Far Right protests in Quebec City end in Antifa violence

And you can pretend all you want that the Far left and groups like Antifa aren't trying to shut down free speech.

Yeah, it really helpful in these debates to equate everyone on one side with their extreme members. Everyone on the left must be like antifa and all hate the 1st amendment. Just like everyone on the right must be a murderer who wants to ram cars into groups of people. And every trump supporter must be a nazi because look at these guys over here.

I'm sure we can really move forward with this type of thinking.

Yeah, it really helpful in these debates to equate everyone on one side with their extreme members. Everyone on the left must be like antifa and all hate the 1st amendment. Just like everyone on the right must be a murderer who wants to ram cars into groups of people. And every trump supporter must be a nazi because look at these guys over here.

I'm sure we can really move forward with this type of thinking.

Now you're getting it!

The first amendment protects you from government's attempts to shut down your free speech.

It doesn't protect you from free citizens.

So you have no problem with citizens silencing others through intimidation and violence? That is acceptable?

So you have no problem with citizens silencing others through intimidation and violence? That is acceptable?

No they should go to jail or at least get charged if they use violence, but if they want to come and shout the other side down with superior numbers, that's perfectly alright.

The problem with that is though that it can take months if not years to sort out all of these asylum claims, during which time, the migrants live on Quebec tax payer's dime (we already pay the highest taxes in Canada in order to sustain the hopeless bloated and corrupt Quebec government).

Welcome to every day life in America.

No they should go to jail or at least get charged if they use violence, but if they want to come and shout the other side down with superior numbers, that's perfectly alright.

<{cruzshake}>

A civil society has no place for unruly mobs shouting people down for having a different opinion. I prefer to live in a society where civil discourse is the norm. Civil discourse includes both polite speech, and much more importantly, listening.

Last edited by a moderator:
<{cruzshake}>

A civil society has no place for unruly mobs shouting people down for having a different opinion. I prefer to live in a society where civil discourse is the norm. Civil discourse includes both polite speech, and much more importantly, listening.

It's protected by the first amendment, there used to be more limits on free speech but we got rid of them.

Ok?

It should be this is reality and not everyone is decent or has common sense.

I'm not sure Nazis deserve decency anyway.

The problem is that allowing mobs to silence others will not end with silencing Nazis (Though I am not sure if Antifa's tactics are just giving Nazis a bigger voice by bringing them more attention). It will eventually get to a point where mobs are silencing reasonable discourse. It has been happening in Canada on a number of occasion recently where University Professors are being stopped from speaking. The latest even to be shut down, ironically enough, was a discussion panel at Ryerson University regarding how Universities are failing to protect free speech.

I do not want to see the precedent set where large mobs run around silencing people. Large mobs shutting people down should be aggressively discourage and Civil Discourse heavily encouraged.

I also believe Universities and Colleges should be teaching students to emotionally and intellectually deal with controversial ideas. The weak and pathetic fainting couch nonsense needs to stop.

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem is that allowing mobs to silence others will not end with silencing Nazis (Though I am not sure if Antifa's tactics are just giving Nazis a bigger voice by bringing them more attention). It will eventually get to a point where mobs are silencing reasonable discourse. It has been happening in Canada on a number of occasion recently where University Professors are being stopped from speaking. The latest even to be shut down, ironically enough, was a discussion panel at Ryerson University regarding how Universities are failing to protect free speech.

I do not want to see the precedent set where large mobs run around silencing people. Large mobs shutting people down should be aggressively discourage and Civil Discourse heavily encouraged.

I also believe Universities and Colleges should be teaching students to emotionally and intellectually deal with controversial ideas. The weak and pathetic fainting couch nonsense needs to stop.

I'd rather just cross that bridge when they get there.

Not concerned with what ifs like this.

If people feel passionate enough to go out there and protest like this, well more power to them because that's a lot more passion than 99% of Americans.

I'd rather just cross that bridge when they get there.

Not concerned with what ifs like this.

If people feel passionate enough to go out there and protest like this, well more power to them because that's a lot more passion than 99% of Americans.

The bridge has already been crossed awhile ago. The Unite the Right is not the first event Antifa has shut down and this problem is not just limited to scumbags like Antifa. There are other leftists groups shutting down free speech. As I have already mentioned in my previous post, reasonable people have been stopped from speaking in Canadian Universities on numerous occasions. There are schools such as Missou and Evergreen State College having issues with students controlling discourse.

Back