Fairtex Safety Training Gloves - made for sparring or bag/mitt work?

Cam101

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I've read from some people these are for sparring. Now here's where it got confusing. If you look at the CSI website they list the gloves for sparring. But in their magazine they have them listed them as a bag glove. I scanned the magazine on the bottom to show you.

Fairtex Safety Sparring Gloves-Combatsports.com

Magazine
wlzqm1.png

I emailed them and got this as a reply:

This gloves are made for punch mitts training, speedbag, and heavy bag training. The reason why we don't recommend them for sparring is that the base of the wrist is not completely covered, which can result in scratchin your sparring partner's face. Also the knuckles don't have as much padding as traditional sparring gloves.

Anyone have these or know any further info?

Anyone have these or know any further info?

I think all the confusion comes from the fact that CSI has them listed as "sparring" gloves, when the printed information has them listed as Fairtex safety "training" gloves "suitable for heavy pounding on heavy bags", "high density padding", and "not suitable for sparring". They may be heavily padded for protection of the users hands while training, but certainly not for your sparring partners safety.

It clearly states that on the Fairtex website, but they are not on there right now due to website upgrades and changes. I am pretty sure "Mumrik" had those gloves and really disliked them, because he said, the H&L wrap around strap was really narrow, and the wrist support was pretty much non-existent. Check with him.

Ps. CSI has good gloves, just do your research with the manufacturer, as CSI tends to lump "all-purpose training gloves" and "sparring gloves" into the "sparring" category rather than put them under "bag gloves."

:icon_chee

Usually the word "safety" in the name for a glove means it for sparring. Also, the elastic roll down to cover the velcro hook & look closure is meant to protect your sparring partner from being scratched by the velcro so that you don't have to tape your gloves every time you spar.

They've been on sale for 40 or 50 bucks a few times and I ended up buying an 18oz pair one of those times. I wish I hadn't...

In my book they're sparring gloves. They're very soft.

I'll edit later with more info - gotta run.

Edit:The padding is soft - as soft or a tiny bit less than my Twins BGVL3s which are known for being big fluffy pillows so they sure as hell aren't build like heavy bag gloves. I don't see how one can argue that they aren't sparring gloves...

As for my greivances:

The leather feels strange - rather loose and a bit plasticky, it's not really a major issue though.
The hand compartment is huge (especially in the width) which probably is at least partially because they're 18oz. I prefer a snug hand compartment, so that is a minus for me. I have larger than average hands BTW.

The closure system strikes me as absolutely retarded:

P1000496.jpg

Not the biggest, widest, thickest, stiffest strap you've ever seen, right?
And it provides about as much wrist support as you'd think seeing that strap. On top of that I can't find a good way to get my wrapped hands into the gloves when the elastic part is in place, so I'll need somebody to fold that down for me most of the time.
I also really dislike that great big piece of leather on the inside of the glove (where the laces would be on a laced version) - it gives the glove a strange rigidity that to me makes it feel awkward and cheap... This glove doesn't fit like a glove.

If they weren't sparring gloves all that crap wouldn't make any sense at all. It's there to protect your sparring partner (as mvisit1 noted).

Despite having what I assume is a general dislike for this kind of design I ended up buying a pair of the odd batch of Ringside IMF tech training gloves ($40) which are made with the same kind of velcro and elastic cover system. We'll see if I like those better (they're very popular) or if I just have an irrational dislike for that system.

I have no idea why they all think they have to put the tiniest bit of cheap shitty velcro on gloves if they use an elastic cover. Why on earth can't they put a proper strap under there?

Last edited:
They've been on sale for 40 or 50 bucks a few times and I ended up buying an 18oz pair one of those times. I wish I hadn't...

In my book they're sparring gloves. They're very soft.

I'll edit later with more info - gotta run.

Edit:The padding is soft - as soft or a tiny bit less than my Twins BGVL3s which are known for being big fluffy pillows so they sure as hell aren't build like heavy bag gloves. I don't see how one can argue that they aren't sparring gloves...

As for my greivances:

The leather feels strange - rather loose and a bit plasticky, it's not really a major issue though.
The hand compartment is huge (especially in the width) which probably is at least partially because they're 18oz. I prefer a snug hand compartment, so that is a minus for me. I have larger than average hands BTW.

The closure system strikes me as absolutely retarded:

P1000496.jpg

Not the biggest, widest, thickest, stiffest strap you've ever seen, right?
And it provides about as much wrist support as you'd think seeing that strap. On top of that I can't find a good way to get my wrapped hands into the gloves when the elastic part is in place, so I'll need somebody to fold that down for me most of the time.
I also really dislike that great big piece of leather on the inside of the glove (where the laces would be on a laced version) - it gives the glove a strange rigidity that to me makes it feel awkward and cheap... This glove doesn't fit like a glove.

If they weren't sparring gloves all that crap wouldn't make any sense at all. It's there to protect your sparring partner (as mvisit1 noted).

Despite having what I assume is a general dislike for this kind of design I ended up buying a pair of the odd batch of Ringside IMF tech training gloves ($40) which are made with the same kind of velcro and elastic cover system. We'll see if I like those better (they're very popular) or if I just have an irrational dislike for that system.

I have no idea why they all think they have to put the tiniest bit of cheap shitty velcro on gloves if they use an elastic cover. Why on earth can't they put a proper strap under there?

Thanks for the insight. I thought those were the ones you had / have. Softer or as soft as BGVL-3's certainly qualifies as sparring gloves in my book too. What's up with the "suitable for heavy pounding on bags", "high density padding", and "not suitable for sparring" quotes from Fairtex and CSI?

Looks like they spared no expense on that super heavy duty looking hook and loop velcro wrap around strap, huh? :icon_lol:

:icon_chee

Yeah, we'll see if it is much better on the IMFs... :)

Despite having what I assume is a general dislike for this kind of design I ended up buying a pair of the odd batch of Ringside IMF tech training gloves ($40) which are made with the same kind of velcro and elastic cover system.

Where/when did u buy Ringside imf training gloves for 40$?

It was linked in their newsletter.

just get the black sparring gloves from fairtex, i own them and they r legit

Fairtex said this:

They are for bag and pad work but are not recommended for sparring. If you are looking for an all around glove that can be used for not only bag and pad work but for sparring, we would suggest the BGV1 - Training Gloves. If you are looking for something that is just for sparring, we would suggest something like the BGV5 - Pro Sparring Gloves.

necrobump.

Just got a pair of these from a secondhand sports store, and I think I'm going to enjoy them. They do remind of of my old safety IMFs which I enjoyed using until the padding tore in half in one glove and disintegrated in the other.

I'll post pics later, but they have Kronk screenprinting and embroidery which is pretty sick. I will agree that the strap is thin, but the strap is just to secure, not to provide wrist support imo. The pulldown cover is what provides most of the wrist support for me.

I have larger hands/forearms and so these feel really good. I'm pretty sure they're the same model as the red ones above. In comparison with the IMFs, these gloves are constructed beautifully. These are my first pair of Fairtex, and I'm very impressed with the build quality.

Back