Fact about Khabib that may surprise you.

I was meaning the techniques more so than the practitioners as in Judo throws and trips are used more effectively than freestyle wrestling techniques and Greco is used more effectively than both. Ideally you want to incorporate all 3 like Jones does though.

Greco, and even Judo take abnormal amounts of strength to be effective. Greco tends to be more complex in a lot of ways too. It's just not as effective in MMA, and probably won't ever be again.

Ideally you want to incorporate every single martial art to 100% effectiveness, but that's not going to happen. We've done a good job of condensing, and people have spent more time studying a variety of arts than before and typically longer. However, it's never going to be perfect, or probably even close.

Like I said before, things like Judo are add ons, that are probably best spent preparing something else, but when not can still have some use just not as much as you're losing out on. It's why it's hardly trained by most people and rightfully so.

He felt he wasn't good enough and didn't want to disgrace his family by taking second places on the olympics, so he went to mma and became 27-0 by the end of 2018.

His village has olympians lying around every 100m or so. Very difficult to succeed in wrestling there.

In the former eastern block and in the caucasus area, "wrestling" is like a generic concept ... they refer at judo as "judo wrestling".
a judoka, posting on the undeground forum (judom), with an extensible knowledge in wrestling and sambo, explained that wrestling (free and greco), judo, sambo are trained together. then athletes are competing in one of them, according to the needs, the potential, and even the prestige. in some areas wrestling is more prestigious, so the number one guy will wrestle and the 2nd one (who might maul most div 1 all american) will be forced to compete in judo. In others, judo is given more importance (and support), then the number one will be a judoka.
Khabib may still be a wrestler who fought in sambo to get some miles while training with olympic caliber wrestlers and judoka...

I think that what "unsuccessful" in this context means is misleading. It doesn't mean he is a bad wrestler. It, probably, means that he didn't medal in some major national or international competition. It isn't that weird in a competitive sport like wrestling especially in traditional wrestling powerhouse regions, like Dagestan, Kazakhstan, etc. The competition is fierce in Judo and Sambo too, so he was probably just inclined more towards those sports, in terms of natural talent and fondness.

I think that what "unsuccessful" in this context means is misleading. It doesn't mean he is a bad wrestler. It, probably, means that he didn't medal in some major national or international competition. It isn't that weird in a competitive sport like wrestling especially in traditional wrestling powerhouse regions, like Dagestan, Kazakhstan, etc. The competition is fierce in Judo and Sambo too, so he was probably just inclined more towards those sports, in terms of natural talent and fondness.

Why are Dagestan and Kazakhstan considered wrestling powerhouse regions when the US has more medals in Olympic freestyle wrestling than Russia and the Soviet Union combined?

Why are Dagestan and Kazakhstan considered wrestling powerhouse regions when the US has more medals in Olympic freestyle wrestling than Russia and the Soviet Union combined?
Well Kazakhstan is known for good wrestling but shouldn't be mentioned in the same way that Dagestan is. There are a few answers to your question.

-If the US has more medals its because youd be looking at all medals in the history of the Olympics and world championships, but more recently, in the last several decades, Russia/USSR has really distinguished themselves as the most successful team by far.

-Dagestan (and a few other Caucasus Republics) has such a wealth of wrestling talent that you can find wrestlers from that area venturing out and making world/Olympic teams all over the world. Canada, France, Spain, Bahrain, Brazil, Uzbekistan, Turkey, Azerbaijan, and many other countries have taken in wrestlers from that part of the world and those wrestlers did very well.

-The size of the talent pool. If you look at how many people and how many wrestlers a country the size of the USA has and compare it to the size/population of Dagestan, Ossetia, Chechnya, etc it is pretty crazy how much wrestling talent comes out of there.

In terms of athlete "production" and general involvement with the sport in the population, not necessarily medals, although i think the combined medals of all those former Soviet countries, Russia and the unified Soviet team before the dissolution of the union are more than the US (not claiming it is, haven't researched and i don't claim it as a fact).
But, as i said in my post, i am talking about REGIONS not as countries in international competitions.

