Facing the center line:

You are going too far here. Lets keep boxing with boxing, and not have it carry over to all of life's activities. Christ, some of you guys act like you have discovered the secret to life with this Old School Boxing. Next you will tell me if I want to get a girls phone number, I should aline my lead foot to her centerline when talking to her. Lead fist in a threatening manner, weight distribution at 70/30 etc.

Sorry for the highjack, but come on guys.

Now back to the thread topic.

So what about this makes you say that it wouldn't be effective for Muay Thai? I can assure that it is, but I'm interested to know why you think it makes sense for boxing but not Muay Thai?

Bay Area, you may be onto something there.

"If you align your lead leg with the girl in an open stance, subtly step outside the wall and slowly talk and turn her toward your rear hand. This will place you into position to put your hand onto the small of her back and facing the same direction, forming a sense of rapport and willingness to give up her number..."

So what about this makes you say that it wouldn't be effective for Muay Thai? I can assure that it is, but I'm interested to know why you think it makes sense for boxing but not Muay Thai?

do you have a video of muay thai fighters using the centre line method , not a picture but a video .
not trying to start an argument , i am genuinely curious

i can see the advantages in boxing and how it would be used in combination with the philly shell , i just want to see it used in muay thai .

That bought me to a question: I saw guys like Andre Ward have their front foot and back foot set a lot like a riding a skateboard. While afaik i understand it is to get a bit more reach on the jab but in all they still very much threaten and facing the centre line the entire time yes?

Ward doesn't usually have the skateboard feet, in fact it was Dawson who did more so when they fought. Which is why Dawson got beaten up, he wasn't facing Ward effectively for almost that entire fight. But it also depends on HOW these guys throw their punches, or what they do once you ARE in close. Guys who step around well despite their lead foot pointing away from you have an easier time compensating for it.

sinister, what's your opinion of the jab in context with the centerline? Do you think the jab should be thrown while facing their centerline or do you think it's better to get an angle before throwing it? And I'm referring to footwork angle, not angle created from stance.

I think it's better to establish the jab as a threat to the center line. Once the opponent is threatened and responding to said threats, theoretically, you're controlling the pace of the fight.

Yes! I've been waiting for this thread.

Sinister, my boxing coaches are obsessive with me going to my right outside their lead foot (southpaw). Personally i find I'm very successful working from inside of their foot with jabs and countering any right hands they throw since i don't have to worry about their lead hand anymore.

The main problem i have when i move to the outside is exactly what this thread is about. I take a step with my right foot to the right with the intention of pivoting my back foot around to face their centre line again. but for that brief moment they have me at a disadvantage (their foot facing my centre line, mine off).

I've been caught a few times this way, what would you suggest the best way for me to move to the outside would be? I though of moving the rear leg around first but doesn't that break a cardinal rule of footwork? (foot closest to the direction i want to go should move first to prevent feet crossing).

This is difficult to explain, because you can move around the rear leg first and not lose footing, but you'd have to use your heel to pivot and not your front toe in order to keep your head safe.

My question about the old timey pictures: it seems like a lot of them are posed pictures, similar to the pictures taken today at weigh ins. We know for the modern pics, these poses aren't how the guys look when they actually fight.

So what is your reasoning behind picking these pictures?

Here's the thing. First of all we shouldn't always assume that what we're looking at is incorrect. It's kind of embarrassing for anyone claiming to be a student of the game to assume such a thing without possibly first inquiring why something is different than they're used to seeing. So, moving on...the first photo, each of those men are getting ready to punch. But they seem far apart! Well, that would have to do with how boxing back then more resembled fencing. Attacking from afar was done using lunging motions:

92.jpg

It's possible one of those guys was planning to attack, and one defend. But HOW they did each was a bit different than what we'd see today. Not incorrect and stupid. The lunging motions they used back then began with exaggerated movements. A long time ago we examined this piece, look at the film clip in here with Jim Corbett and Gene Tunney:

http://orphanfilmsymposium.blogspot.com/2008/05/pathex-95-mm-fight-picture.html

Note the winding of the arms, particularly when throwing the straight left (which was later simplified into a jab). This was a deceptive tactic, for all basic purposes a feint, only built into the way they move.

