Fastest boxer of all time? Who is it?

BringBackTRTforFairness

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Roy Jones Jr?

Pacman?

Anyone FASTER than these 2?

Are they the fastest in the history of boxing?

So thats the fastest boxer ever regardless of size, so obviously no heavyweights are in this discussion as fast as Ali or Tyson was, they are no match for RJJ or Pacman.

What about the featherweights etc any of them as fast as RJJ n Pacman?

It might be impossible to answer they all achieve that speed where you almost cant see the punch, so then how the hell do you tell which is going fastest.

Last edited:
Roy Jones Jr?

Pacman?

Anyone FASTER than these 2?

Are they the fastest in the history of boxing?

So thats the fastest boxer ever regardless of size, so obviously no heavyweights are in this discussion as fast as Ali or Tyson was, they are no match for RJJ or Pacman.

What about the featherweights etc any of them as fast as RJJ n Pacman?
i have heard the yarn that ali's jab was the fastest punch ever recorded.

i have heard the yarn that ali's jab was the fastest punch ever recorded.
i've heard those kinds of stories too, i don't believe them and i don't need anything other than my eyes to tell me that.

My vote goes to hector camacho, few years ago, when manny was in his prime, i was just astonished at his speed and wondered if he was faster than Macho, i went back and reminded myself of how fast macho was and decided macho was faster because he was blinding quick and he didn't rely on short 6 inch punches as manny did to do it.

Honarable mentions, Tommy Hearns on the night he beat duran might have been as fast as just about anyone, Mike Tyson was probably the fastest heavyweight ever with Patterson very possibly being faster with his hands, just like the power punchers, lots of guys could be mentioned, Pep, Ali, the two sugar rays, Johnny Bratton, flash elorde, Roy Jones, all names that come up often.

BS. Recorded how and compared to who?
they've said his jab was about 1/4 faster than Robinsons and faster than peps, it's not true, or if it is, i want to see the proof with a real breakdown of the evidence.

i've heard those kinds of stories too, i don't believe them and i don't need anything other than my eyes to tell me that.
i don't doubt your right. but it was pretty fast anyway. i have spend a lot of time slow motioning fights and ali's jab is the only one frame punch i have ever seen. mind you i have done a lot of slow motion of lighter fighters. it is a bit of a myth the smaller guys are always faster. muscle equals acceleration.

they've said his jab was about 1/4 faster than Robinsons and faster than peps, it's not true, or if it is, i want to see the proof with a real breakdown of the evidence.
Sounds ridiculous.

i don't doubt your right. but it was pretty fast anyway. i have spend a lot of time slow motioning fights and ali's jab is the only one frame punch i have ever seen. mind you i have done a lot of slow motion of lighter fighters. it is a bit of a myth the smaller guys are always faster. muscle equals acceleration.
my eyes tell me that he's not the fastest ever, what measurement are you using for a "frame" It was jimmy jacobs and bill cayton I believe who spouted the propaganda that Ali's jab was 1/4 faster than Robinson's and faster than peps, saying that ali threw a jab in fewer frames. Even if he was faster than Robinson, Ray wasn't the fastest fighter ever, many guys faster so that arguement is null. Pep doesn't even look as fast to me as camacho did but I would think that both guys threw their jabs faster than ali for the same reason i think tyson or patterson threw faster jabs, they were smaller and also had less arm length.

the fight i was thinking of was when ali was pouncing jabs off terell's head. one of the punches was literally guard to face in a single frame.

show me, i always thought as great as ali was, his speed was exaggerated, he was big, fast, graceful, athletic and he was the greatest heavyweight ever but I agree with what archie moore once said in response to was he the fastest "no, but he thought the fastest".

my eyes tell me that he's not the fastest ever, what measurement are you using for a "frame" It was jimmy jacobs and bill cayton I believe who spouted the propaganda that Ali's jab was 1/4 faster than Robinson's and faster than peps, saying that ali threw a jab in fewer frames. Even if he was faster than Robinson, Ray wasn't the fastest fighter ever, many guys faster so that arguement is null. Pep doesn't even look as fast to me as camacho did but I would think that both guys threw their jabs faster than ali for the same reason i think tyson or patterson threw faster jabs, they were smaller and also had less arm length.
just your standard frame by frame of an old vcr. usually punches are several frames to reach the target. like is said i haven't slow mo'ed some of the lighter faster fighters like camacho though.

on this note, i've watched the Ali-Foster fight many times trying to see why Bob "couldn't see his(ali's) hands at all" as he said many times after. It's phenomenal to think of any pro boxer used to seeing a lot of different styles not even able to see an opponents punches but even more phenomenal that a guy 40 pounds lighter, used to fighting little guys couldn't see his hands. I just don't see it when i watch the fight. They have said, that you had to be in there or live to really see how fast his hands were.

show me, i always thought as great as ali was, his speed was exaggerated, he was big, fast, graceful, athletic and he was the greatest heavyweight ever but I agree with what archie moore once said in response to was he the fastest "no, but he thought the fastest".
don't get me wrong i not even that big of a fan of ali. dave sands is my all time favourite followed closely by joe louis. but i will never forget that one frame punch.

just your standard frame by frame of an old vcr. usually punches are several frames to reach the target. like is said i haven't slow mo'ed some of the lighter faster fighters like camacho though.
i used to do that too, i don't know how accurate it was, i suppose it would also depend somewhat on what speed you had the thing recording on. show me the jab you are talking about i'll look at it, if it's not too much trouble. I'm not knocking ali, i love him to death, i just personally thought the speed was a bit overrated, he had so many other qualities including underrated power that made him great.

don't get me wrong i not even that big of a fan of ali. dave sands is my all time favourite followed closely by joe louis. but i will never forget that one frame punch.
ya i know, it's just a friendly debate.

i used to do that too, i don't know how accurate it was, i suppose it would also depend somewhat on what speed you had the thing recording on. show me the jab you are talking about i'll look at it, if it's not too much trouble. I'm not knocking ali, i love him to death, i just personally thought the speed was a bit overrated, he had so many other qualities including underrated power that made him great.
sorry i'm not really that tech savvy. and don't have ready access to the fight. but i'm pretty sure it was when he was fighting terrell and was pouncing a string of jabs off his head. it is on of the things that made me aware that speed overcomes technique in boxing and it was a lesson i will never forget because it made me realise that no matter how good you get there are some fighters you just cannot dodge or block. i though it was interesting that norton was able to avoid ali's jab by watching his pec muscles, he is the only fighter i have seen defend ali's jab

holmes said that every fighter reveals signs before a punch and he said ali's eyes would widen so he could block his punches, so he says. Norton had the crossarm defense and like a few of ali's opponents, like chuvalo who he admitted surprised him with the jab, had the balls to use it. Norton also had the quickness which was something ali had trouble with going back to the doug jones fight all the way to the spinks fight, Ali never had trouble with the big guys, even the fast big guys like bugner and terrel.

Back