Khabib may still be a wrestler who fought in sambo to get some miles while training with olympic caliber wrestlers and judoka...
I don't think many people realize this about sambo. I don't think at this point in history there have been many top level athletes who set out from the beginning to be great at sambo. Its judo guys, wrestlers, and even boxers/kickboxers/karate practitioners who tried it to get more mat time in and did really well, liked the less restrictive rule set, and/or did it for fun.

Khabib may have his credentials in sambo but he came up under judo coaches, his earliest competitive history was wrestling, and he spent the bulk of his time training in some of the best wrestling clubs in the world.

, although i think the combined medals of all those former Soviet countries, .
That's a good point too, all these medalists from Armenia, Georgia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Ukraine, would have been under the USSR.

That's a good point too, all these medalists from Armenia, Georgia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Ukraine, would have been under the USSR.

Yeah, if you combine these countries' (and even more than the ones you mentioned) medals with Russia's after the dissolution of the Union (1990/1991 if i recall correctly) AND the medals during the USSR era they are bound to be more than the US medals, aren't they?

You guys do realize that Khabib never won medals in wrestling right?

His main sport was Sambo

Well Fedor and Ronda are my Judo choices. Who you got? Gold medalist Kevin Jackson who got armbarred in less than 30 seconds? Cejudo? Most of the good MMA wrestlers are Greco guys.
Im sorry but this post is wrong. First off all, how many Kevin Jackson fights have you watched? You point to a quick armbar defeat to Frank Shamrock as some sort of proof that Jackson sucked or wasn't very good, but at that time in MMA Frank could've done that to just about anybody in the sport. Of all the early big shot wrestlers in MMA Kevin Jackson grasped grappling as good as any of them.

Secondly, if you look at all the best wrestlers in the history of MMA, how many pure Greco guys are there?
-Lindland was a JUCO national champ and very good division I folkstyle wrestler. He also has a freestyle win over a reigning world champion.

-Randy was a 3x NCAA DI All American and 2x finalist. 3-4 wins away from having one of the most successful NCAA careers ever.

-Hendo was a Junior National champ freestyler, and NCAA division I qualifier in folkstyle.

-Chael was an NCAA DI All American and medaled at some big freestyle tournaments after college.

-Even Rulon Gardner was a fantastic NCAA wrestler.

Who else has there been? Im not saying Greco isn't useful in MMA, it definitely is, but some people see a guy in MMA hitting a big throw or slam and they think "Greco!" but freestyle features all of the same throws and takedowns that Greco does.

P.S. Aside from the few Greco guys who tried MMA in the very early days of MMA, if you want to see how pure Greco guys do in MMA, (as close to pure Greco guys as you're gonna get), look at the following who are coming up now:

Damian Janikowski
Amir Aliakbari
Marthin Hamlet Nielsen
Mark O. Madsen
Mihran Harutyunyan

These guys are world class Greco guys from foreign countries. This means no NCAA style experience (obviously) and they focused on Greco from a very early age.

Yeah, if you combine these countries' (and even more than the ones you mentioned) medals with Russia's after the dissolution of the Union (1990/1991 if i recall correctly) AND the medals during the USSR era they are bound to be more than the US medals, aren't they?
Im not sure but our point is, it is A. a shit ton more then what the USSR/Russia are credited with, and B. more relevant because its recent. I think Team USA dominated the earlier Games in wrestling and racked up a ton of medals. Not that we aren't still very strong, we are the current reigning world champs, but Russia has been killing it last few decades.

You guys do realize that Khabib never won medals in wrestling right?

His main sport was Sambo
What is your point by stating that he never won medals in wrestling? Not being a prick I just want to know so I can reply to your comment appropriately.

What is your point by stating that he never won medals in wrestling? Not being a prick I just want to know so I can reply to your comment appropriately.
As in Khabib was never a wrestling Olympian that competed for medals

His competition sport was Sambo, not wrestling

Khabib is a MMA grappler, his success came from Combat Sambo, not Sport Sambo.

His career was guided by his father, who had experience in wrestling, judo and sambo. He probably chose the best path for his son considering his qualities and weaknesses..

We of the Eagles,the pro Khabib coalition,want to say that we are fans of your work,and to continue w such threads.

Back