Failed drug tests & fighter pay

MMAfan4life2

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
A couple of questions:
- Do fighters receive their pay immediately after the fight? (direct deposit into bank next day or so)
- What happens if they win, get paid win/win money, then a couple weeks later get a failed test? The win gets overturned to a NC. Do they have to pay back the win money?
- What if they don't have the money to pay back? Will organization sue them? Seriously, there are guys on the low end of pay who likely use the money on bills, expenses, etc...

Yeah, dumb questions.. But interested to know how it works. I wouldn't think the organization would hold all pay until after tests come back, there are times the failed test comes weeks later. The guys on low pay scale would likely need their money as soon as the fight is over.

Yes the get paid right away a check. Yes they get to keep the money. The promotion could in theory sue them but they'd probably spend more in court/lawyer fees than the money they paid out as fighters get peanuts.

Would like to know myself,

Hearing the stories of UFC contracts, they likely have clauses in place if you piss hot during competition before or after the fight has taken place. Not sure how much they would forfeit though.

The nature of "show" money is sketchy anyway...guys have showed up, made weight and not their "show" money when their opponent pulls out so who knows..

Would like to know myself,

Hearing the stories of UFC contracts, they likely have clauses in place if you piss hot during competition before or after the fight has taken place. Not sure how much they would forfeit though.

The nature of "show" money is sketchy anyway...guys have showed up, made weight and not their "show" money when their opponent pulls out so who knows..

When was the last time they didn't pay someone who came and weighed in on weight and then their opponent pulled out after?I just can't remember this happening for years and getting show money for that is the norm these days even though it's not a forgone conclusion.

I can't think of any in maybe the last 5 years.I honestly don't remember how it all worked before and I have been watching since UFC 1.Seems like about 5 or more years they have been paying.I can see an instance where a guy pulled out the day before and the other fighter shows up anyway trying to get that show money and not getting it.

"Show" money isn't just showing up in the arena it's stepping into the cage/ring.It's their guaranteed money to fight.

142.gif

I believe they get the show money right away and the rest is 30 wait but I can be wrong

Back