The second and third photos are simply poses. The second photo squaring off. Though judging just by their postures, I'd wager the guy on the left is more of a counter-puncher and the guy on the right is more of an aggressor. The last photo is a pose of closer combat. But in the footage provided above, that should answer questions about how they moved, which in-turn would answer questions about how they stood. Finally, I provided footage of McLarnin and Canzoneri, two greats, who both used motions seen in the footage above, and they didn't fight THAT long ago.

I find nit-picking stuff like this simply because A) one lacks understanding and B) one has a problem with the term "old school" simply because a guy they don't like says it a lot to be insufficient reason to attempt to degrade things like this. Especially considering that not only did I include a VERY modern fighter in Broner in the demonstrations, but also young fighters being trained today. It's not about "old school"...it's about correct and incorrect.

you can still face your opponent without having your lead toe pointing at his centerline right? would the concept be the same?

Sort of, but you lose the element of threat. Threatening to punch someone isn't enough. Threatening to hurt them is the idea. When your attacks are aimed in the right direction, and applied with good leverage, you can and will hurt them. However, this is only a beginner's concept. Once you get it down, you can then play with manipulation of the center line, which is a whole other game.

I don't know man. I don't even know what Old School Boxing is. If it is the way Nuke was standing in his videos, then yeah, I have a problem with it working for MT. There is a reason you stand square and have your hands up in MT.

excuse me? you said it wasn't a style and than went on to say it was actually a style, so witch one is it? and what exactly are you insinuating when you say it's not a style, what is it then? this is why these arguments blow up all the time, it's just some way of fighting just like any other way of fighting. Why does there always have to be this idea of my way of fighting is better than every body else's way and everything else is just complete crap?

I never once indicated that it's a particular "style" of fighting. Principals have changed over time, we know that...so what do you call principals of older times? Old school is just a hip term for that. Back then, they simply called it "boxing." But a lot of fighters had common principals, from there they built their own styles. Jose Napoles, Joe Louis, Beau Jack, Charley Burley, some of my favorite "old school" fighters...each with different styles than the other.

I don't know man. I don't even know what Old School Boxing is. If it is the way Nuke was standing in his videos, then yeah, I have a problem with it working for MT. There is a reason you stand square and have your hands up in MT.

I'd appreciate it if you not drag your dislike for Nuke into every single thread he either posts in, or where someone posts anything related to things of the past. If you don't like the term "old school"...no one is going to force you to post in a thread where people are saying it.

If you extend the principal to MT, in my best guess, is that wherever you are you want to be able to throw your strike into the heart of the target without having to take a step or pivot to get there. For example, some people teach slipping a jab while taking a step forward to the outside so that you are hip to hip, looking over each other's shoulders. You would then pivot in to the target and throw an elbow. That breaks the OSP because you chose to give up your threatening posture. Instead, you would want the slip to contain the footwork you need so that your next strike goes through their center.

To be very clear what I am trying to get at is it is possible to be more square and still be successful in fighting, specially in a mma environment where there is more than just boxing to be considered.

How would you take the centerline philosophy and the old school philosophies and concetps into an mma environnement? What was their way of approaching wrestling? Was it the same approach as wrestling is done today?

hell yeah!!! oldschool boxing is the answer to all your needs!!!!oldschool boxing for basketball!!! oldschool boxing for tennis!!!! oldschool boxing for soccer!!! oldschool boxing for swimming!!! oldschool boxing for rugby!!!!!!!! oldschool boxing for wrestling!!!! oldschool boxing for bjj!!!!!!!!

:icon_chee

Seems to be the standard response on here.

