Favorite Guitarists?

th

Most were mentioned that I like

Of course Randy Rhoads needs a mention

Guthrie Govan
David Gilmore
Marty Friedman
Andy LaRoque

Theres many more but these are the guys I've been listening to a lot as of recently

Randy Rhoads (reason I started playing guitar):

Alex Skolnick:

John Frusciante (his rhythm playing was amazing):

A few of us went to see Steve Vai, Joe Satriani and some other guy (can't remember his name). My friend was a big Vai fan while I've always thought Satriani was the greatest. After the concert my mate conceded that Satriani was on a whole other level. His YouTube clip for Flying in a Blue Dream is just beautiful.

Randy Rhoads (reason I started playing guitar):

]

Underrated rhythm section there too. Rudy Sarzo was one of my influences when I picked up the bass. When it comes to hair metal, Sarzo and Aldridge were a great foundation.

Duane Allman
Derek Trucks
Eric Clapton '60s - early '70s
Tommy Bolin
Jerry Cantrell
Zakk Wylde
Johnny Winter
Luther Allison

Stephen Carpenter is the first guy I idolised. His shit is so thick with feeling. Dude can take three power chords and build a wall of emotion.

David Gilmour is the shit. So tasteful, so graceful.

Frederik Thordendal did things with rhythm and timing that changed the way I looked at music.

Also:
Kim Thayil
Mike Enzinger
Page Hamilton
Tom Morello
Adam Jones
Andreas Kisser

Randy Rhoads
Jeff Hanneman
Chuck Schuldiner
Marty Friedman
Trey Azagthoth
Alex Lifeson
Dave Mustaine
Dave Suzuki
Alex Skolnick
Michael Denner

Last edited:
Favorite lead guitarist is Chris Poland (nobody bends like this guy), favorite rhythm guy (well half the time its mind-blowing, half the time its not really my style) is Jeff Loomis... I guess Keith Merrow kinda falls into that same category too.

I guess Dave Mustaine deserves a nod on rhythm. The dudes written some of the best riffs ever

Perf De Castro classical stuff is awesome too.

Too many to list

My personal fav is Brian May. Perhaps not the most spectacular but he sounded like an orchestra in Queen!

Note what Steve Vai says about Brian May. "I can listen to any player and pantomime their sound, but I can't do Brian May. He's just walking on higher ground."

A lot of all time greats already mentioned in this thread, so I'll throw in a couple of my faves that always seem to slip under the radar:

George Lynch

"Eddie Van Halen doesn't scare me. George Lynch scares me." - Randy Rhoads.

Michael Schenker:

The man who influenced so many, including Satriani, Hammett, Mustaine, Hetfield, Slash, and pretty much all of the NWOBHM guitarists.

A lot of acoustic/folk guitarists are criminally underrated in these discussions imo.

John Martyn is one of my absolute favourites:

Jason Becker: One of the best to ever do it, listening too Perpetual Burn as I type, hope to help support him by getting my hands on his signature Carvin by next year, beautiful guitar. The guys talents were taken from him much too soon. It's a tragedy, one of the biggest in Rock history. The man is an inspiration though, in more ways than just his music.

Marty Friedman: This man, with his work in Cacophony with Jason, aswell as his work with Megadeth and his instructional videos from back in the day had a profound impact on my playing. The guy just knew how to make lead sound so unique.

Paul Gilbert: Huge impact on me as a young player, he's one of the four key players that drove me to practice as much as I did. The guy also is one of the reasons I've played Ibanez my entire life as a musician.

John Petrucci: Dream Theater... what can I say? Amazing band. There's around 30+ songs from this band that I still listen too, Petrucci's lead and rhythm work are all great. He does ofcourse, being the band that DT is, go a little overboard on ocassion, but when he wants too make a statement outside of the fact that he's one of the greatest technical guitar players of all time, he proves time and time again that he has an ear for amazing melody.

Guthrie Govan: This guy is just... he may very well be one of the most gifted guitar players that will ever live. Nice guy aswell, seems very down to earth and completely understands that it's not all about shred. Melody, playing that serves the music is paramount.

