Favorite Guitarists?

nice, great guitar playing but pop rocky too!
giphy.gif
Such a shred fest I rarely even noticed the song itself:p

I like a nice tone more than anything else...

Just watched a Vai video.
Starts with a tech handing him a triple neck.
Jesus, what a clinic. The top and bottom necks are open tuned, with the top devoted to a great MIDI organ sound.
And his playing is astounding.

But then he starts singing...

Jimmy Page, but mainly when he was in the studio and taking the time to get it right.

Jesus, what a clinic. The top and bottom necks are open tuned, with the top devoted to a great MIDI organ sound.

I used to really like Vai but recently it seems like he's more concerned with making weird sounds than writing cool tunes. Like I saw him live on TV recently and he kept doing these weird out of tune bends and weird notes where they didn't belong. I couldn't help but think if it was someone besides Steve Vai, that people would have called it a mess.

I used to really like Vai but recently it seems like he's more concerned with making weird sounds than writing cool tunes. Like I saw him live on TV recently and he kept doing these weird out of tune bends and weird notes where they didn't belong. I couldn't help but think if it was someone besides Steve Vai, that people would have called it a mess.
If you really want the best Vai, you've gotta check out his work with Zappa.
The song Stevie's Spanking is a good example

If you really want the best Vai, you've gotta check out his work with Zappa.
The song Stevie's Spanking is a good example
I actually really liked Passion and Warfare. Flexable was OK and Sex and Religion was hit or miss. I don't think I checked out his other solo stuff after that. I was introduced to Vai when he played with David Lee Roth. IT was quite a big deal back then that some dude was stepping into EVH's shoes.

Last edited:

I caught him with G3...Vai,Satriani & Eric Johnson.Huge Eric Johnson fan and I like Satch but Vai literally ripped them apart.Stole the show without a doubt.Saw him with David Lee Roth and the crazy "heart" guitar and he played two necks simultaneously.Definitely cool but lousy songs.

I actually I really likes Passion and Warfare. Flexable was OK and Sex and Religion was hit or miss. I don't think I checked out his other solo stuff after that. I was introduced to Vai when he played with David Lee Roth. IT was quite a big deal back then that some dude was stepping into EVH's shoes.
Jason Becker actually had the gig but lost hand and finger movement before the tour which turned out to be the beginning of his ALS.Would have been really cool to see what he could have done with it.

The vai song with the triple neck had two necks open tuned with one being 12 string and having a synth pickup and the other fretless and with a sustainer.

I built my first working sustainer in 1982 and shopped it to everybody including Tom Scholz and more than a few guitar companies.......and then decided it wasn't marketable.

I was wrong.

Japanese rock band Glay. I don't know which of the 3 or 4 guitarists it is, but one of them is pretty darn good.

Jason Becker actually had the gig but lost hand and finger movement before the tour which turned out to be the beginning of his ALS.Would have been really cool to see what he could have done with it.

That entire album is moster riffs and playing.

Nili Brosh visits Jason Becker and helped bring about the icebucket challenge.

Here she is doing a super difficult becker/roth song.

Back