Facebook killed message board forums, how long before forums officially die off

Youngsters don't even use Facebook. It's all about Snapchat for them.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/feb/16/parents-killed-it-facebook-losing-teenage-users

I can only assume places like rap forums are dying off because they're not niche enough and there is too much competition. Every rap site has a comment section, so it's much easier to just rant on those instead of joining a forum.

yeah the comment section on articles where you can log in using facebook is basically where most people discuss topics now its convenient and you dont have to go through a registration process just log in using facebook or twitter or whatever

Rapmusic.com was the king of rap sites, they started in 1998 and had so much traffic now its dead but it died when the owner sold it, He sold a site called lipstick alley that was apart of it for like 3 million or something.

The original owner owned a screen printing business he printed T shirts and was making good money doing that.

The site died shortly after he sold it the new owners never did anything to improve the website I have no clue why they even bothered buying it if they were just going to let it die off.

I always get hit with the "BUT YOU USE FORUMS" when I say I despise social media. Different imo.

Twitter = number 1 problem in the world, over Syria and other war torn countries imo. Needs to die.
Facebook = started out good. turned into garbage.

Instagram is actually good I'd say - ironically because you can't go on huge tangents writing wise and post nudity.

I like instagram it doesn't take away from forums and its just a picture posting service and stream its unique in that way no issue with it at all

Facebook bugs me because of the data sharing BS, and havin to send an ID to recover a password wtf?

My folks love it though, so I don't want it to die off they were so happy finding people from back home they hadn't spoken to in over 40 years.

My mom literally cried when she found her child hood friend from the Islands they keep in contact that way.

Just wish they didn't spy on their users.

yeah the comment section on articles where you can log in using facebook is basically where most people discuss topics now its convenient and you dont have to go through a registration process just log in using facebook or twitter or whatever

Rapmusic.com was the king of rap sites, they started in 1998 and had so much traffic now its dead but it died when the owner sold it, He sold a site called lipstick alley that was apart of it for like 3 million or something.

The original owner owned a screen printing business he printed T shirts and was making good money doing that.

The site died shortly after he sold it the new owners never did anything to improve the website I have no clue why they even bothered buying it if they were just going to let it die off.

It'd be interesting to see what would have happened if it didn't change ownership. I can imagine that a lot old members would stop posting because they're growing up and can't relate to alot of new hip hop and at the same time there probably wouldn't be too many youngsters joining.

It'd be interesting to see what would have happened if it didn't change ownership. I can imagine that a lot old members would stop posting because they're growing up and can't relate to alot of new hip hop and at the same time there probably wouldn't be too many youngsters joining.
at first nobody left but it was after the original owner left completely and stopped posting, when they bought it he said he would stick around the website for a while he did for a few months as a mod and it was great, then he would only pop in once in a while after two years he was never there anymore and the new owners changed the logo and look of the site and had it down for a week or so

The new owner didn't interact with the people and the people lost interest and jumped ship to different hip hop sites.

If the original owner was still there it would have been alive, they would have a wednesday chat on the forum back in the day using AIM it was filled with like 2 thousand people, he was getting people to write articles so he had steady front page of articles before he sold it and it was getting massive traffic from everywhere especially canada and europe

I remember back in 2008 they would have like 50 thousand active members daily on the forums and over 80 thousand guests that was the peak.

Its sad how it died off, it was one of the funner message boards for real it was like a community.

The original owners name was Jeff he was cool, I think he kept in contact with a few members he chilled with them in real life he he was a bald older white guy a real old hip hop head he is like 59 now.

Whats crazy is one of the people who used to post there said the site could have made a lot more money if he added Adsense to it back in 2006 when it first came out, he also sold it for relatively cheap.

when Adsense first came out high traffic websites who used it were making millions, Plenty of Fish the dating site was earning over 10 million dollars off of adsense the first year they used it.

Now most people are ad blind and use ad block so its more difficult to earn money from it. But at the time if he took advantage of the adsense he would have had a lot of money rolling in.

I'd rather occupy a place like Sherdog, where the emphasis is on exchanging of ideas.
images

Tbh forums have slowly morphed into a place for people on the spectrum to get there social fix. Every day you see me posting on sherdog is another day someone doesn't find me hanging from something.

<NoneOfMy>

You think the misc was active 4 years ago? Idk man. That’s about the time I stopped posting there. It was active at that time I suppose, but it was a lot more active before that, with better threads. Misc is better off dying imo.

