Favorite Albums of 2017 so far?

VincentM

Masvidal will beat wonderboy
Banned
Reaction score
What are your favorite albums of 2017?

John Coltrane - A love supreme.

Every year‘s best album.

Edit: don’t want to be that guy. I think Sun Kil Moon‘s Common as light and love are red valleys of blood is pretty intense. I pick that one.

Last edited:
Clear #1 is Crack-Up by Fleet Foxes

2ad02a346e003afa2f893a4u8x.jpg

But there's been lots of others I have enjoyed that I would say were my favourites.

Les Amazones d'Afrique - Republique Amazone

208457-L-LO.jpg

This one is sweet, a West African supergoup with some of the best female musicians (apparently), but a great mix of styles, traditional african stuff, desert blues, afrobeat, funk, dub etc. with electronics from the Irish-French producer Liam Farrell who also produced From Kinshasha two years ago). Some really strong grooves on this one, with good vocals too.

Omni - Multi-Task
71Uw%2B4d3PEL._SX425_.jpg

Second album from these guys but I just discovered them and haven't heard the first. This is just a really good post-punk record, full of sharp, jerky (but also jangly) guitar melodies...very reminiscent of the obvious sort of stuff, Talking Heads, Wire, Devo etc. and there is definitely a Television influence on some of the tracks in terms of the interlocking guitar riffs (Choke). If you are into that sort of stuff you will certainly enjoy this one.

Jack DeJohnette - Hudson
1497265132_co7er.jpg

Now this is an outstanding jazz album. DeJohnette rolling back the years playing 70s Miles Davis-esque stuff on a few of the tracks. Some are interesting covers of non-jazz songs like Joni Mitchell's Woodstock, Dylan's Lay Lady Lay, A Hard Rains a Gonna fall (which I don't think worked so well) and the Band's Up on Cripple Creek (brilliant). Really laid-back, old-school vibe to it. Definitely recommended.

Hiss Golden Messenger - Hallelujah Anyhow
IMG_0176_large.JPG

As good as I had hoped it would be...always say the same thing when talking about these guys, but while there is nothing groundbreaking about it (very much in the late 60s/early70s roots rock/folk rock vein) it is just damn good music... period. As the name indicates it's a pretty positive/hopeful album, even in the face of some of the stuff going on currently, I guess that's the theme.

Jake Xerxes Fussell- What In The Natural World
61iyiOovZML._SY450_.jpg

Cover art pulled me in but this is a great record. Rootsy, americana, sweet old school blues sort of stuff.

Grizzly Bear- Painted Ruins
tumblr_oq4g3eUD2y1qzzinko1_500.jpg

Never been a massive Grizzly Bear fan, not to say I dislike them either, but I quite liked this one after a couple of listens. Definitely a proper album rather than a collection of individual tracks. No one song really jumps out at me, but as a whole it's just a really solid album with 'rich' instrumentation and production. Sounds cliche, and it probably is, but it's also pretty accurate...definitely a continuation from Shields rather than some dramatic shift in style.

Binker & Moses - Journey to the Mountain of Forever
71wCMlEFYFL._SY450_.jpg

Looking at the cover you'd be forgiven for thinking it's some 70s prog-rock record, but it's actually a brand-new jazz album. It was also recorded completely live to analogue gear, with no edits, which is pretty neat. But it's a wonderful record, lots of influences from hard-bop, soul-jazz and at other times, spiritual-jazz.

Wolf Parade - Cry, Cry, Cry
Wolf_Parade_-_Cry_Cry_Cry_445_445_95_c1.jpg

Also enjoyed Wolf Parade's new record a lot, probably their best work since Apoligies to the Queen Mary.

Ariel Pink - Dedicated to Bobby Jameson

ariel-e1505982675901.jpg

Really fun record with a range of influences...60s pysch, pop, lo-fi, 80s new-wave/post-punk, even a little bit of funk among other things. Pretty good!

Kamasi Washington - Harmony of Difference
816XVLBsS9L._SY450_.jpg

It's much shorter than The Epic (which I think is better actually, feels more cohesive). Some of the tracks feel a bit stagnant at certain points, but usually burst into life eventually (Perspective was quite boring at the start, but by the end I got more into it for example) and on the whole it's another really solid spiritual jazz record. Favourites are probably Humility and Truth.

