Fact: Dana has promoted the biggest boxing and MMA fights of all time

You know more people watched Ali fights then the moon landing right? We are talking like 700 million people watching Ali Box. Its not even close. Boxing was way bigger back in the Ali days
You do know that thrilla in manilla was the first ppv so I don't know where you getting 700 million people watching it.

People paid $100 for Mayweather vs Pacquiao, so you not realise how many people were watching it in pubs and clubs.

Don't let facts get in the way of a good story.

July 2, 2015
While promoting his fight against Chad Mendes at UFC 189, McGregor stoppped the "Conan O'Brien Show" to talk all things fighting. McGregor was asked if he would ever think about taking on Mayweather in a boxing match, and the answer was a resounding, "Duh!"

"If you’re asking would I like to fight Floyd Mayweather — I mean, who would not like to dance around the ring for $180 million?" McGregor said.

January 4, 2016
While discussing fellow boxer Andre Ward and the lack of attention he's recieved despite his immense talent, Mayweather used McGregor and former UFC champ Ronda Rousey as examples of how racism is still pervasive in sports.

January 5, 2016
McGregor fires back at Mayweather in an Instagram post, demanding that he never "bring race into my success again."

May 6, 2016
UK tabloid The Sun reports that Conor McGregor and Floyd Mayweather are on the verge of a billion-dollar fight.

May 6, 2016
Dana White immediately refutes the reports, saying that, "it's just a tabloid story."

<<<According to History, Dana White didn't even know about it.
He just the puppet that was asked to organise it.

Yup.... and what is the most watched movie of all time. Avatar? And hasn't that changed the world?

I mean, fucks sakes. I deal with idiots all day long. I'd like to talk to someone with a quarter of a brain in my free time.
at least you don't sound angry or like a grandpa

You know more people watched Ali fights then the moon landing right? We are talking like 700 million people watching Ali Box. Its not even close. Boxing was way bigger back in the Ali days
and no fighter was ever as popular as dempsey.

Therefor, Dana is the best MMA promoter and the best boxing promoter of all time.

McGregor was in both. McGregor is the most famous MMA fighter and the most drawing boxer of all time.

Biggest fights of all time list:

Boxing:
1) Fighter: Conor McGregor, Promoter: Dana White
2) Fighter: Muhammad Ali, Promoter: ?
MMA:
2) Fighter: Conor McGregor, Promoter: Dana White
3) Fighter: ?, Promoter: Dana White

That's the facts.

<FookIsThatGuy><Dana05>

foreman vs ali was watched by a billion people. mayweather mcgregor was two midgets doing rsi vs logan paul

Therefor, Dana is the best MMA promoter and the best boxing promoter of all time.

McGregor was in both. McGregor is the most famous MMA fighter and the most drawing boxer of all time.

Boxing:
MMA:

That's the facts.

<FookIsThatGuy><Dana05>

Oh

You do know that thrilla in manilla was the first ppv so I don't know where you getting 700 million people watching it.

People paid $100 for Mayweather vs Pacquiao, so you not realise how many people were watching it in pubs and clubs.

The available PPV audience in 1975 would have been very limited, M. Severely limited. The available PPV audience would have been in the thousands in 1975, not millions. According to Mike Trainer in 1981 there were only 800k to 1 million homes equipped to handle PPV in North America. In the late 80's it was still less than 10 million according to the PPV reports on the Leonard-Lalonde fight (apx 650k buys out of 9 million available homes according to sources). It wasn't until the 1990's when PPV started exceeding closed circuit showings as the main source of revenue for the boxers and promoters. But even then PPV availability was quite limited compared to what it is today, and also required much more effort than to simply sit on a couch and press a button. In the 90's a lot of people had to travel down to their local cable outlet, rent a device that they attached to the back of your cable box in order to descramble the signal, and then drive back to their cable outlet the next day to return it or face late charges. In 1991 there were only 16.5 million homes equipped to handle PPV compared to 100 million homes in today's age. Both according to Marc Taffet who was the head of HBO's PPV department for many years;

“At that time (1991), 16 and a half million homes in America were capable of receiving pay-per-view. We did 1.4 million buys that night at $35.95. We were shocked."

“I don’t even know if I can multiply the numbers, they’re so high,” Taffet said tongue in cheek. “There are 100 million homes today capable of receiving pay-per-view. I can’t even say the number because it’s so large. I do dream about it sometimes."

https://www.ringtv.com/388125-evand...oreman-the-pound-for-pound-pay-per-view-king/

Even the PPV availability of 15-20 years ago was quite limited to what it is today. The Holyfield-Tyson rematch only had a third of the PPV availabilty that today's market has, whereas Lewis-Tyson was half of today's;

"Although HBO and Showtime executives are cautious about making predictions, Gerbrandt says he thinks tomorrow's fight can break the record. The bout has the advantage of being available to 51 million homes that can order pay-per-view, which is 16 million more than for Holyfield-Tyson II."

https://www.nytimes.com/2002/06/07/...rs-pay-record-price-to-watch-tyson-lewis.html

You guys saying that Mayweather-Pacquiao or Mayweather-McGregor were the biggest fight of all time are basing that on a mass media platform that hasn't even existed for 3 decades now, and has only been widely available to consumers for the last decade or so. If that, because even the Mayweather-De La Hoya fight was only available to about 65 million people on PPV compared to the 100 million we see today.