You think the misc was active 4 years ago? Idk man. That’s about the time I stopped posting there. It was active at that time I suppose, but it was a lot more active before that, with better threads. Misc is better off dying imo.
Somewhere between 2012 and 2013 seems to be when traffic started dying on a lot of forums. Including here.

Facebook said they will make a private membership for those who dont want their personal data tracked but you have to pay monthly, people will either be turned off for having to pay monthly so their data doesn't get saved or they will pay it because they are so obsessed and brand loyal to facebook.

I hope forums make a comeback, I don't care about posting on facebook, I like forums to learn and read and ask and share stories and come back to interact

There is absolutely no chance I am going to give Facebook one red cent. I can't believe some other service provider (Yahoo, MSN, etc.) hasn't created a successful rival to Facebook.

Somewhere between 2012 and 2013 seems to be when traffic started dying on a lot of forums. Including here.

yeah thats when forums started dying out, its weird, they were going strong for so long

Several of them just died off, Rapmusic.com is dead it guts me every time that place was awesome back in the day

also howardforums I used to read and post on there back when I needed cell phone advice now you get maybe one or two threads a day, that forum had over 1 million active users, now it only has 15 thousand active users.

I hope Sherdog never goes away, this is the best forum but I have a suspicion they are going to sell it again or shut down and get rid of the forums to make way for their own online shows, and news coverage, like MMAfighting on SBN where Ariel and luke thomas host shows and those sports blog podcasts make millions a year, sherdog is probably thinking the forums are dead weight.

The misc was still active in 2013 I think, that was the last year when it was active, The IFBB section which is now the Pro section is DEAD and that was my favorite section along with the supplement section

The misc is dead, and the subsections like MMA and sports misc are dead, I was shocked visiting the sports section and the threads are only a few from today, before it would be filled with threads and multiple posted daily now only a few are recent

Its shocking because one would think BB.com would still be alive since they have a store front with articles, usually websites who have more than just a forum their forum stays active plus bb.com lets you log in with facebook now to make it convenient they even had their own version of facebook called bodyspace, not sure if that is active because I never bothered making an account, but it seems a lot of older 30 year olds and up just post on their bodyspace and not on the forums.

Tbh forums have slowly morphed into a place for people on the spectrum to get there social fix. Every day you see me posting on sherdog is another day someone doesn't find me hanging from something.

<NoneOfMy>

Remember when Sherdog had PRO fighters posting on here? I remember back in 2006 thru 2010 and seeing Bas rutten, Enson and several others with accounts on here, now no more. I think it was Ask a pro section that is no longer around.

yeah thats when forums started dying out, its weird, they were going strong for so long

Several of them just died off, Rapmusic.com is dead it guts me every time that place was awesome back in the day

also howardforums I used to read and post on there back when I needed cell phone advice now you get maybe one or two threads a day, that forum had over 1 million active users, now it only has 15 thousand active users.

I hope Sherdog never goes away, this is the best forum but I have a suspicion they are going to sell it again or shut down and get rid of the forums to make way for their own online shows, and news coverage, like MMAfighting on SBN where Ariel and luke thomas host shows and those sports blog podcasts make millions a year, sherdog is probably thinking the forums are dead weight.
It's a shame because imo the site has never been better. Much more user friendly and functional than when I joined. Better mods and less trolls. But there's noticeably less traffic now than when I joined.

Remember when Sherdog had PRO fighters posting on here? I remember back in 2006 thru 2010 and seeing Bas rutten, Enson and several others with accounts on here, now no more. I think it was Ask a pro section that is no longer around.
Yeah the only fighter I still see posting on here is Ben Saunders. The trolls ran off most of the fighters that used to post here. Which is too bad, hearing all these crazy stories straight from the fighters used to be a big part of the sites appeal.

It's a shame because imo the site has never been better. Much more user friendly and functional than when I joined. Better mods and less trolls. But there's noticeably less traffic now than when I joined.
thats the sad part if you look at the majority of forums now they look nice, functional and easy to use, all the updating and allowing members to now log in with or sign up with facebook or twitter on other message boards yet nobody is posting still

they rather just post on the websites facebook comments under articles.

Sherdog looks awesome now its why I joined recently, because it was the last of the active forums.

I dont like reddit because you cant bump threads to get replies or answers like with traditional forums.

Back