Failed tourney?

fluffball

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Looked all over the world for new flyweights and ended up with a guy who got cut from the UFC...

(And the way the UFC cuts fighters is fucking retarded: lose to the best fighters in the world and all the sudden you're not fit to be in the org, but low ranks guys beat homeless men and get to stay in the org. Elliott has always been good enough to be in the UFC along with dozens of other ranked fighters that get cut.)

He could go full Fightmaster by moving to Bellator after his fight with DJ.

Failed thread

In what way? I enjoyed watching the season, but ultimately they just resigned someone they had previously cut and 98% of those guys we'll never see again. Shelton seems like he could make it and I'm surprised he's not on finale.

In what way? I enjoyed watching the season, but ultimately they just resigned someone they had previously cut and 98% of those guys we'll never see again. Shelton seems like he could make it and I'm surprised he's not on finale.
.98*16=15.68

One of them is fighting for the title, one of them already has a UFC win AFTER the show and is fighting again

Surely the top 4 will be in the division...you need to rethink your math

Look at Robbie lawlor...I'm not saying Elliot will beat mm , but the UFC resigning a guy they cut and him getting better and coming back to win an exciting tournament is not a failure

How does that make it a failed tourney? None of those guys had much of a chance against DJ. The guy with the most experience against top level fighters and best chance at pulling off a big upset won it.

How does that make it a failed tourney? None of those guys had much of a chance against DJ. The guy with the most experience against top level fighters and best chance at pulling off a big upset won it.

I don't mean failed as in they got the wrong guy, I mean that the whole premise of finding some new talent was kind of silly. The rehired a guy that probably has no chance against DJ. (And a guy that should never have been cut in the first place.)

It was a cool concept, and from Fox and the UFCs perspective I'm sure it was a huge success. It was fun to watch, earned them money, and I'm hyped for the fight. But in, like a year from now, what would otherwise have been a really epic idea if the other orgs in the world had serious DJ-conteder-esque champions, it's totally forgettable. We rehired a guy, the end.

Anyway, no need to read to much into what the thread like some might be, it's just silly when you reduce it to the essential element of "we rehired a guy."

I'm not sure why you're simply boiling it all down to "we rehired a guy." It was a good tourney with good fights (aside from maybe the 2nd round), we all (the UFC and us) got a good look at champs from around the world and different orgs, and they're going to add a bunch of these guys to the roster or at least they have a chance at making it. Also, it bought them time to find the next contender to DJ, though it'll probably be someone he's already beaten, maybe twice.

They have some legit new prospects:

Eric Shelton
Hiro
Zulu ( great potential, is currently training with Cejudo)
Kai
Pantoja

(And the way the UFC cuts fighters is fucking retarded: lose to the best fighters in the world and all the sudden you're not fit to be in the org, but low ranks guys beat homeless men and get to stay in the org. Elliott has always been good enough to be in the UFC along with dozens of other ranked fighters that get cut.)

Disagree about it being a failed tourney, but agree 100% on the comments about the UFC cut criteria.

They've been having an identity crisis for years and I really wish they'd finally realize that you can have your "sport" and "entertainment" as soon as you stop trying to sell things off as something else. It's not just a UFC thing though, it's that bloody American "If you ain't first you're last" nonsense that they can't shake.

They have some legit new prospects:

Eric Shelton
Hiro
Zulu ( great potential, is currently training with Cejudo)
Kai
Pantoja

Brandon Moreno too, he's already won once in the UFC and is on the Finale card.

I want to see Hiro fight on the card somewhere. Not interested in Tim anymore.

two times

#MorenoBless

Moreno is probably the best thing to come out of the tourney. Dude is amazingly athletic and has some serious technique for being so young. I can't wait to see if he can capitalize or if he's another "the next Anderson Silva" and just peters out like so many young TUF guys.

Moreno is probably the best thing to come out of the tourney. Dude is amazingly athletic and has some serious technique for being so young. I can't wait to see if he can capitalize or if he's another "the next Anderson Silva" and just peters out like so many young TUF guys.

I think Shleton will be top too, dude has the same skills than Moreno IMO
I am sad about Schnell, he should have waited for a fight at FLW and against an easier opponent

.98*16=15.68

One of them is fighting for the title, one of them already has a UFC win AFTER the show and is fighting again

Surely the top 4 will be in the division...you need to rethink your math

Look at Robbie lawlor...I'm not saying Elliot will beat mm , but the UFC resigning a guy they cut and him getting better and coming back to win an exciting tournament is not a failure
That .32 of a fighter is a standard FlyW, according to Sherdog.

Definitely a success if you ask me. The guys have shown they're legit so far.

That's why I hate when they allow " "seasoned" fighters they walk through the competition. (Mac Danzig comes to mind)

That's why I hate when they allow " "seasoned" fighters they walk through the competition. (Mac Danzig comes to mind)
Huh?

For every seasoned fighter that walks through the competition there's a seasoned fighter who gets destroyed: Sam Alvey, Lyman Good, Shayna Baszler, Jordan Smith etc.

Huh?

For every seasoned fighter that walks through the competition there's a seasoned fighter who gets destroyed: Sam Alvey, Lyman Good, Shayna Baszler, Jordan Smith etc.

Yeah, true but they weren't that good to begin with. I could of told you they weren't going to win. Roy Nelson is another that comes to mind. Could of told you that Roy was going to win.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shawn_bogart
Back