To be very clear what I am trying to get at is it is possible to be more square and still be successful in fighting, specially in a mma environment where there is more than just boxing to be considered.

How would you take the centerline philosophy and the old school philosophies and concetps into an mma environnement? What was their way of approaching wrestling? Was it the same approach as wrestling is done today?

I wonder where you were when we covered this stuff. But wrestling and boxing used to be VERY complimentary. Before happenin' fitness Gyms were invented, boxers trained with wrestler's to enhance their strength. And John L. Sullivan's trainer was a wrestler. One can wrestle without being completely square in their beginning position. If we look closely enough, we can find similarities between older boxing positions, and wrestling positions:

burns01-02-16.jpg

DSTRYRSG.com_ISWA_ASA_SAMBO_CATCH_NORTH_AMERICAN-THROWDOWN_2.png

Note where the guy with the advantage in each is facing, toe-wise.

old_grapplers.gif

An old grappling diagram.

Might i add that more than a few of MMA strikers uses a more bladed type stance but it doesn't really hamper their ability to takedown or takedown defense at all. JDS, Frankie Edgar, Bj Penn....plenty.

I think there's a reason most coaches don't teach the "old school" boxing stance for Muay Thai. Personally, I like Bas Rutten's/the Dutch's take on the MT fighting stance. It's wide enough to check kicks but also lends itself to some nice boxing, too. Four years ago a good buddy of mine trained in Holland with Allistair, Valentijn, Cor Hemmers, and the late Ramon Dekkers and what he brought back really changed my stand-up game so I might be biased, though.

For sure there is an advantage with this in wrestling, basically in that first picture his lead foot is deep inside the position of his opponent and helps him set up that fireman's carry he is starting.

In wrestling that is very common, when you shoot in you want to get in deep into your opponent's position as possible to get to their body. Depending on the takedown you are going (double/single ect...) for, you might or not might not have that foot planted right in there like he is doing in that picture. I completely agree with you that it's important in all sports to align the lead foot. This is a common principal and isn't just something that is limited to boxing or some form of boxing done at a certain period of time in history, this is just good body mechanics. This is just common sense, it's human anatomy, it's a necessary part of effective fighting.

Last edited:
I think there's a reason most coaches don't teach the "old school" boxing stance for Muay Thai. Personally, I like Bas Rutten's/the Dutch's take on the MT fighting stance. It's wide enough to check kicks but also lends itself to some nice boxing, too. Four years ago a good buddy of mine trained in Holland with Allistair, Valentijn, Cor Hemmers, and the late Ramon Dekkers and what he brought back really changed my stand-up game so I might be biased, though.

I hate to bring back Vicharnnoi's vids up again, but check him out. Notice the Vincharnnoi's relatively bladed body, weight on the back foot, and his ability threaten the centreline and control the range. These things are very similar to old school boxing stance and principals.

Also note that this fight is from 30+ years ago. Thai guys fight muay thai in thailand. Can't get anymore authentic than that. So there's room for application of these principals in muay thai or any other arts that included kicking.

Last edited:

that's because old school boxing principles have a lot of things in common with karate. Most of those guys that stand more sideways in mma and in kickboxing come from a karate background and use this very effectively in mma. Like you said they stand just sideways enough to get the most benefits from both. That's why I say if you like old school boxing and want to use those principles in mma or kickboxing, karate is a great art for you to train.

I hate to bring back Vicharnnoi's vids up again, but check him out. Notice the Vincharnnoi's relatively bladed body, weight on the back foot, and his ability threaten the centreline and control the range.

Also note that this fight is from 30+ years ago. Thai guys fight muay thai in thailand. Can't get anymore authentic than that. So there's room for application of these principals in muay thai or any other arts that included kicking.

