Fantasy book Bret Hart's first appearance in WCW

skysolo

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Sting/Hogan at Starrcade was built for more than a year. The match has Sting run wild on Hogan, but then the NWO shows up and Sting beats them back. Hogan tries to sneak Sting but hits Nash instead. Sting hits the splash in the corner on Hogan and then another splash. Hogan flops to the ground and Sting applies the Scorpion Deathlock. Hogan submits. OMG a new champion.

The "WCW" wrestlers empty out of the locker room. Luger hugs Sting. WCW hoists Sting on their shoulders as confetti falls to the ring. The crowd is going nuts. WCW has finally beaten the NWO.

Then Roddy Piper's music hits. He stands at the entrance with a microphone. He comes out smiling and celebrating. He congratulates Sting on vanquishing the evil New World Order. He says to Sting you just beat the best in the world (imo always put wrestlers over). Sting you are the best.

But then Piper stops smiling and becomes super-cereal. As I'm saying this Sting, I think there is a man who may dispute me calling you the best. This man ruled New York. This man is world renown. In fact some may call him the best there is, the best there was, the best there ever will be.

Then the lights go out and pyro hits and a cheesy 90s light show with PINK lights mixed in and a terrible WCW rip off song starts to play and out comes Bret Hart. Dressed in a fucking suit. No jean shorts, no jersey, no Rugged outback boots. Dressed like a damn champion. Bret walks into the ring shakes Sting's hand while the other wrestlers mark out for Bret.

At the same time Schiavone and Hennan are losing their minds "omg the master of the scorpion deathlock and the master of the sharpshooter face to face for the first time. These are the two best wrestler in the world. I don't know what going to happen folks. Tune into Ntiro tomorrow. We are out of time. Goodnight everybody."

Last edited:
Lose the suit. Jeans, shoes, Bret hart shirt (free advertising on new merch), and some leather jacket. His character would never wear a suit. That wasn't him or what he represented at the time. But the rest of that would've been awesome

Lose the suit. Jeans, shoes, Bret hart shirt (free advertising on new merch), and some leather jacket. His character would never wear a suit. That wasn't him or what he represented at the time. But the rest of that would've been awesome
You are probably right with him advertising his merchandise. But Bret can look like a bum sometimes.

i would just have his music hit, he walks out to the ring, enters the ring and leaves. Now THAT is how you make a debut!

What they actually planned was better (botches man) because this wouldn't work as a feud. Sting was the ultimate expression of WCW, and Hart had all the sympathy from Montreal and the heat of a fresh face.

Here's my go. Main event Starrcade 97 Sting is being screwed by evil ref Nick Patrick deliberately ignoring blatant interference from nWo cronies. It makes no difference as Hogan goes for a leg drop and misses allowing Sting to sink in a Scorpion Death Lock in the middle of the ring. Patrick ties his shoe as goons swarm Sting. Hart races out with a fresh referee cleaning house leaving face ref with a downed Sting making a babyface comeback and a Scorpion Death Drop to win the title.

The nWo members shove each other angrily and split the group apart. Hogan vows vengeance on Bret leading to Starrcade 98 building on this, the 93 heat, and a dream match scenario.

What they actually planned was better (botches man) because this wouldn't work as a feud. Sting was the ultimate expression of WCW, and Hart had all the sympathy from Montreal and the heat of a fresh face.

Here's my go. Main event Starrcade 97 Sting is being screwed by evil ref Nick Patrick deliberately ignoring blatant interference from nWo cronies. It makes no difference as Hogan goes for a leg drop and misses allowing Sting to sink in a Scorpion Death Lock in the middle of the ring. Patrick ties his shoe as goons swarm Sting. Hart races out with a fresh referee cleaning house leaving face ref with a downed Sting making a babyface comeback and a Scorpion Death Drop to win the title.

The nWo members shove each other angrily and split the group apart. Hogan vows vengeance on Bret leading to Starrcade 98 building on this, the 93 heat, and a dream match scenario.
I'm tired of fuck finishes. Sting should win clean as a sheet with no help. He is the savior of WCW. And Hogan should step away from the title scene for a bit. And Sting needs a challenger.

Besides I think Bret should come out as a star not just a guy who brought a new ref. He needs an intro and lights and pyro. Xpac got a better intro on Raw after Austin beat Michaels.

The face vs face could do well. They could have held it off and done a war games with Sting's WCW vs Bret, Bulldog, anvil and Hennig maybe.

Last edited:
Would have had Bret debut on Nitro

And don't announce it or anything to get that organic mega pop

Then for a month have NWO try and recruit him and end it like DDP where Bret puts on the shirt and then hits Hogan.

Sets up a Sting/Bret vs Hogan/Nash tag match at the next PPV

he could also have started a new hart foundation with Stevie Ray and Big T who could have kayfabe married into the family. it goes like this

Big T and Stevie Ray get jumped backstage by High Energy. Then all of a sudden Bret comes in and cleans house and says "nobody messes with MY family!" Then the angle widens to show Bret's Kayfabe sisters who go over to hug their beaten down husbands

Last edited:
Would have had Bret debut on Nitro

And don't announce it or anything to get that organic mega pop

Then for a month have NWO try and recruit him and end it like DDP where Bret puts on the shirt and then hits Hogan.