Iron & Wine - Beast Epic
img_1f62476cb09cd3261080fcc4f4201c21138991.jpg

Standard fare for him but if you are into bearded guys singing nice folk music then you'll like this.

Offa Rex - The Queen of Hearts
offa-rex-queen-of-hearts.jpg

It's The Decemberists (never listened to much of them but they are a pretty well known band), with an English singer called Olivia Chaney. Don't know her either, but I saw this on nonesuch's website a while ago and the name of the band/cover art along with the description intrigued me. It is really good, exactly the sort of thing I was expecting. Pretty much a modern take on 70s electric-folk, very reminiscent of Steeleye Span, Fairport Convention, Fotheringay, Albion Band etc.

Some other good ones too, like Father John Misty's which has some excellent songs (and I am huge fan) but the irony and nihilism is just too much for on his latest one, lacks the warmth of his last record. Sam Amidon's The Follwing Mountain was another good experimental folk one, as was Richard Dawson's Peasant. Also liked Big Thief's Capacity, though not as much as their debut. Some where a big let down, e.g Arcade Fire's which was mostly shit imo as well as Beck's new one.

Last edited:
And not a full LP but I also loved Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever - The French Press EP
a1505110625_10.jpg

Indie band from australia, really nice guitar melodies. Pretty laid back but with a good groove.

Last edited:
SCUM FUCK FLOWER BOY
Scum_Fuck_Flower_Boy_cover.jpg

never been a big tyler fan, but this album was really good and my favorite of the year so far.

my favorite track was probably boredom

Han Bennink Trio - Adelante
Untitled-500x500.jpg

wifisfuneral - Boy Who Cried Wolf
Wifisfuneral-Boy-Who-Cried-Wolf-Artwork.jpeg

Oh, TS got banned apparently. Anyway. Good thread so far.

Run The Jewels 3. It came out in late late December of 2016, but I still consider it a 2017 joint.

CD853794-07E5-4768-86C5-D9D00A403A44.jpeg

blis. - No one loves you
a3189581768_16.jpg

Chelsea Wolfe - Hiss spun
6563395.jpg

81hQRsQ7G9L._SL1200_.jpg
This one I'm a long time Foo Fighters fan love the new album.

Clear #1 is Crack-Up by Fleet Foxes

2ad02a346e003afa2f893a4u8x.jpg

But there's been lots of others I have enjoyed that I would say were my favourites.

Les Amazones d'Afrique - Republique Amazone

208457-L-LO.jpg

This one is sweet, a West African supergoup with some of the best female musicians (apparently), but a great mix of styles, traditional african stuff, desert blues, afrobeat, funk, dub etc. with electronics from the Irish-French producer Liam Farrell who also produced From Kinshasha two years ago). Some really strong grooves on this one, with good vocals too.

Omni - Multi-Task
71Uw%2B4d3PEL._SX425_.jpg

Second album from these guys but I just discovered them and haven't heard the first. This is just a really good post-punk record, full of sharp, jerky (but also jangly) guitar melodies...very reminiscent of the obvious sort of stuff, Talking Heads, Wire, Devo etc. and there is definitely a Television influence on some of the tracks in terms of the interlocking guitar riffs (Choke). If you are into that sort of stuff you will certainly enjoy this one.

Jack DeJohnette - Hudson
1497265132_co7er.jpg

Now this is an outstanding jazz album. DeJohnette rolling back the years playing 70s Miles Davis-esque stuff on a few of the tracks. Some are interesting covers of non-jazz songs like Joni Mitchell's Woodstock, Dylan's Lay Lady Lay, A Hard Rains a Gonna fall (which I don't think worked so well) and the Band's Up on Cripple Creek (brilliant). Really laid-back, old-school vibe to it. Definitely recommended.

Hiss Golden Messenger - Hallelujah Anyhow
IMG_0176_large.JPG

As good as I had hoped it would be...always say the same thing when talking about these guys, but while there is nothing groundbreaking about it (very much in the late 60s/early70s roots rock/folk rock vein) it is just damn good music... period. As the name indicates it's a pretty positive/hopeful album, even in the face of some of the stuff going on currently, I guess that's the theme.

