Fairtex BGV1 Review

StRatoCastR

Gear Tester/Reviewer
@Brown
Reaction score
(Updated 9/16/13 Will have * next to updates, all other text is original from the origin review)

Welcome everyone to another review done by yours truly!
Now if you don't know by now, I've only exclusively reviewed Boxing gear, but today I will be reviewing a well known Thai based glove: Fairtex.

I sided with the BGV1 Velcro all leather version.

Let me jump right into the description of the glove.

These gloves are VERY compact and small. Those people with short arms and hate long cuffs, that includes myself... These gloves are the answer to your prayers in terms of FIT.

I myself was always curious about Fairtex because a lot of people on here or other forums always ranked them along side Reyes in terms of Quality. Lemme just say this: WRONG, WRONG, WRONG. Don't get me wrong (is that enough wrongs?) these gloves are quality. But when someone tells me they are just as good as Reyes that puts things on a whole 'nother level if you smell what Im cookin'?! Its like when someone hypes up a movie so much then you get disappointed even though it was a good movie after all.. These gloves do run heavy. They are 16oz coming in at a weight of 17 3/4 oz each glove. So they are pretty good to 18oz.

Anyhow, these gloves are definitely quality! Just not as good as I was expecting. These are easily a 9/10 in terms of quality. But again I feel Reyes is a 10/10. StRato what the hell makes Reyes that much better? Its the leather, there is no comparison. I mean the Reyes is just Better that's all. But you are comparing a A- to a A+ so again Fairtex is really, well made. Let me get into the positives of this glove.

The Fit: For shorter armed fighters this is going to be a god send. It is easily ONE of the best Velcro closures Ive ever dealt with PERIOD. The Velcro is so robust its hard to pull off, its crazy, and its THICK. There is no weenie Velcro here. Now in terms of longevity of the Velcro I do not know. But out of the box it is PHENOMENAL! The glove is compact as hell! I like it for that. The thumb is a little off putting, and that's coming from me, the guy that never had thumb issues with any glove but this one is very awkward. Its a thai glove, so its in the ideal position for that. But in terms of boxing its kind of a hinderance. The Wrist support is awesome, I may try another pair of fairtex geared towards boxing if they make some but I love, love, love the wrist support. These gloves do have a break in period, ESPECIALLY the thumb. However, Easy to open hand.

The Leather: The leather is good, and as cheap as I got these gloves for, I am surprised, it is bittersweet though because so many people compared it to Reyes which kind of spoiled it for me, but it is pretty damn good, I would rate the leather Excellent. **Again these were great quality but no where as good as Reyes as people have suggested**

The Hand compartment: IMO this is the only thing that Resembles Reyes, its wide, its big, your hand moves in it. So if you don't like Reyes' hand compartment or Zepol for that matter you wont like these.

The Padding: I liked the padding, its not as protective as many other gloves but Id say it is more protective than Reyes. So I think it leans towards the punchers glove department but I think there is enough protection and absorption behind Fairtex over Reyes. The padding is stiff, hopefully it will loosen up over time! **I logged so many rounds into this glove and the padding is unrelenting, they were stiff and at times my hands stung, something im not accustomed to feeling, and this is coming from a guy that uses reyes with no added protection: like knuckle guards**

The Wrist is awesome, got extra padding around the meat of the hand for parrying shots or blocking kicks.

The Back of the hand has a TON of padding, so if you like to swarm your opponent for boxing and you need that extra defense, these are great gloves. In the Thai realm, great for blocking kicks.

The glove itself: It lacks a grip bar! SO you can NOT make the most Ideal fist. Its a shame too, I cant see why it would lack one. I know its a Thai glove but wtf you aren't supposed to punch?

The Price: I got these for $75 (shipping inc), I think it was an awesome price even with the small issues I had with the glove. Gloves around that price range are pretty much junk. I think these would fair really well even for pure boxers. More so, if you are smaller.

Overall: Great gloves considering the price range. It is a great all around glove. Some may not like certain features of the glove which I tried to outline as indepth as possible. I would recommend these based on if you like the review and are aware of ALL the features Ive outlined! **Lastly, if you can get away with the $75 price tag, and you are a fan of Fairtex get them. But the padding is almost unbearable. I do like many of the features on the glove which doesn't warrant dropping it to a C+, but I feel if you are a boxer, and you want to try a thai brand, these are NOT the gloves to try. I felt I had to drop 9% because the padding is just too stiff, even for me.**

Score: 89%/B+ (Original score)
9/16/13 80%/B- (Adjusted score)

For those that do not like to read (

Last edited:
Awesome review! Love Fairtex, though the gloves are a bit short for my fingers. Btw some people like the absence of the grip hose.

