Fastest Punches?

ikarus willfly

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hi, I am making a punch detector app. It seems as my app can detect most of the punches of the pro boxers that tried it. They did around 4 punches per second.

I was wondering, whats the limit? How many punches a world level boxer can throw per second training like in the video below? And, how many do you think you can throw?

Thank you very much for your help!

Valerio

Last edited:
I'd go to YouTube and search on "Meldrick Taylor" to find out.

I always remember this sequence Shane put together vs Tony.

Time stamped but his hands were fast as hell in the whole fight.

Depends on what you call punches, full extension or are shortened versions allowed. If you just do shoe shining you can obviously get a lot more punches in. Here's Lomachenko showing a blazing number of punches but they certainly aren't full extension.

I always remember this sequence Shane put together vs Tony.

Time stamped but his hands were fast as hell in the whole fight.

Shane looked so sharp that night. Everything was on point.

check out howard davis one of the faster guys in boxing history in his fifties.

Not the fastest ever, mostly slickness, but these hands were fast nonetheless :

At his best Gamboa had some pretty freakish hand speed. A ton of other flaws, mind you, but his hand speed was special.

Depends on what you call punches, full extension or are shortened versions allowed. If you just do shoe shining you can obviously get a lot more punches in. Here's Lomachenko showing a blazing number of punches but they certainly aren't full extension.

I imagined it is highly dependent on the kind of punch thrown. I included the video to show what kind of punches I am interested in measuring. Could you give me your best estimate? Unfortunately I need numbers :(

Thank you all for your replies. Damn, it looks like there are some quick hitters out there I didn't know about. But let me put you in the corner. I need a number to tell to my app as "fastest punches to expect". It has to be as high as possible to avoid missing some hits, but as low as possible to make the punch detection stable. Please help! Lets make the punching bag great again. :D

Meldrick Taylor goes down as easily one of the fastest ever.

I imagined it is highly dependent on the kind of punch thrown. I included the video to show what kind of punches I am interested in measuring. Could you give me your best estimate? Unfortunately I need numbers :(
Well the vid that I posted said that Lomachenko threw 80 punches in 8 seconds. I haven't bothered to try and count them so I don't know how accurate that is.

check out howard davis one of the faster guys in boxing history in his fifties.

of course as others have mentioned, short punches are obviously going to be easier to throw like that than fully extended punches, for short punches like that, i never saw anyone do it better than Manny Pac, for fully extended and correct punching form, i never saw anyone faster than Hector Camacho. Statistics are so easy to skew, so 30 punches in 3 seconds sounds impossible but as you see it really isn't even that impressive. Floyd patterson once boasted 90 punches in i think it was 9 seconds, they say ali threw like 17 in two or three seconds in the brian london fight.

Thank you all. So I should expect a maximum of 10, but this is also while not hitting the bag. It is challenging but I can make it. If you want to help me testing my punch detector, my hands are waaay too slow to do it myself :D

Shane looked so sharp that night. Everything was on point.
Antonio Margarito was the perfect opponent for Shane. Shane knew how to beat that style. He came up fighting and sparring all those mexican fighters from California.

Thank you all. So I should expect a maximum of 10, but this is also while not hitting the bag. It is challenging but I can make it. If you want to help me testing my punch detector, my hands are waaay too slow to do it myself :D

I would do 15 to be safe, theres some super fast guys out there.

Ike Quarteys bazooka jab was pretty fast and accurate plus extended.

Back