Carlos Santana: He may not be the most technically gifted guitarist of all time, but I've come to realize that that doesn't matter, so much as your ability to actually write great music does. I always find myself going back too this lead work when I just want to sit back and have a good time playing.

David Gilmour: Similar feeling I have about Santana, amazingly melodic leads. The solos in Comfortably Numb may very well be the most soulful pieces of music ever written. Had quite a profound impact on me one rather trippy summer night ;)(and holy shit I just realized Sherdog has a bunch of saved gifs right net too smilies). He again proves that technical playing isn't everything. Just playing blues rock leads can be enough to

Michael Romeo: The guy can shred like a motherfucker, although I find, I like his Rhythm sections and songwriting ability more than his lead work. I think Symphony X are, of the American Prog Metal bands, my absolute favorite. They talk about the "Big 4" of American Prog Metal being DT, Fates Warning, Queensryche and Crimson Glory(that's where my username comes from), but Sym X are better than all of them.

Yngwie Malmsteen: He's another big influence on me, like Gilbert, Petrucci and Friedman, probably more than any of them, he inspired me to lock myself in a room for hours on end, to eat, sleep and dream about guitar. Alot of his stuff got pretty old for me as I've listened too alot of it, but he still has a few solid tracks that I love.

Alexi Laiho: Listened too alot of COB back in the day, I said there were 4 main guitar players that influenced me the most, but I forgot to mention this man. Great riffs, some of the best I've heard and his leads were often fast, but tasteful, not too blisteringly fast. Found it rather strange when I discovered the 80's/90's shredders, that he was kind of simple and "slow" with alot of his playing. Don't listen too them as much as I used too, I finally realized what everyone was saying about the vocals, really weren't too good haha. Still, big band when I was a kid.

Tony Iommi: What can I say that hasn't been said? The man MADE Metal and then he took it further. The man's playing was vital too my early years as a player and I'm, too this day, a big fan of Sabbath. Their tunes never got old for me. Timeless.

Ritchie Blackmore: Along with Iommi, the mans responsible for making some of the most iconic riffs and solos in history and for making Metal into what it is today. First riff I ever learned was, like so many others, Smoke on the Water. He made two of the best bands of the 70's. Again, what else can be said, except: Legend.

Mats Haugen: This is the guitar player for one of my favorite Prog Metal bands. Rather proud that I have him on Facebook. This guy is like if Petrucci exclusively played a 7 string and focused almost all of his lead playing on Melody(not to say that Petrucci only shreds or that Mats can't/doesn't), but I've often thought, that if Circus Maximus and DT came together they'd be the greatest Prog Metal band. It'd be cool one day if they collaborated, although, doubt this happens. He's been a huge influence on me and one of, along with Jeff Loomis, the reasons I want a 7 string so bad.

Claudio Sanchez: Guitarist/Vocalist of Coheed and Cambria. First song I heard was Welcome Home years ago. Thought it such a great modern hard rock/metal track that I had to check out more. Was surprised at how diverse their sound could be, or, honestly, how strange, but I grew to love everything about Claudio's guitar work and his vocals(rather Geddy-esque).

Chuck Schuldiner: Chuck has been called the Godfather of Death Metal. While I'm not as big a fan of that style as I was when I was a kid, Death were one of my favorite bands from back then. First album I listened too by them was "Human" and have a back patch on my cutoff denim of the album cover. He, like so many others was taken from us way too soon, but he was alive long enough to give us several great albums with awesome guitar work. Big influence on me.

Paul Masvidal: First heard this guy on Death's album "Human" and then proceeded to listen too Cynic. I've found their album "Traced In Air" too be their best, but Focus had many tasty riffs and solos that I love too this day. The guys a one of a kind I've found, in the Metal community anyway. Very original sound from his band and he added a unique flavour too the sound of Death.