Sets up a Sting/Bret vs Hogan/Nash tag match at the next PPV
Nah man announce the shit out of Bret hart on Nitro. Show stills from last night's Starcade. Show the newly crowned WCW champ with a clean WCW belt without the spray paint. Show Bret's and Sting's faceoff.

Hogan/Goldberg unannounced on free tv was one of the stupidest marketing decision in pro wrestling history. But don't say when Bret shows up just make sure to announce it so that people don't change to Raw.

I like that Nwo recruitment angle though. I mentioned before war games but that could work with the nwo vs the new hart foundation. But still at the Great American Bash Sting vs Bret happens. Bret wins the WCW title for the first time. Or maybe sooner because WCW had the best roster then. There were so many guys primed for the main event (DDP, Raven, sigh Benoit). And not too long afterwards Booker T would hit his stride. Scott Steiner would become a main event character and of course Goldberg.

After the Bret match, Sting could join the red nwo with his buddy Luger or do the Luger/Sting angle that was supposed to happen in 1996.

Last edited:
Scrap the Bret Hart gimmick. Make him a Canadian oil rig worker named Calgary Black. His finisher is called black gold, and he smears his opponents with the grease from his hair after finishing them. Have him debut midway through hour two of Nitro against La Parka, among no mention of his past accomplishments.

He should've been booked in a feud with Hogan right off the bat. He was white hot, as a baby face, going into the company. Booking him against a 10 years past-prime Flair, with no real heat between them, was a waste of Ted Turner's money.

He should've been booked in a feud with Hogan right off the bat. He was white hot, as a baby face, going into the company. Booking him against a 10 years past-prime Flair, with no real heat between them, was a waste of Ted Turner's money.
I remember being so disappointed at this. I'm not a smart mark who thinks he knows more than actual bookers but come on. He just showed up at Starrcade. He wasn't even announced as special guest enforcer or something.

I think a Hogan match should have been down the line. I think Bret needed to be reintroduced as character if that makes sense.

Last edited:
Just advertise his first appearance as him telling "what actually happened" no guest referee bullshit.

Could still punch out Bischoff for being a crooked promoter, but Sting wouldn't look like a cuck afterwards.....I'd also tell Hogan to not get so much offense in and make Sting Sting look like a dork. I'd also not put Sting in a fucking match against Macho man a week earlier and let Macho have him beat until Hogan stopped it, further making Sting look like a dork.

How it could've worked:

Sting goes over clean on Hogan to win belt
Hogan goes over dirty on Bret(unfinished business angle)
Hogan goes over dirty on Sting to regain belt
Bret goes over clean on Hogan to win belt
Sting goes over clean on Bret for belt(wcw vs WWF angle)
Goldberg goes over clean on Sting for belt(passing of torch angle)

That's like 2 years of booking the top guys.

How it could've worked:

Sting goes over clean on Hogan to win belt
Hogan goes over dirty on Bret(unfinished business angle)
Hogan goes over dirty on Sting to regain belt
Bret goes over clean on Hogan to win belt
Sting goes over clean on Bret for belt(wcw vs WWF angle)
Goldberg goes over clean on Sting for belt(passing of torch angle)

That's like 2 years of booking the top guys.
Goldberg wasn't Goldberg yet. He was still an experiment. I don't know about having Bret lose his first angle. That would kill his momentum.

Goldberg wasn't Goldberg yet. He was still an experiment. I don't know about having Bret lose his first angle. That would kill his momentum.
Having a Hogan/Hart, Hogan/Sting, and Sting/Hart fued, would've given Goldberg time to mature as a wrestler. If you give those feuds proper time to play out, that buys you a couple of years.
Mid-'99 would've been the right time for Goldie to win the big one. Not to mention, the streak should've ended before he won the title. Would've made winning it mean more. And if your only gimmick is having two-minute squash matches, you're not going to be over for long(which he wasn't).

Having a Hogan/Hart, Hogan/Sting, and Sting/Hart fued, would've given Goldberg time to mature as a wrestler. If you give those feuds proper time to play out, that buys you a couple of years.
Mid-'99 would've been the right time for Goldie to win the big one. Not to mention, the streak should've ended before he won the title. Would've made winning it mean more. And if your only gimmick is having two-minute squash matches, you're not going to be over for long(which he wasn't).
Jesus man. Goldberg should have never lost.

Losing kills. It would not mean more. Dude come on. Goldberg was over until the end of WCW. He should have never lost.

Jesus man. Goldberg should have never lost.

Losing kills. It would not mean more. Dude come on. Goldberg was over until the end of WCW. He should have never lost.
I disagree. If never losing is your gimmick, marks aren't going to keep paying to see you perform. Most of the biggest draws ever had many different matches in their arsenal. Hell, even Hogan, the king of one-dimensional wrestlers, had to reinvent himself(multiple times).

And Goldberg wasn't over until the then. I saw him live in '98. Even then, fans were tired of the "who's next" gimmick. The Goldberg was anything but organic.

Back