Like I said previously, he is probably using a more karate based style of fighting but any fighting art can use that same principle of aligning your front foot with their centerline, it's just good fundamentals, you need to align yourself properly with your opponent, that's common sense. If you consider what part of the world that is in and it's geographical proximity to japan I am willing to bet he trained some karate, that is how they stand, a lot of the same principals, there's nothing wrong with that style of fighting as long as you train it long enough and can leg check out of it.

For sure there is an advantage with this in wrestling, basically in that first picture his lead foot is deep inside the position of his opponent and helps him set up that fireman's carry he is starting.

In wrestling that is very common, when you shoot in you want to get in deep into your opponent's position as possible to get to their body. I completely agree with you that it's important in all sports to align the lead foot. This is a common principal and isn't just something that is limited to boxing or some form of boxing done at a certain period of time in history, this is just good body mechanics. This is just common sense, it's human anatomy, it's a necessary part of effective fighting.

Right. And there's subtle differences (some not so subtle in application). Wrestlers are more manipulative of the center line. They also tend to disguise it with turning, remove the ability of the opponent to get to it. This is allowable because it's not crucial in wrestling to NOT square-up. In boxing, the center line is more difficult to conceal in this manner and still fight effectively. Yet we don't manipulate it, we attack it with fists (and theoretically, other arts with other limbs).

Just that in boxing specifically, the WHY and HOW of this are being lost over time. I hear trainers say "keep your eyes up" or "face forward"...but IMO that's much too watered-down. It says nothing of the advantages that could be gained from simply never facing the wrong way.

I hate to bring back Vicharnnoi's vids up again, but check him out. Notice the Vincharnnoi's relatively bladed body, weight on the back foot, and his ability threaten the centreline and control the range.

I saw that video in the other thread. Vinch has a very solid stance. It's a lot like mine, actually, but my weight distribution is more 50/50. To my eyes the stance Vinch displays in that video and the stance used by boxers in Sinister's pictures and videos are very different. I've been doing this stuff for a while so I like to believe I know what I'm looking at.

Like I said previously, he is probably using a more karate based style of fighting but any fighting art can use that same principle of aligning your front foot with their centerline, it's just good fundamentals, you need to align yourself properly with your opponent, that's common sense.

I'm just drawing some similarity here as evidence of how these principals can be link and apply in different rule set.

On other note, i just found a crap load of old school muay thai fights, most of them are from 1970-circa. Tonight is going to be busy.

I saw that video in the other thread. Vinch has a very solid stance. It's a lot like mine, actually, but my weight distribution is more 50/50. To my eyes the stance Vinch displays in that video and the stance used by boxers in Sinister's pictures and videos are very different. I've been doing this stuff for a while so I like to believe I know what I'm looking at.

His stance look a lot like Jack Johnson's stance. Minus the raised lead shoulder and the hands are up to the temple, everything else is almost identical.
Corbis-PL8348.jpg

I'd appreciate it if you not drag your dislike for Nuke into every single thread he either posts in, or where someone posts anything related to things of the past. If you don't like the term "old school"...no one is going to force you to post in a thread where people are saying it.

I wasn't "dissing" Nuke, rather I was using his stance as a point of reference for Old School Boxing. Just trying to pinpoint what Old School Boxing is because it is a very vague term. So assuming that Nuke's stance is Old School Boxing, my problem with it is it has a weak base for Muay Thai. Im sure there are MT fighters we can pick out that are successful with an Old School Boxing stance. But the bottom line is you need a strong base for MT. Any coach will tell you that. And that strong base comes from standing square. It's been beaten to death that your lead leg will get killed using a bladed stance in MT, and certain posters are tired of hearing it, but its the truth. You need to be able to give and take in MT. Darting in and out bladed is not good for MT. You also need to launch roundhouses from either leg at anytime, and standing square is the optimal position to do so. Further more..the teep, the jab of MT, is most effective from a square stance. Why stand bladed when it renders your main weapon ineffective?

Again, im sure we can find a MT fighter or two on YouTube fighting like a freak, but the above are basics of any MT school. If not, then I don't know what Muay Thai is.

Back