Favorite "Lesser" Know Songs by Your Favorite Bands

Genesis:
Peter era - The Fountain Of Salmacis
- Can-Utility and the Coastliners
- Stagnation

Phil era - Heathaze
- You Might Recall
- Down and Out

It surprises me that some of these songs wasn't singles besides What The Hell Have I which was one due it being on a movie sound track and Fear the Voices was one the promote their boxset. Then there is A Little Bitter not a single but along with those other 2 songs were cut from Dirt. Fear the Voices is the only song they ever did that was written by Mike Starr.

Yeah, that's where I first heard it and where my liking of that song started from.

Led Zeppelin - No Quarter, Since I've Been Loving You

Black Sabbath - Megalomania

Judas Priest - Dreamer Deceiver

Dio - Invisible

Iron Maiden - Remember Tomorrow, Strange World

Quuensryche - Roads To Madness

Fates Warning - Epitaph

Last edited:
It surprises me that some of these songs wasn't singles besides What The Hell Have I which was one due it being on a movie sound track and Fear the Voices was one the promote their boxset. Then there is A Little Bitter not a single but along with those other 2 songs were cut from Dirt. Fear the Voices is the only song they ever did that was written by Mike Starr.
I’m a huge AIC fan and never knew Mike Starr actually wrote that song!No big to some..cool to me.Now I need to give it another listen.Cheers pal.

Dio - Invisible

Fates Warning - Epitaph
Eclectic mix bruv!Love ‘em all.

Eclectic mix bruv!Love ‘em all.

Thank you Shamrocker! I didn't think of my list as "eclectic" when making it, but now that you pointed it out, I can see why people would say that. There is one common thread that runs through the whole thing and it's not something as simple as "every band is either jhard rock or heavy metal." o, there is something else which I'm quite interested in finding out if you can pick up a way to describe these songs that applies to all of them. Hnt: It has nothing to do with how popular the songs were or how often they got played in concert.. It has to do with something else.. Can you figure out the common thread they all share to at least some degree? Here they are again:

Dio - Invisible

Fates Warning - Epitaph

Holy shit this was the first song I thought of my favourite band of all time.

Did Pearl Jam ever record any more songs in the style of the song "Black" from their debut album? I love that song! These are great lyrics from "Black": "I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star in somebody else's sky but why, why, why can't it be oh can't it be mine?" That is just gorgeous!

The emotions this song makes me feel are why music is the most important thing in my life and why I decided to become a professional musician.

"Tattooed all I see, all that I am, all I'll be"

Did Pearl Jam ever record any more songs in the style of the song "Black" from their debut album? I love that song! These are great lyrics from "Black": "I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star in somebody else's sky but why, why, why can't it be oh can't it be mine?" That is just gorgeous!

The emotions this song makes me feel are why music is the most important thing in my life and why I decided to become a professional musician.

"Tattooed all I see, all that I am, all I'll be"
Some under appreciated Pearl Jam songs are
Unthought Known
Just Breathe
Nothing as it seems
Elderly woman behind a counter
Better man
Present tense
Light years
Thumbing my way
Man of the hour
Check those out those songs

Thank you Shamrocker! I didn't think of my list as "eclectic" when making it, but now that you pointed it out, I can see why people would say that. There is one common thread that runs through the whole thing and it's not something as simple as "every band is either jhard rock or heavy metal." o, there is something else which I'm quite interested in finding out if you can pick up a way to describe these songs that applies to all of them. Hnt: It has nothing to do with how popular the songs were or how often they got played in concert.. It has to do with something else.. Can you figure out the common thread they all share to at least some degree? Here they are again:

Dio - Invisible

Fates Warning - Epitaph
I'm at work so i can't listen to all but a guess would be first studio album from each? Maybe songs about depression?

Some under appreciated Pearl Jam songs are
Unthought Known
Just Breathe
Nothing as it seems
Elderly woman behind a counter
Better man
Present tense
Light years
Thumbing my way
Man of the hour
Check those out those songs

Thank you! You know, because of the time when they made their debut, and because they are from Seattle, they got lumped into the "grunge rock" category but I think they are more just traditional AOR than they are grunge, don't you? I don't really find anything about them "grungy." They don't play sloppy, they don't primarily sing about how "life sucks" (the mantra of Cobain), they don't sing about heroin like Alice In Chains and others did, and they have more subtlety and mellowness although they definitely can rock out hard like in "Alive" or "Evenfow."

That being said, Layne Staley of Alice in Chains got together with some members of Pearl Jam (if I remember correctly) and they recorded a beautiful, very 1970s sounding album under the band name "Mad Season." That also wasn't grunge or at least not typical grunge by any means. It had influences as far from grunge as The Doors. Have you heard the Mad Season album and if so, what do you think of it? I only wish they'd recorded more than the one!

Back