Jake Xerxes Fussell- What In The Natural World
61iyiOovZML._SY450_.jpg

Cover art pulled me in but this is a great record. Rootsy, americana, sweet old school blues sort of stuff.

Grizzly Bear- Painted Ruins
tumblr_oq4g3eUD2y1qzzinko1_500.jpg

Never been a massive Grizzly Bear fan, not to say I dislike them either, but I quite liked this one after a couple of listens. Definitely a proper album rather than a collection of individual tracks. No one song really jumps out at me, but as a whole it's just a really solid album with 'rich' instrumentation and production. Sounds cliche, and it probably is, but it's also pretty accurate...definitely a continuation from Shields rather than some dramatic shift in style.

Binker & Moses - Journey to the Mountain of Forever
71wCMlEFYFL._SY450_.jpg

Looking at the cover you'd be forgiven for thinking it's some 70s prog-rock record, but it's actually a brand-new jazz album. It was also recorded completely live to analogue gear, with no edits, which is pretty neat. But it's a wonderful record, lots of influences from hard-bop, soul-jazz and at other times, spiritual-jazz.

Wolf Parade - Cry, Cry, Cry
Wolf_Parade_-_Cry_Cry_Cry_445_445_95_c1.jpg

Also enjoyed Wolf Parade's new record a lot, probably their best work since Apoligies to the Queen Mary.

Ariel Pink - Dedicated to Bobby Jameson

ariel-e1505982675901.jpg

Really fun record with a range of influences...60s pysch, pop, lo-fi, 80s new-wave/post-punk, even a little bit of funk among other things. Pretty good!

Kamasi Washington - Harmony of Difference
816XVLBsS9L._SY450_.jpg

It's much shorter than The Epic (which I think is better actually, feels more cohesive). Some of the tracks feel a bit stagnant at certain points, but usually burst into life eventually (Perspective was quite boring at the start, but by the end I got more into it for example) and on the whole it's another really solid spiritual jazz record. Favourites are probably Humility and Truth.

Iron & Wine - Beast Epic
img_1f62476cb09cd3261080fcc4f4201c21138991.jpg

Standard fare for him but if you are into bearded guys singing nice folk music then you'll like this.

Offa Rex - The Queen of Hearts
offa-rex-queen-of-hearts.jpg

It's The Decemberists (never listened to much of them but they are a pretty well known band), with an English singer called Olivia Chaney. Don't know her either, but I saw this on nonesuch's website a while ago and the name of the band/cover art along with the description intrigued me. It is really good, exactly the sort of thing I was expecting. Pretty much a modern take on 70s electric-folk, very reminiscent of Steeleye Span, Fairport Convention, Fotheringay, Albion Band etc.

Some other good ones too, like Father John Misty's which has some excellent songs (and I am huge fan) but the irony and nihilism is just too much for on his latest one, lacks the warmth of his last record. Sam Amidon's The Follwing Mountain was another good experimental folk one, as was Richard Dawson's Peasant. Also liked Big Thief's Capacity, though not as much as their debut. Some where a big let down, e.g Arcade Fire's which was mostly shit imo as well as Beck's new one.

I've not heard any of the albums you just listed but I just wanted to say that this is the kind of post that we need more of in the music section.

Has to be Iteration by Com Truise for me. Such a great album from front to back.

Dopp Hopp by Doppelgangaz is fire too. These dudes are massively underrated.

105204.jpeg

Golden Teacher - No Luscious Life is pretty interesting, never heard of them before just saw the record on a top ten new records list which compared them to Can. They are some sort experimental collective from Glasgow mixing electronic, funk, dub and elements of punk, strong african influences as well on the song Diop especially (which I love as you might expect lol). I like the art-funk side of things more so than the electronic, house influences. Some of it really reminds me of African Head Charge (the song What Fresh Hell Is This?). All in all I am digging it though.

King Krule - The Ooz

Slowdive - Slowdive

61de16ab.jpg

Brand New - Science Fiction

A lot of great albums were released this year, these three are just of the top of my head.

Back