Fairtex BGV1 Review

Nice review bud. One of the most popular gloves out there. Can't say my favorite ever but solid. Let me know what you think of the Velcro in about a month. I'm curious to see if it still gives out. I'm hoping they fixed it.

Ive been using the same pair 4 days a week for the past 6 months and they are holding up fine.

Next up clamp hopefully today is the r2c deluxe mim review

oh trust me my friend, I only did it because I had read several reviews and comments they are like Reyes in terms of craftsmanship.

Tell me more about the BGV9 and 7s what are they like?

The BGV9s are Fairtex's version of Cleto Reyes or a Mexican-style glove. The 7's, I believe, are identical to the 9's but are lace-ups. They're supposed to be some of the best gloves out there. The BGV1s are great, but if you want a glove that compares to Reyes, the 9's are up there. Here's a link I found, an old comparison between the 9s and a pair of Cleto Reyes gloves.

http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f67/cleto-reyes-16oz-fairtex-bgv9-16oz-1892525/

Is the leather the same as the bvg1 i take it?

I've had these in 14oz for about 2 years and I love them. Took a while to break them in but it was worth it. Got them at a steal as well

Just ordered 3 pairs of fairtex and a pair of winnings....

Yikes....lol

Is the leather the same as the bvg1 i take it?

I'm not sure. There's a good documentary, on Netflix I believe, called Fightville that follows Dustin Pourier's rise to the UFC. He uses the BGL 7s a lot on the mitts and the leather looks amazing. I'm not sure if it's the same leather used for the BGV1s. It probably won't be on Cleto Reyes' level. I think it's the goat leather they use in Mexico--it has such a unique feel to it, moreso so than common cowhide.

They do use goat leather in mexico but not in reyes they use cow.

The bgl7 leather is Damn nice, not quite Reyes nice, but its not miles away.

They do use goat leather in mexico but not in reyes they use cow.

Are you sure? I could've sworn Reyes gloves are made from goat leather, that's why it feels so different. I know when I received my Reyes training gloves they had a very distinct smell, far different from my other gloves (which are cowhide). I'm not sure if it's the tanning process that creates that smell or the leather.

The Reyes Professional fight gloves are goat leather or are advertised as such.

http://www.sugarrays.co.uk/shop/cleto-reyes-boxing-equipment.html#/shop/cleto-reyes-lace-up-sparring-gloves-black.html

https://shop.boundboxing.com/mobile/product.asp?itemid=20

The odd thing about the second link is that mentions both cowhide and goat leather. Perhaps they use a bit of both. Whatever leather it is, it's unique and distinctive. Cheers.

I stand corrected. I'm curious to see how Reyes preps their leather now (I'll start scouring YouTube for a vid if they have it). Have you tried Boxeos or the (Grant) Campeons? Where did he find that table? It's good information to know.

Juan aka technoir is Mexican in Mexico and deals exclusively with Mexican gear. So he also deals with Mexican companies/owners directly. So the chart is from them he just compiled it.

Grants aren't true Mexican gloves IMO but that's my opinion not fact, just wanted to be clear.

I've tried and owned boxeos and zepols.

I have 3 pairs of Reyes as well.

I believe Reyes leather superiority comes from their tanning process which I'm sure is trade secret.

Do not like the wrist support on the BGV1, the closure is too wide for me and doesnt hug my wrist well, especially in 16s.

Cant use them anyway because of long fingers which ruin the fist you can make in them as with literally all gloves that I have tried from Thailand.

That said they are good gloves though and often picked for a reason

The bgl7 leather is Damn nice, not quite Reyes nice, but its not miles away.

Did not think the leather in the BGL7 I had was noteworthy or of different quality compared to the BGV1... but the leather in the OP doesn't look as good as that of any of the Fairtex I've had so maybe there is some variation. The cross trainer bag gloves I had from Fairtex had very nice leather

Last edited:
hmm, I may sell or trade these. The lack of a grip bar is off putting.

Some Reyes equipment uses "head" leather

I remember watching a documentary on Naseem/Barrera, and Naseem had got himself custom Cleto Reyes contest gloves which used goatskin as, I think, some kind of religious thing.. don't really recall the reasoning though

read the updates, curious if youve found you like any gloves with dense padding?

Dense i mean i like the title s2s those are pretty dense.

Back