If a fight like Tyson-Spinks can sell 600k PPVs when it was only made available to 5 million homes at $35 a pop (less available than Leonard-Lalonde from the same year due to the promoters blocking PPV in many big markets like New York and such), and then also had millions more who purchased closed circuit tickets for their local theater or arena showing of the fight, how many buys would that do 30 years later when 100 million households in North America are equipped to handle PPV by simply pressing a button? Tough to say, but we all know that fight would have done a hell of a lot more than the 600k buys it did at the time with the availability and conveniences that today's PPV fights have. Ditto fights like Holyfield-Foreman. If it can do 8.8% buy rate with 1.4 million buys out of an available 16.5 million homes that number would increase dramatically if it was available in 100 million homes of today's age. Or vice versa. What kind of PPV buy total does Mayweather-Pacquiao get if it happened 15, 20, 25, 30 years ago? It would have been a huge fight regardless of era, but not anywhere close to 4+ million buys I can tell you that.

All eras encounter PPV piracy as well. Today's it's illegal online streaming. Back in the 1990's it was the illegal "black boxes" that, if you didn't have one for yourself, you were liable to know someone who did. They were very common for people who were around back then. Insiders estimate that those black boxes with their descrambling chips inside cost cable companies billions of dollars a year in lost revenue. e.g. In 1991 the National Cable Television Association put the number at $4.7 billion for that year alone.

Thread derailed in the first round when told that Mayweather-Pacquaio was bigger than Mayweather-McGregor.

Secondly, Mayweather-McGregor was a Mayweather Promotions show. Dana didn't have shit to do with it from a promotional standpoint.

Boxing:
MMA:

That's the facts.

<FookIsThatGuy><Dana05>
box.jpg

It was on free TV buddy. Look it up! Ali vs Norton had more viewers then the moon landing. Floyd/Pac is not even close to as big as an Ali fight

4.6 million is bigger than 4.4 million the last time I checked.

It was on free TV buddy. Look it up! Ali vs Norton had more viewers then the moon landing. Floyd/Pac is not even close to as big as an Ali fight

Ali-Frazier and Ali-Norton would have have been closed circuit fights for North American viewers and then for some select areas of the world like the UK and such. But you're right, most of the viewers associated with that 700 million world-wide estimate would have been watching those fights for free.

What we do know is that when Ali did appear on free network television in North America against the likes of Dunn, Shavers, Spinks, etc, he was putting up television ratings that compared to what thre Super Bowl was doing, and even exceeded the highest rated Super Bowl at the time on at least one occasion when the rematch with Spinks drew a ridiculous 46.7 rating, meaning almost half of Americans with a television in 1978 were tuning into the fight. At the time it was the 2nd most watched television program in US history.

Reports suggest FOTC with Frazier vs Ali was viewed by more ppl in the states then the moon landing, not sure if that true but no modern fight can compare to that. Burt Lancaster did the pre fight interviews and Sinatra was a photographer at ringside none of that celebs just there to be seen shit like now.

Boxing:
MMA:

That's the facts.

<FookIsThatGuy><Dana05>

“Recent UFC fans might also be surprised to learn that history's largest mixed martial arts sporting events as measured by fan attendance have taken place exclusively outside of the United States. The current record for live attendance of an MMA event is now (and surely will be for some years to come) the August 2002 inaugural Pride Shockwave event held in Tokyo National Stadium in Tokyo, Japan. Reportedly 71,000 fans attended the event, a truly massive crowd for any event regardless of the sport. Pride Shockwave featured Mirko Filipovic defeating national hero Kazushi Sakuraba in the main event, and the event was such a success that the promotion's annual Shockwave series continued to draw some of the largest crowds in MMA history for years to come. Indeed, as is amply demonstrated by the listing below, 19 of the 20 largest events in MMA history as measured by fan attendance were Pride FC events.”

Ugh...... The thrilla in Manila makes any boxing event in the last 20 years and any MMA event of all time look small. You kids seem to think logic is a strait line. It isn't. How things affect the world is NOT = to $.

A whole continent was backing Ali. None of em were buying PPV's. But the government at the time declared a marital law and rounded up a couple thousand criminals and locked them up under the stadium. This fight had the entire fucking world watching. Not 4 mil on PPV. The WORLD!

