International Far right Argentinian political candidate Javier Milei has mental breakdown during TV interview

Leftists cause this type of madness in thinking men.

The IMF recommended negative interest rates for Switzerland devaluation of currency. Which has it's own problems, albeit the Country was well-insulted from this level of dysfunction

Its Cristina's pension system plus the bloated State bureaucracy all of that as a way to garner support in the classic manual for the Latin American populist.

I think something like 65% of the whole budget goes directly to pay for pensions, this is not only huge, its even more dramatic when you take into account that tax revenue (which can't be raised as Argentina has already one of the most oppressive taxes in the world) represents less than that.

That means if Argentina wanted to stop printing money more than 100% of tax revenue would go to pensions alone.

Its even more ridiculous because when Macri tried to kind of fix the issue, Peronism almost torched the country with protests, but the pension quasi-reform passed.

The ridiculous part is that when Peronism got back in power in 2019, they actually declared Macri's reform as unsustainable, the very same reform they protested against said it was untenable and rolled it a little back as more people become eligible for pensions.

Switzerland and Argentina couldn't be more different, the opposite of Argentina would be Japan a country that can't for the love of god fight against deflation.

It has definitely been rife with economic problems, however it's still the 2nd largest economy in South America with a diversified industrial base. I mean there are far worse developing Nations. I'd have to read more about the exact source of the inflation issues and why there are huge surges in growth followed by crises as I'm sure its nuanced, but Macri's administration really screwed the pooch with taking that loan. Both financially and electorally.

Can you really be considered a "Developing Nation" for decades and decades. You're right though, for GDP per Capita they're upper percentage in Southern/Central America at $13K.

Good lord... Venezuela at $3K per Capita. While Peru... a true poor country is $7.5K per Capita.

And Haiti? I knew it was bad... but $2K per Capita?

Its Cristina's pension system plus the bloated State bureaucracy all of that as a way to garner support in the classic manual for the Latin American populist.

I think something like 65% of the whole budget goes directly to pay for pensions, this is not only huge, its even more dramatic when you take into account that tax revenue (which can't be raised as Argentina has already one of the most oppressive taxes in the world) represents less than that.

That means if Argentina wanted to stop printing money more than 100% of tax revenue would go to pensions alone.

Its even more ridiculous because when Macri tried to kind of fix the issue, Peronism almost torched the country with protests, but the pension quasi-reform passed.

The ridiculous part is that when Peronism got back in power in 2019, they actually declared Macri's reform as unsustainable, the very same reform they protested against said it was untenable and rolled it a little back as more people become eligible for pensions.

Switzerland and Argentina couldn't be more different, the opposite of Argentina would be Japan a country that can't for the love of god fight against deflation.

I was reading about Peron and his fascination with fascist Italy, and his combination of Nationalist populist practices, paired with economic isolationism. You know I'm no proponent of that. A Country as resource rich as Argentina doing absolutely f*ck-all with their lithium and copper, as well as their over-dependence on agriculture which ended up primarily in the hands of wealthy settlers who never felt the need to innovate because they were shielded from competition. It's any wonder they become dependent also on IMF loans and the idea of foreign investment. They arent making significant money in international markets.

Can you really be considered a "Developing Nation" for decades and decades. You're right though, for GDP per Capita they're upper percentage in Southern/Central America at $13K.

Good lord... Venezuela at $3K per Capita. While Peru... a true poor country is $7.5K per Capita.

You can if you can never quite clear the developmental phase, or backslide significantly enough that you have to redo the entire economy.

Developing country is just an euphemism for poor country. The only Latin American country that is actually developing into a developed country is Uruguay, maybe Chile.
Argentina, however, has a pretty well educated population, it doesn't have the same problems most other Latin American countries face, namely a large portion of their population isn't composed of semi-literate people living in abject poverty.
However it is very badly run. They completely reject orthodox economics. There is no fiscal responsibility at all. And the alternative is a crazy guy saying he would abolish everything.

I was reading about Peron and his fascination with fascist Italy, and his combination of Nationalist populist practices, paired with economic isolationism. You know I'm no proponent of that. A Country as resource rich as Argentina doing absolutely f*ck-all with their lithium and copper, as well as their over-dependence on agriculture which ended up primarily in the hands of wealthy settlers who never felt the need to innovate because they were shielded from competition. It's any wonder they become dependent also on IMF loans and the idea of foreign investment. They arent making significant money in international markets.

Pretty much, Argentina is stuck in the 70s when the rest of Lat Am already moved on from CEPAL's structuralism, the hell, even CEPAL moved on from 70s CEPAL.

Developing country is just an euphemism for poor country.

Developing country was basically replaced with "middle income" country, which basically means an industrialized poor country, as in it has a State, its majority of population is urban and it has decent infrastructure for industry but overall is poor as fuck.

Can you really be considered a "Developing Nation" for decades and decades

Developing was replaced with middle income as it was clear they were trapped in the middle income and were not really developing.

Middle income is basically an industrialized country that became stagnant, like Europe in the early XX century, mostly urban population, most people know how to read and write, most of the economy is industrial and most people are just working poor.

What makes a person right or left is heriarchichal ideologies, notably anti-egalitarian perspectives that bolster social and economic classes (often one in the same). This can be achieved through set social orders like monarchy, or it can be achieved through preservation of classes via policies that cater to the already wealthy and powerful class of people.

This guy is definitely politically right. "Far right" is relative to the Country's over all Overton Window situation.

Yes, that's what I mean. Libertarianism is comparatively mainstream in the US due to your lack of institutions like strong welfare, UHC, public utilities etc and the Right's tendency to spout vulgar libertarianism in defence of corporate interests.
Here in Oz in the '80s Libertarianism was far right as we had strong unions, free tertiary education, public banking and utilities and true UHC.
After the neoliberalism and privatisation of the '90s and 2000's, and the diminishing relevance of unions due to globalisation, that is no longer the case.
I know Argentina went through a similar process in the '80s and '90s and then reversed course after the start of their (ongoing) economic crisis in 2003. I'm just not sure from reading whether that's actually gone far enough that their public institutions are at a point that their removal is again far-right.
Outside of this guy's proposed economic policies though, his reactionary social positions and apologism for Videla and the Dirty War would presumably get him that label anyway.

Back