Fact: Ryron and Rener Gracie are the best dudes in Jiu Jitsu | Page 5

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by ReAnimator Reagan, Jun 11, 2017.

1. rmongler Brown Belt

rmongler

You're all noise and no signal.

2. yetanother Purple Belt

yetanother
    People selling McDondald's are healthy are straight up scumbags. No wonder the US grapplers are always complaining about rolling too hard.

jack36767 likes this.
  3. jack36767 Brown Belt

jack36767
    Consider I've posted here a long time and what I actually do in my personal and professional life, this post is pathetic beyond belief. Though to be fair I help kids irregardless of whether they can pay me or get me likes on Facebook if I post about it.

I know this will confuse you but I've found that excessive virtue signaling whether it comes from a religious person, liberal person, or martial arts person.. almost always indicates there's something sketchy or bullshit going on. Especially when money is involved.

Uchi Mata and anaconda like this.
  4. lechien Gold Belt

lechien
    Funny that as soonest you call a spade a spade. You become a hater. A negative and angry person.

5. yetanother Purple Belt

yetanother
    I would bet training folkstyle wrestling prevents bullying a lot better than some self defense moves.

anaconda likes this.
  6. NateTx4112 Brown Belt

NateTx4112
    ...no they can't.

7. Was at Pride GP 2000 Brown Belt

Was at Pride GP 2000
    The picture was taken about 2 years ago. The school is owned and run by their father who is a milatary veteran and probably got his brown belt around the same time Sloth Jiu Jitsu got his brown belt.
    You are right. They can't get better. Everyone on here trains 5 times a week, has a black belt and multiple time mundial champ and never was anything less than a black belt.

Here's to progress

8. NateTx4112 Brown Belt

NateTx4112
    They are still teenaged/young girls. A grown ass man with a bluebelt will handle them without much hassle especially if they are only learning CTC stuff and not training at a high level with tough training partners on a regular basis.

They are isolated, train mainly self defense with their father that has show to be protective and shelter them. No...they cannot be 80% of the people on this forum because more than 50% of this forum train on a regular basis, are a grown ass man (excluding you mr. white knight), and have a knowledge of BJJ. That 80% number is just flat out stupid and you know it.

9. jack36767 Brown Belt

jack36767
    Why do certain select people automatically assume that "obviously" no one here trains at or has in the past trained at a high level.. its asinine

10. jack36767 Brown Belt

jack36767
    It does, coaching also lets you help teach young men to be confident, have a firm handshake, look people in the eyes, not to be mean, how to be more socialible etc. and do it by not only telling them but by doing your best to set a good example and not preach and screech but actually show. And young mean learning how to be confident and capable and trying to be a positive male role model apparently is bad if it doesn't make money or use Eastern mysticism

But obviously because I'm such an "angry negative person" I'm not allowed to be proud of a kid for going from always looking down, never looking people in the eyes and mumbling, to standing & walking strait and looking at people in the eyes and having a firm handshake... and be more proud of that.. than I am that he finally won his first match (and scored his first points in a match too btw) ever in two years in the seasons last match. I should have taught him proper hespect and made him pay for the privilege. I could go on, but I'm not saying this to virtue signal, I'm saying it to explain why Pride is full of shit and that I have high standards beyond scamming people

11. trustdoesntrust Green Belt

trustdoesntrust
    These defenses of bogus martial artists always retreat to "yeah they suck, but at least they would be able to defend themselves on the street." How can the first half of that statement not correlate to the other?

12. Uchi Mata Gold Belt

Uchi Mata
    There are two assumptions people make about street fights, and both are wrong but useful to charlatans for different purposes. The first is that because the average person on the street doesn't know any martial arts that you'd easily be able to beat them up even if you weren't all that good, didn't regularly train in a strenuous manner, etc. This is a useful fiction because it allows people selling bullshit to keep selling it even when examples are all around that physicality, hard training, and training real arts that spar live, hard, and work in the ring/mat/cage is where it's at in terms of actually being able to handle yourself. This is generally tied up in the notion that the techniques which are illegal in MMA are what you're going to use, things like nut shots and eye gouges. Of course it's ludicrous, those same moves are open to real fighters, and the notion that someone who has only ever mimed a groin kick against non-resisting opponents and whose workouts consist mostly of kicking air and not sparring would somehow land that groin kick before getting punched in the face (presumably a novel and shocking experience for them) is laughable. The 'lethal self defense' stuff is alco connected to the second myth about street fights, namely that your opponent is some golden gloves D1 wrestler, and that because you wouldn't be able to compete with them with normal moves you need kung fu self defense because that's what they won't be ready for or prepared to handle. It's odd that you see bad moves defended alternately by both 'this might not work against a trained guy, but it will work great on the street' and 'this is an unusual move that no one will see coming no matter how much training they've had', but my experience with self defense focused people is that they'll use both in the same sentence.

The truth of it is that most people who train will never get in a street fight, and if they do chances are it'll be against someone who has been in street fights before (since most people don't pick fights but those who do do it often) and probably isn't going to stop the first time they get punched even if they don't have much technique. What you need to deal with people like that is definitely some solid, basic technical knowledge, but as much as anything else you need to be mentally and physically tough, in decent to good shape, and experienced enough at being hit that it doesn't freeze you. The only way to get those things is to train a real art that spars frequently to the point where getting hit, being tired, managing your energy, etc. all come naturally to you. The time to learn how to take a shot and keep going, or be exhausted and not panic is not the first time someone attacks you on the street. Yet that's pretty much where all the bullshit self defense arts leave you. It's why combat sport athletes have always outperformed self defense guys in MMA even if their individual combat sports are pretty far removed from real fighting: they're used to contact, they're in shape, and they're used to dealing with aggressive opponents putting mental and physical pressure on them. It's why I'd pick most high school varsity football players in a fight over Master Dave from your local non-contact kung fu school: they can take a shot, they're in shape, and they're mentally tough.

dimmyfinster, jack36767 and Habs fan like this.
  13. chubbman Yellow Card

chubbman
    i hope the girl in the first video goes full vigilante and breaks 10 arms

14. Was at Pride GP 2000 Brown Belt

Was at Pride GP 2000
    Read the threads man. "Which scools should I train at" "I've been training for 6 months am I getting better." "I want.to start training which style is best for me"

I personally know 10 guys on here that train. So I'm sure guys train but just like the rest of the world it is a very small percentage

15. jack36767 Brown Belt

jack36767
    And the way you put it you were implying it about the people specifically on the thread commenting.

And btw, while you tried to get personal to distract from the calling a spade a spade, if I met you in person I'm willing to bet money if you did not know me already I could come across as genuinely nice and glad hand the room... given that I'm the son of a former pentocostal preacher, grew up around those type of people, and coached in the South for several years, where false civility and 'southern charm' are used much in the same way the Gracie brothers do. It's actually not hard to see if you know what you are looking for. I just usually choose not to do that unless I'm dealing with suburban mommies because I have to

16. trustdoesntrust Green Belt

trustdoesntrust
    Well, for me, the street fighting authorities I most respect are privileged, overly-enthusiastic teenage girls who took a self defense correspondence course

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
    Uchi Mata likes this.