Jari Maenpaa: The guys a madman. Having tried some of his solos, not only are they hard, but unique and very fun too play. The solo too Battle Against Time is still something I need to get around too mastering. Feels like I've been working on it for a decade(almost as long as it takes for them too release an album hahaha). He's not a run of the mill, tasteless scale shredder, he has his own style and he does all of his playing while singing(that'll change soon unfortunately, but his replacement guitarist is quite good himself). Many great riffs, licks and solos. Of the modern shredders he's one of my favorites for sure.

Jon Schaffer: This man's rhythms are some of the MOST brilliant aswell as some of the most taxing on the picking hand. When it comes to writing rhythm sections the guys music with Iced Earth had a profound impact on me. Great musician, lots of great songs written by this man.

Abbath: Still can't play some of this guys music. It actually kind of pisses me off because he has some great songs with Immortal and I can't for the life of me figure out how too play them hahahaha. I find it rather funny. Like Schaeffer the guys written some really great rhythms on the guitar.

Jesper Strombland: In Flames were one of my absolute favorite bands back in the 2000's. Jesper was the main songwriter of the band and had some pretty decent side projects as well. Tons of great riffs and the solo too December Flower is still one of my favorites. Pretty simple stuff, but great melodies and ideas.

Dave Murray/Adrian Smith: The twin axe attack of Iron Maiden are one of the reasons you have so many bands use this forumla too this day. I honestly think 3 guitars, like they have now, aswell as a Keyboard player and the other essentials are the way to go. 7 members. Hard to get together though. I'm sure I have a bit of both in my playing style.

Mark Morton/Willie Adler: Lamb of God were one of the best things coming out of the US back in the 2000's. When Ashes of the Wake dropped, it was like a bomb dropped with it. It's rare you get an album that's so perfect with basically every song being outstanding. Their playing was so groovy and melodic, they proved too me that lead guitar playing wasn't essential in Metal.

Muhammed Suicmez: It's pretty crazy when a band releases 2 albums and has such a huge impact on music, but it happened with Mo and Necrophagist. These guys pushed my playing to a totally different level with Epitaph. Just wish they'd release another God damn album. Why oh why do these amazing bands do this too their fans haha?

Jeff Loomis: I miss the hell out of Nevermore, but it seemed like, with The Obsidian Conspiracy, that they were out of ideas. Every band releases a bad album and up to that point I don't think Nevermore had, so that's not really fair, but that album almost made me completely give up on Metal for awhile. With that said, Jeff's guitar work up too that point was so good and his solos, while blisteringly fast alot of the time, often had pretty tasty melodies. He's another guy that, of the modern shredders, kept inspiring me too be the best guitarist I could be. Two funny stories about him and Nevermore, they formed in Seattle bac in the early 90's, so they were pressured too become a grunge band but they said "fuck you" and did their own thing. I admire that a great deal. They proceeded too write some of best and darkest Progressive Metal I've ever heard. Jeff almost played guitar for Megadeth too, but he was 16 at the time, so they went with Marty instead. I find that absolutely crazy.

Mikael Akerfelt: This man is soul personified. His guitar work too me defines Progressive. From full on diminished Death Metal, too Jazzy solos, too beautiful acoustic pieces and melodic metal solos, he has such a dynamic sound over the history of this band it couldn't help but have an impact on me. It's a shame that he's left his growling days behind, but he still has the voice of an angel(no homo haha).

Dimebag Darrell: I don't listen too alot of Pantera anymore, but Dime inspired so many, including myself. Another musician that was taken from us too soon. He had amazing tone, amazing harmonics, crushing rhythms and insane lead guitar work. Another big influence on me as a young player.

Luke Hoskins: The lead guitar player of Protest The Hero. These guys are so special a band too me and Luke's playing is a big part of that. Very melodic player and he doesn't make technical guitar work too pretentious or overdone. Tasteful and original are two words I'd use to describe his work.

Brian May: This man is... where to start. One of the greatest vibrato's of all time, iconic songs, riffs and solos galore and the man is no slouch when it comes too fast lead playing when he wants to use it. He is more than a Rock guitar player, he could add guitar too any song and make it 10 times better. Too me, one of the greatest too ever do it.

Last edited:
Back