Robert Fripp
Marty Friedman
Al di Meola
Adrian Belew
Jimi
SRV
Gilmour
Yngwie
Ed Mundell (Monster Magnet, worth checking)
Dave Murray and Adrian Smith
Paco de Lucia

Marty Friedman never gets the props he deserves imo.

Muhammed Suicmez: It's pretty crazy when a band releases 2 albums and has such a huge impact on music, but it happened with Mo and Necrophagist. These guys pushed my playing to a totally different level with Epitaph. Just wish they'd release another God damn album. Why oh why do these amazing bands do this too their fans haha?

Mikael Akerfelt: This man is soul personified. His guitar work too me defines Progressive. From full on diminished Death Metal, too Jazzy solos, too beautiful acoustic pieces and melodic metal solos, he has such a dynamic sound over the history of this band it couldn't help but have an impact on me. It's a shame that he's left his growling days behind, but he still has the voice of an angel(no homo haha).

Akerfeldt and Suicmez are my favs

I'll go for some underrated ones: I really think Motley Crue's Mick Mars is a talented guitarist, and if you'll listen to the solo in "Unskinny Bop" from Poison, you may also agree that C.C. DeVille is a really good guitarist.

Check out Guitar George. He knows all the chords.

In no particular order.
Frank Zappa
Jerry Garcia
Dave Mustaine
John McLaughlin
Robert Fripp
Marty Friedman
Al di Meola
Adrian Belew
Jimi
SRV
Gilmour
Yngwie
Ed Mundell (Monster Magnet, worth checking)
Dave Murray and Adrian Smith
Paco de Lucia
Have you heard his stuff in The Atomic Bitchwax? That's my favourite of all his work.

This guy know what is up in the world of guitarists.

My three biggest inspirations and influences to my guitar playing style are and always will be

1) Chuck Schuldiner of Death and Control Denied

Chuck is in my opinion the all time greatest guitarist in the world of rock music. The man is a legend who gave birth to Death Metal. A singer/songwriter who's skills on the guitar are extraordinary. Had the ability to play with aggression and soul all at the same time. Brain cancer took the friendliest, nicest and down to earth person when Chuck died December 13th of 2001 at the age of 34. He would have been 50 today :(

2) David Gilmour Of Pink Floyd and solo work

Is there anything that could be said about David Gilmour that already hasn't been said? He is the most soulful guitarist I've ever heard. While he may not be the most technical player like I said he plays with the most soul and passion. His guitar playing is an extension of himself and he gave us arguably the greatest solo in rock history in that of Comfortably Numb

3) Frank Zappa Of The Mothers Of Invention and solo work

Frank Zappa recorded some of the most unique music on the planet and his guitar style was solely his own. I never heard another guitarist sound like him. Many have imitated and duplicated him but nobody has been able to play like he has. Not to mention he also was an accomplished composer, singer and songwriter. Just like Chuck Frank died way too young on December 4th of 1993 of prostate cancer at the age of 52.

Those three are my biggest influences on my playing style

Below is a list of other guitarists I'm a big fan of

Devin Towsend of Strapping Young Lad, Devin Townsend Project, Devin Townsend Band, Casualties of Cool, and all other side projects

I didn't get into Devin Townsend until 2008 and boy am I glad he did. His playing style is all over the place which is a good thing. Gives us psychedelic country rock with Casualties of Cool, extreme metal with Strapping Young Lad,. ambient rock with the Ghost album under the Devin Townsend Project and a whole slew of other styles and genres. Also his vocal range is amazing. As well the vast majority of his solos are technical masterpieces full of soul and power.

Brent Hinds of Mastodon
Scott Gorham of Thin Lizzy
Josh Homme of Kyuss, Queens Of The Stone Age and Eagles of Death Metal
James Hetfield Of Metallica
Matt Pike of Sleep and High On Fire
Jus Oborn Of Electric Wizard
Adam Jones Of Tool

SYL rules-and Devin Townsend's skullet is a thing of beauty. Alexi Laiho and Mark Knopfler are my picks- no pun intended in Knopfler's case

Attachments

• th.jpeg
    th.jpeg
    14 KB · Views: 1
  • Unknown-1.jpeg
    Unknown-1.jpeg
    16.9 KB · Views: 1
I'll go for some underrated ones: I really think Motley Crue's Mick Mars is a talented guitarist, and if you'll listen to the solo in "Unskinny Bop" from Poison, you may also agree that C.C. DeVille is a really good guitarist.
Mick Mars is as talented as he is handsome

Guthrie Govan
John Petrucci
Django Reinhardt
Stochelo Rosenberg
Tommy Emmanuel
Al DiMeola
Shawn Lane
Adrian Belew
Robert Fripp
Eric Vaarzon-Morel
Jan Akkerman
Steve Rothery
Steve Hackett

To name a few I hadn't seen mentioned yet.
Trip much? Lol

I've always liked David Gilmour, but these three are probably my favorites.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back