I was alive at the time. I can't make any of you believe what it was like, but comparing Conor vs May almost makes me vomit. It makes me feel like the new generation really has no hope. No future that has no meaning.
This, all this.

You should be in a nursing home telling everyone about the good ol days.

Mayweather vs pacman is the biggest fight of all time.

Deal with it
You don't get it, one day you might, but right now you're just making yourself look silly.
Mayweather v paquiao was huge, but you're judging from ppv, in the days of Ali that wasn't really a thing, when people say the entire world watched the rumble in the jungle and the thriller in Manila it's not really an exaggeration, these fights are historical touchstones.
They also lived up to the hype, something mayweathers fights haven't done for years.

I would take Floyd as the biggest boxing promoter instead, Dana was just along for the ride, in MMA he has no competition.

Showtime and Mayweather's company did the lion's share of the promo production for the media tour. Conor did a lot to sell the fight by being himself.

What exactly did Dana do to promote that fight besides sit next to Conor on stage at those pressers looking like a massive bloated toad? He spent more time shitting on UFC fighters for not more like Conor than he did selling the fight.

The available PPV audience in 1975 would have been very limited, M. Severely limited. The available PPV audience would have been in the thousands in 1975, not millions. According to Mike Trainer in 1981 there were only 800k to 1 million homes equipped to handle PPV in North America. In the late 80's it was still less than 10 million according to the PPV reports on the Leonard-Lalonde fight (apx 650k buys out of 9 million available homes according to sources). It wasn't until the 1990's when PPV started exceeding closed circuit showings as the main source of revenue for the boxers and promoters. But even then PPV availability was quite limited compared to what it is today, and also required much more effort than to simply sit on a couch and press a button. In the 90's a lot of people had to travel down to their local cable outlet, rent a device that they attached to the back of your cable box in order to descramble the signal, and then drive back to their cable outlet the next day to return it or face late charges. In 1991 there were only 16.5 million homes equipped to handle PPV compared to 100 million homes in today's age. Both according to Marc Taffet who was the head of HBO's PPV department for many years;

“At that time (1991), 16 and a half million homes in America were capable of receiving pay-per-view. We did 1.4 million buys that night at $35.95. We were shocked."

“I don’t even know if I can multiply the numbers, they’re so high,” Taffet said tongue in cheek. “There are 100 million homes today capable of receiving pay-per-view. I can’t even say the number because it’s so large. I do dream about it sometimes."

https://www.ringtv.com/388125-evand...oreman-the-pound-for-pound-pay-per-view-king/

Even the PPV availability of 15-20 years ago was quite limited to what it is today. The Holyfield-Tyson rematch only had a third of the PPV availabilty that today's market has, whereas Lewis-Tyson was half of today's;

"Although HBO and Showtime executives are cautious about making predictions, Gerbrandt says he thinks tomorrow's fight can break the record. The bout has the advantage of being available to 51 million homes that can order pay-per-view, which is 16 million more than for Holyfield-Tyson II."

https://www.nytimes.com/2002/06/07/...rs-pay-record-price-to-watch-tyson-lewis.html

You guys saying that Mayweather-Pacquiao or Mayweather-McGregor were the biggest fight of all time are basing that on a mass media platform that hasn't even existed for 3 decades now, and has only been widely available to consumers for the last decade or so. If that, because even the Mayweather-De La Hoya fight was only available to about 65 million people on PPV compared to the 100 million we see today.

If a fight like Tyson-Spinks can sell 600k PPVs when it was only made available to 5 million homes at $35 a pop (less available than Leonard-Lalonde from the same year due to the promoters blocking PPV in many big markets like New York and such), and then also had millions more who purchased closed circuit tickets for their local theater or arena showing of the fight, how many buys would that do 30 years later when 100 million households in North America are equipped to handle PPV by simply pressing a button? Tough to say, but we all know that fight would have done a hell of a lot more than the 600k buys it did at the time with the availability and conveniences that today's PPV fights have. Ditto fights like Holyfield-Foreman. If it can do 8.8% buy rate with 1.4 million buys out of an available 16.5 million homes that number would increase dramatically if it was available in 100 million homes of today's age. Or vice versa. What kind of PPV buy total does Mayweather-Pacquiao get if it happened 15, 20, 25, 30 years ago? It would have been a huge fight regardless of era, but not anywhere close to 4+ million buys I can tell you that.

All eras encounter PPV piracy as well. Today's it's illegal online streaming. Back in the 1990's it was the illegal "black boxes" that, if you didn't have one for yourself, you were liable to know someone who did. They were very common for people who were around back then. Insiders estimate that those black boxes with their descrambling chips inside cost cable companies billions of dollars a year in lost revenue. e.g. In 1991 the National Cable Television Association put the number at $4.7 billion for that year alone.

do you think mike tyson would have been a billionaire today?

He made 300-500 million of dollars as a active boxer.

Back