FACT: The Civil War WAS @ Slavery and the Confederacy Was EVIL

It was a rhetorical question. Land owners were still in a social caste above general laborers.

My bad, but if we're going to talk about the majority of southern whites then we should at least acknowledge that those land owners were actually a minority.

John Sweet was a Confederate Soldier, writing late in the war. He obviously isn't going to be writing about a desire to free the slaves. If you read letters written early in the war, before the fighting got going in earnest, you will hear them talk about a desire to free the slaves.

Not only did he not write about freeing slaves - he didn't write about keeping them either. Frances Russel was a union soldier writing in '62 and he doesn't mention slavery either.

So early in the war when there was no hint that slaves were going to be freed and the only reason for the war to preserve the union, soldiers were writing about freeing slaves?

No offense, but I'm gonna call BS on mass numbers of letters describing that event.

Union letters:

My very dear Sarah:

The indications are very strong that we shall move in a few days - perhaps tomorrow. Lest I should not be able to write you again, I feel impelled to write lines that may fall under your eye when I shall be no more.

Our movement may be one of a few days duration and full of pleasure - and it may be one of severe conflict and death to me. Not my will, but thine 0 God, be done. If it is necessary that I should fall on the battlefield for my country, I am ready. I have no misgivings about, or lack of confidence in, the cause in which I am engaged, and my courage does not halt or falter. I know how strongly American Civilization now leans upon the triumph of the Government, and how great a debt we owe to those who went before us through the blood and suffering of the Revolution. And I am willing - perfectly willing - to lay down all my joys in this life, to help maintain this Government, and to pay that debt.

http://www.civil-war.net/pages/sullivan_ballou.asp

Dear Wife,

I take my pen in hand to write you a few lines. I am not very well and have not been well since I left home. I have enlisted and been sworn in. I have the promise of an office of some kind as soon as the regiment is organized. We have not been mustered into the United States service yet but we expect to be today or tomorrow and as soon as we are mustered in we will get our horses and uniforms. The boys from our neighborhood are all well but they are dissatisfied about not getting their uniforms sooner. Tell father to do the best he can with my corn. I have not rec'd any money yet but will get some in a few days and I will either bring or send you some. I want to come home if I can as soon as we get some money. You must do the best you can and take care of the children and if any of you get sick let me know it immediately. If I do not come home before next Thursday write and let me know how you are all getting along. This is a big day with us as one Captain is to be married today and two other officers are to fight a duel today. There is five artillery companies camped in sight of us having about forty cannon. They are firing with their cannon every day. When you write direct your letter to Camp Anderson Jefferson County Ky care of I. O. Donnell. So nothing more at present but remaining your affectionate husband until death.

A. A. Harrison

P. S. Tell Martha, Jo is well

http://www.civilwarhome.com/letter1.html

"Nothing good or redeemable about the Confederacy"

"It was born of evil for the preservation of evil"

"Noxious legacy has done nothing but poison the generations that followed"

Those comments are false and ridiculous. @Captain Davis

I stand by the truth of each of those assertions.

But I am in no mood to re-debate a 30+ page thread with a mindless fanatic, so go back and read the whole thread.

I stand by the truth of each of those assertions.

But I am in no mood to re-debate a 30+ page thread with a mindless fanatic, so go back and read the whole thread.

a069d2cba4ad9e248b96458293b19ef9.jpg

I can honestly say that the importation of Africans was one of the biggest mistakes this country ever made.

I can honestly say that the importation of Africans was one of the biggest mistakes this country ever made.

You mean the enslavement of Africans, because Africans were fundamental in growing the American nations in the first place, since there was not much labor in the new continent.

Howso?
Can you make an argument based on anything other than estrogen fueled emotion?
Or are you suggesting that it was a good thing?
I didn't suggest any of that. I simply suggested we do away with your types as well.

Howso?
Can you make an argument based on anything other than estrogen fueled emotion?
Or are you suggesting that it was a good thing?

So America gets built onto the backs of African slaves and then you have the nerve to call their importation a mistake?

If America had never imported slaves it would had never been able to outgrow colonists from other nations that did.

If you need helping reading, call hooked on phonics, i don't have time to explain basic shit to you. That is what your special ed teacher gets paid for. Now put your helmet back on and get back in class. Remember, you can only use the safety scissors.
You forgot to mention cocks, dick, or balls like you usually do. Or did you get over your obsession?

As the old Southern joke goes,

"If we'd known ya'll were gonna be this much trouble, we'd have picked our own damn cotton!":)

Back