Favorite Guitarists?

I haven't listened to instrumental guitarists in a long time; however I just listened to them right now, and it brought back the great memories that I had spending time trying to learn some of the classical songs and amazing guitarists.

My favorite guitarists:

Steve Vai:

Joe Satriani:

Edit: How could I forget about David Gilmour and Eric Clapton?

I also love listening to Jason Becker, Yngwie Malmsteen and Marty Friedman and so on...

what say you, sherdog?

hahah I am a Joe Satriani and Steve Vai guy myself!!!! you can add in there Petrucci!!!! too!!!!!!

As a drummer I love a guitar player with a killer pocket, WAY to many guitarist neglect that aspect of playing. SRV had a very underrated pocket imo...Prince is a favorite, could solo, pocket, etc. Tom Morello has a great pocket as well...underrated. Onnie Mcintyre from the Average White Band...great. Lock in with me, you're hired.

Zakk-Wylde1.jpg

r.i.p. to the spanish master, moraito chico:

Who needs david coverdale?

Sykes and Zakk Wylde trading leads.

Buckethead's "watchtower"

Steve Stevens channeling Eddie...........guitar plugged straight into 1970 100w Marshall Super Lead.

Oh yeah........forgot Charo........you know, that chick who was always on love boat and other corny shows.

It seems she plays guitar.

Last edited:
I like guitar music in general, but if I had to pick just one that'd be Satch.

As a drummer I love a guitar player with a killer pocket, WAY to many guitarist neglect that aspect of playing. SRV had a very underrated pocket imo...Prince is a favorite, could solo, pocket, etc. Tom Morello has a great pocket as well...underrated. Onnie Mcintyre from the Average White Band...great. Lock in with me, you're hired.
yeah i agree. You might enjoy Chic too if you like pocket playing.

These guys were big influences on me and the 80s new wave scene.

Check out "just got paid" cover by Bonamassa........during the song he gives tributes to John Sykes, Billy Gibbons, and a bunch of other guitar slingers.

His singing has really gotten pretty good as well........lots of emotion in "ballad of john henry"........plus he's playing a petrucci signature guitar with a really big sound.

Just watched a video of Satriani and Vai playing King Crimson's Red, with the man himself, Robert Fripp, playing in the background.
Fripp is never featured, only Steve and Joe take solos.
He should have been sitting up front with the other two in the back.

Not that they're bad players. It's just that Fripp is on a different level, even from Vai, who's a guitar genius.

Just watched a video of Satriani and Vai playing King Crimson's Red, with the man himself, Robert Fripp, playing in the background.
Fripp is never featured, only Steve and Joe take solos.
He should have been sitting up front with the other two in the back.

Not that they're bad players. It's just that Fripp is on a different level, even from Vai, who's a guitar genius.

Chuck
LaRocque
Chris Oliva
James Murphy

Back