Last edited:
Excellent review. I have yet to acquire a pair of Fairtex but they are on the list. If I may ask....where did you get these for that great price?

You have a gear buying addiction, lol

I had the same issue that shihtzu has in regards to fingers (well with the bgl7s)

Nice review tho bro

Bro I have so much stuff coming in its not even funny!

Great review!

I don't think I've used a glove that doesn't have a grip bar. Even those old school speed bag gloves have grip bars.

so are you training muay thai now?

No, I was going to join a mma gym in September but things came up so I had bought some gear in the mean time, shin guards, gi, mma gloves, Thai gloves lol.

Things I have on order lol...
Ringside invicto, custom winning, 2 sets of classics, custom R2C, replacements for my ringside IMFs, beaulieu custom mitts and gloves lol...

And I have to review R2C MiM deluxe I have em.

@rsk yeah they are good gloves just a little different than what I'm used to

No, I was going to join a mma gym in September but things came up so I had bought some gear in the mean time, shin guards, gi, mma gloves, Thai gloves lol.

Ringside invicto, custom winning, 2 sets of classics, custom R2C, replacements for my ringside IMFs, beaulieu custom mitts and gloves lol...

ahh

Invicto? They look nice, I am looking forward to that review. Curious to see what you'll think of Classics as well. Buy me some Winnings bro

Yeah to be honest the invictos and winnings are the most I'm looking forward to, to be completely honest.

Winning because shihtzu and Majik love em and I just don't remember them being epic, I remember them being really good but not flawless

And invicto because they are made in Mexico, 2 I'm a gold and black guy, 3 they are supposed to be up there with Reyes.

Last edited:

You got a disease my brother. :eek:

Look forward to hearing more about those mitts.

Good review, man! I've been thinking of getting a pair of Fairtexs myself, the BGV9 or BGL7s. I hear ya about the missing grip bar being kind of weird--my Windys don't really have one and it took me awhile to get used to.

For your own sanity, don't compare the leather of any gloves you buy to Reyes. Nothing compares (maybe Grant and those MX gloves). Cheers.

oh trust me my friend, I only did it because I had read several reviews and comments they are like Reyes in terms of craftsmanship.

Tell me more about the BGV9 and 7s what are they like?

holy shit Strato.. that's a lot of incoming equipment.. goddam, lol

holy shit Strato.. that's a lot of incoming equipment.. goddam, lol

Its a rare disease brotha! Its called geargotyourmoneyitis

No but in all seriousness i quit drinking and partying about 6 years ago so i have to keep my mind off crap even now. So i try to keep moving keep myself busy and honestly im happier, healthier.
So writing reviews; dissecting gear in the reviewing sense not the literal sense, it keeps me busy. And ive gotten pms/emails and stuff so its a great hobby now! Once a payday i buy something usually. So some gear just takes awhile to make. And i didnt buy all my gear either some was offered to me to review and try. So yeah there you go lol.

Last edited:
Its a rare disease brotha! Its called geargotyourmoneyitis

No but in all seriousness i quit drinking and partying about 6 years ago so i have to keep my mind off crap even now. So i try to keep moving keep myself busy and honestly im happier, healthier.
So writing reviews; dissecting gear in the reviewing sense not the literal sense, it keeps me busy. And ive gotten pms/emails and stuff so its a great hobby now! Once a payday i buy something usually. So some gear just takes awhile to make. And i didnt buy all my gear either some was offered to me to review and try. So yeah there you go lol.

Know this feeling, Spent many years with budget gear, nowdays, Im not rich but things are solid so if I see something that looks cool, I can buy it and not sweat it. Got married a month ago and she's already like "why do you have so much fighting stuff???"....

Got married a month ago and she's already like "why do you have so much fighting stuff???"....

First of all: congratulations! Secondly, this very important point (one month) you should mention when you were praising your wife for she allowed you to test the gloves on her lol

First of all: congratulations! Secondly, this very important point (one month) you should mention when you were praising your wife for she allowed you to test the gloves on her lol

Yes shes usually wiling to put on some pads or hold pads if I go easy. But she does have a point about all the gear. She is awesome for sure.

Nice review bud. One of the most popular gloves out there. Can't say my favorite ever but solid. Let me know what you think of the Velcro in about a month. I'm curious to see if it still gives out. I'm hoping they fixed it.

Back