Fat Taxes: Lean Solution or Unethical Filler?

STEVEN SEAGOLD

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
"A fat tax is a tax or surcharge that is placed upon fattening food, beverages or on overweight individuals. An example of a fat tax is Pigovian taxation, a fat tax that aims to discourage unhealthy diets and offset the economic costs of obesity."

What do you think? Is it unethical to implement tax schemes aimed to curb the health of society? Or is it justified, given how much obesity costs us in taxes regardless.

It's not unethical. It's ethical but I don't agree with it.

The logical consequence of government provide health-insurance/care.

i think its disgusting when people let themselves get morbidly obese

however, i dont like legislating morality. if you wanna be a fatass and have a heart attack by 40, thats your right.

i do think that health insurance should be able to charge more if youre obese or a smoker though

next the govt will be instituting a 'wipe tax'.
if you wipe your ass more than twice, boom.
you got taxes

i think its disgusting when people let themselves get morbidly obese

however, i dont like legislating morality. if you wanna be a fatass and have a heart attack by 40, thats your right.

i do think that health insurance should be able to charge more if youre obese or a smoker though

You can also go the other way, runners, specifically marathon runners are now getting early knee surgery cuz they be busting up their legs w/ all the micro fractures every long stride takes.

Not to mention the "crossfitters"

While, yes, it sounds silly to "punish" or extra tax the super healthy, it's a double standard.

Fat people should be charged extra for anything costs incurred by their weight that other people currently have to cover.
Plane tickets, for example.

Arbitrarily taxing them for a lifestyle choice seems rude.

So who's going to decide what going to be taxed? Sodas? All Fast Food restaurants? All Burgers going to get hit with a tax? Red Meat is going to taxed? How about a pure tax on Sugar and all products containing a contain amount of Cholesterol? Red Bulls aren't good for you let's tax that. Basically what you are asking for is a slippery slope where the government relegates all food whatever the party in charge thinks is bad for you and you end up hurting more than 'fat people' including those 'poor people' the left claims to champion.

So who's going to decide what going to be taxed? Sodas? All Fast Food restaurants? All Burgers going to get hit with a tax? Red Meat is going to taxed? How about a pure tax on Sugar and all products containing a contain amount of Cholesterol? Red Bulls aren't good for you let's tax that. Basically what you are asking for is a slippery slope where the government relegates all food whatever the party in charge thinks is bad for you and you end up hurting more than 'fat people' including those 'poor people' the left claims to champion.

Chinese food and MSG? Olive Garden and unlimited pasta? Fine Dining where they literally use a stick of butter to cook your food? we can't just say

"those fat fucks at walmart drink gallons of soda, fuck them!!!"

My Govenor is a fat fuck, i'm sure he only eats at 5star restaurants on my tax dime
chris-wide-load.jpg

I can see the logic behind it but it seems like a can of worms I'd rather not open.

It targets the poor as usually processed foods, high in corn syrup and the like are more prevalent in cheaper foods. Speaking of which, it would be a sick ploy for governments to continue to subsidize the hell out of corn products, thus encouraging all these companies to use it in their process foods, and then tax people for consuming it.

I really dont care if the underprivileged get the hose but i dont want to be dinged being a person able to control their diet but still wants to indulge now and then.

A better option is to increase initiatives that force grocers to sell less than pristine produce at a reduced cost, thus allowing more people on a budget to eat healthier. Right now, a lot of tonnage of produce gets trashed because of its appearance, even though its still perfectly edible, safe and has high nutrient value. Parts of europe has mandated that grocers make those items available at a discount instead of wasting it. Id like to see that take place here.

I think looking at subsidies would also be a big step. As I understand it it´s mostly unhealthy shit like high fructose corn syrup and such things that get all the subsidizing, while healthy foods do not.

As an annoying beta vegan cuck athlete who has been in the sub 10% bf club all his life, I'm for it. Be less fat, people.

No, if somebody wants to be a fatass he should have the freedom to be a fatass.
But it's actually an interesting question for people who push for universal health coverage.
If you believe that every citizen should have the right to healthcare, carried by society and therefore carried by other individuals, it's not absurd to assume the individual also has certain obligations to the same society.

I think looking at subsidies would also be a big step. As I understand it it´s mostly unhealthy shit like high fructose corn syrup and such things that get all the subsidizing, while healthy foods do not.
We produce such a surplus of corn (the main ingredient of HFCS), we sell that same corn to Mexico.

Mexico, the country that invented the fucking Taco, and also where Maize, you know, what corn was before we scienced it the fuck out, came from.

I think fat people should take it easy with eating crap, but how many goddamn different taxes for behavior and consumption do you people want?

No, if somebody wants to be a fatass he should have the freedom to be a fatass.
But it's actually an interesting question for people who push for universal health coverage.
If you believe that every citizen should have the right to healthcare, carried by society and therefore carried by other individuals, it's not absurd to assume the individual also has certain obligations to the same society.

Yup thats pretty much how it works.. There are already taxes on most vices (Alcohol, tobacco, weed etc)..

Back