed. I have not played MGS5, but hear it is good. I just don't own a latest gen console.

So:

1 > 3 > 2 > 4 but the distance between 1 and 4 is astonishingly-small for me.

I truly envy you for being able to experience it for the first time.

And I also envy you because you don't have to wait three years to play MGS2... and another 3 years for MGS3... and three and a half years for MGS4....

MGS5 is elective. IMHO, MGS4 ends the series perfectly on a high note.

I feel the same way.

MGS2 had the best writing, hands down.

And personally I think the writing is so good that it rises above the other games. 4 was a fucking joke which ruined a lot of 2's story unfortunately.

Back