Farmed Salmon — One Of The Most Toxic Foods In The World

Many environmentalists have an anti-meat, anti-production bias. If these researchers are anything like the activists posing as scientists who constantly attach the grain, cattle, and pork industries, I wouldn't worry about the integrity of farmed fish available for purchase in your area.

In my area of agriculture (Seed Corn and Seed Soybean), every few years some grant-chasing activist with a job at some University or Institute will come out with a report saying that "Hybrid X" is the worst thing under the Sun, and will lead us all into a 1,000 year reign of darkness, blah blah blah. Then two years later, another scientist will publish an article saying something along the lines of: "The article about the dangers of 'Hybrid X' may have been greatly exaggerated. Our testing could not replicate our colleagues findings at all".

This article was designed to scare you away from a certain food choice. You have to ask yourself, why are people trying to scare you away from this food type, and who benefits because of it?
Or there are just problems inherent in keeping these fish in close quarters that aren't being fully addressed. This is a known issue worldwide. No one is saying get rid of them. The industry looks to be sustainable and that benefits everyone, but only if standards are high. There's definitely a problem. How severe it is, time will tell, but there's no denying the issue exists.

Exactly the same thing with tobacco. They want us to believe it is bad for us because whatever.
Smoking is a process unnatural to the human body. Eating on the other hand......

Is your objection the potential contaminations that could be contained within a select few meats, or simply the consumption of meat itself? If it's the former, that concern can be eliminated simply by being slightly more conscientious of different practices of different farming operations as a consumer. If it's the latter, doesn't that sort of prove my argument?

top quality salmon

sean-salmon-4.jpg

One of the brands I have bought of wild caught salmon is completely white meat. Why is that? The one I normally buy is orange like in the picture you have posted.

All the other fish they have at Costco is to dry to eat on a regular basis. Cod ono etc

I won't wade into the toxicity issue, but about the color...

I've done a lot of salmon fishing. Wild chinook can be either white or red. It is genetics. The red in salmon comes from carotenoids in shrimp and crabs they eat. (This is the stuff that turns shrimp and crabs red when you cook them.) Some salmon have the genetic ability to break down the carotene and store it in their muscle. Some don't. However, the ability to store the carotene is dominant and so the majority of chinook (King) salmon have it.

Because the trait is genetic there are some rivers you can fish where almost all the fish have white flesh and others where none/few do.

It is too expensive to feed farmed salmon shrimp, krill and crabs so they add the carotenoids to pellets to turn the flesh color. Even salmon that would be genetically red will be white if their diet does not have a lot of carotenoids in it as would farmed fish fed only pellets without carotenoids added.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
The color mostly has to do with their diet. Wild salmon eat lots of small shrimp and krill which are high in astaxanthin and it give them that bright red/orange color.

Farmed salmon aren't fed that stuff because it isn't economical so their flesh remains white, like most other fish, but it is usually artificially died before being sold because consumers didn't trust white salmon. But afaik there is nothing wrong with it aside from asthetics.

Proper PNW native cooked salmon is one of the most delicious foods of all time. I dunno wtf is up with people eating all this dry ass nonsense.

Smoking is a process unnatural to the human body. Eating on the other hand......
Some unnatural things are good for the human body and some natural tings are not good for the human body...

Is your objection the potential contaminations that could be contained within a select few meats, or simply the consumption of meat itself? If it's the former, that concern can be eliminated simply by being slightly more conscientious of different practices of different farming operations as a consumer. If it's the latter, doesn't that sort of prove my argument?
My point is that we shouldn't dismiss what is being claimed about Salmon merely because it is scary or because you think they want to scare us or because they will benefit from scaring you.

I won't wade into the toxicity issue, but about the color...

I've done a lot of salmon fishing. Wild chinook can be either white or red. It is genetics. The red in salmon comes from carotenoids in shrimp and crabs they eat. (This is the stuff that turns shrimp and crabs red when you cook them.) Some salmon have the genetic ability to break down the carotene and store it in their muscle. Some don't. However, the ability to store the carotene is dominant and so the majority of chinook (King) salmon have it.

Because the trait is genetic there are some rivers you can fish where almost all the fish have white flesh and others where none/few do.

It is too expensive to feed farmed salmon shrimp, krill and crabs so they add the carotenoids to pellets to turn the flesh color. Even salmon that would be genetically red will be white if their diet does not have a lot of carotenoids in it as would farmed fish fed only pellets without carotenoids added.

Hope this helps.

Cool so salmon are like flamingos regarding color

Cool so salmon are like flamingos regarding color

Yep, They both have canthaxanthin (I think) added to their food when in captivity. In fact, Flamingo's will turn white if you don't keep adding the color to their food because the old pink feathers fall out when they molt and the replacements will be white.

To me farmed Salmon taste better to me because of the texture and it doesn't dry up like the wild caught ones. I always buy a pound of it each week. I might as well stop eating salmon altogether

To me farmed Salmon taste better to me because of the texture and it doesn't dry up like the wild caught ones. I always buy a pound of it each week. I might as well stop eating salmon altogether

Wild really needs to be eaten medium rare which is only 115 degrees of the grill which will raise to 120 degrees on the plate. Otherwise, as you said, the lower fat levels will make it dry.

I'm glad I live in the West side of WA, where I can go out and get salmon and razor clams for myself. Fish running around in their own shit, eesh.

I think Chilean salmon was tested with the least toxins due to their coastline being more pristine.

Farmed raised from Atlantic coast tastes so much better than the pacific wild salmon. And I eat a lot of sashimi.

Wow that's patently false lol. Pacific sockeye owns all buddy lol. I've lived on both coasts and eaten plenty of both.

Why does it have to be toxic? Its a controlled enviro. Cant they filter the frigging water? I hate big corporations. They cant give you a break.

It is true they die the Atlantic farmed salmon to make the meat pink. Wild Salmon consume crustaceans and other sea life that makes their meat pink, farmed salmon don't get that diet.

Funny enough, I actually recall a comment on reddit where a fish culturist pointed out the difference between farmed Atlantic salmon and wild sockeye salmon from Alaska. I didn't get most of what he was saying, but a picture said a thousand words.

VfidFFP.jpg

End of thread right here.

don't forget to factor in your micro plastics you sushi sucking :eek::eek::eek:s.

Proper PNW native cooked salmon is one of the most delicious foods of all time. I dunno wtf is up with people eating all this dry ass nonsense.
More of a wetass fan, are you?

Back