Favorite Drummers

I like drummers who don't feel the need to go "dugga-dugga-dugga-da -crash-crash-crash" every 2 bars. Drummers who don't think playing loud equals = great.

Phil Rudd from ACDC was a great time keeper. Phil Collins had a good style to listen to. Don Henley was decent. Most of my favorites are not household names of drummers.

I doubt these choices will match up with a lot of picks here but drummers are there to keep time and help create rhythm with the bass.

Igor Cavalera

Bill Ward, Dave Turncrantz, Damon Che, Todd Trainer

Probably not a popular answer because he wasn't very flashy, but John Stanier from Helmet was the reason I started playing drums 20 years ago.

Timing was impeccable, didn't play double bass (as a punk/metal/hardcore fan I still think double bass is cheesy as hell), used drums to compliment the music (not a lot of fills/solos), and for some reason I love syncopated beats - which he did a lot of.

He focused a lot on simple rudiments, stick control, etc, which is how I learned.

Also, I used to love his snare - that highly tightened piccolo sound I think is a must for hardocore/metal - it kind of pierces the wall of distorted guitars, whereas mushy snares drown in it.

Christslaughter , Stormblast, Sunyaluxx, Dominator, Uruz, Menthor, Vaz, Draugen, A.P. Filthgrinder, Savnok, Antichrist (Black Altar), Dragor , Nicholas Barker, Gorath Moonthorn, Eek (Odium) , Erik Renton

Travis Barker. One of the few drummers I know that has his own album.

Pete Sandoval, Bill Ward, Trey Williams, Frost, Fenriz

Bill Bruford
Brann Dailor
Danny Carey
Jimmy Chamberlain
Jon Theodore
Jose Pasillas
Josh Eppard
Josh Freese
Mitch Mitchell
Tim Alexander

Pete Sandoval, Bill Ward, Trey Williams, Frost, Fenriz

fenriz's drumming off soulside journey may be the most under-appreciated drumming in all of metal. what a technical and engaging style it was.

here is some drumming from capricornus of graveland. i like the drumming on this song because you can really, "feel" the drumming. it's very organic. at times it almost sounds like horses galloping:

Old School Peter Criss of Kiss on the Drums.

fenriz's drumming off soulside journey may be the most under-appreciated drumming in all of metal. what a technical and engaging style it was.

here is some drumming from capricornus of graveland. i like the drumming on this song because you can really, "feel" the drumming. it's very organic. at times it almost sounds like horses galloping:

I just bought In the Glare of the Burning Churches and the Celtic Winter

I just bought In the Glare of the Burning Churches and the Celtic Winter

the celtic winter is to me the best graveland album, and maybe in the top-ten best black metal albums.

Back